Process NSLDS Request
Purpose: Use this document as a reference on how to run the NSLDS Request process using ctcLink.
Audience: Financial Aid staff
The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is a centralized source for a student's federal financial aid history. Schools can request NSLDS data and incorporate key elements into the awarding and packaging routines. NSLDS data is sent to schools on the ISIR, on a financial aid history request, or based on a transfer- monitoring request. You can view NSLDS data loaded using the NSLDS Inquiry components, designed to match the NSLDS file structure.
This QRG demonstrates the three steps for processing a NSLDS request.
- Assign Checklist
- Validate Checklist
- Process NSLDS
The checklist assignment and Transfer Monitoring request must be run on the same day.
The subsequent processing requires a Monitor Start date that coincides with the checklist assign date.
Assign checklist using 3C engine for students requiring transfer monitoring. Begin by navigating to the Run 3C Engine page.
Navigation: Main Menu > Campus Community > Run 3C Engine
Enter new or existing Run Control ID.
Populate the 3C Engine Parameters Tab
- Process 3C’s section = Population Selection checkbox.
- Academic Institution = Desired Institution
- Administrative Function = FINA
- Event ID = (Description) I-Transfer Alert Process Compl *Note Event ID will differ between institutions
Population Selection section:
- Selection Tool = PS Query
- Query Name = CTC_FA_SB_PS_NSLDS_TM_CHKL_REQ
The query criteria is a student is not enrolled in Summer or Fall term, has a Federal Item Type in an offered status of greater than zero, and does not already have the checklist assigned.
- OR CTC_FA_NSLDS_TM_CHKL_REQ_2
The query criteria is a student not enrolled for the prompted term, has a Federal Item Type in an offered status of greater than zero, and does not already have a checklist assigned.
Select Edit Prompts and enter:
- Aid Year
- Checklist Item
* Remember - Select Preview Selection and choose a student listed to validate in later section.
Populate Manage Duplicate Assignment Tab
- Under Duplicate Communication Check choose Match from the Variable Data drop down menu.
- Select Run.
- From the Process Scheduler Request page select OK.
- Select Process Monitor.
- Select Refresh until Run Status reads Success and Distribution Status reads Posted.
Validate Checklist Assigned
Navigation: Main Menu > Financial Aid > View Financial Aid Status
Ensure the checklist has been added to the student checklist.
Begin by navigating to the Process NSLDS Request page.
Navigation: Main Menu > Financial Aid > File Management > NSLDS > Process NSLDS Request
Create Transfer Monitoring Request
Enter the following in the Parameters section:
- School Code
- Aid Year
- Branch Code
- File Path
Under Population Selection:
- Check the Population Selection checkbox
- Choose PS Query from the Selection Tool drop down menu
- Query Name: CTC_FA_SB_PS_NSLDS_REQ
Select Edit Prompts and enter the following:
- Aid Year
- Checklist (The first three letters of the code are institution specific. Example: ESP062)
- Under Request Type choose the Transfer Monitor only radio button.
- Under Transfer Monitoring Parameters choose following:
- Enrollment Date = 1/5/20xx (Term Start Date)
- Monitor Begin Date = Current Date (same date as checklist assignment)
- Select Preview Selection Results.
- Select Run and OK from the Process Monitor page.
Verify that the details in the Message Log file states that the NSLDS Request file <file path name used above> TRNINFIN.## successfully created.
Sample message: NSLDS Request file /u01/app/psrepo/Interface/CSTRANSFER/WA171/NSLDS2016/ TRNINFIN.01
Note the TRNINFIN.xx file created to use during the Upload/Download process.
You have successfully processed a NSLDS Request.
End of procedure.