Message Center - Sending Messages in Batch
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to send batch emails using Message Center in ctcLink.
Audience: Student Services Staff
Navigation: Main Menu > HighPoint > Message Center > Process > Send Messages
Use the Find an Existing Value tab to search for an existing Run Control ID, or create a new one.
- To create a new Run Control: click the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter a unique Run Control ID.
- Click the Add button.
Selection Tool: Users can use a PeopleSoft query or an external file to identify students.
External File: If external file is selected, select
- File source: Upload
- Click the Upload File button.
- Click Choose File and identify file to upload.
- Click the Upload button.
- Owner: Users can use Public or Private Queries.
- Query Name: Input or Look up the Name of the query.
- Update Prompts: If the query has prompts the yellow Update Prompts button will appear, select prompt values which will display below the button.
- Query Manager link: This link will open Query Manager in a new window.
- View IDs link: This link will allow users to view the IDs selected by the query.
- View Queries link: Will show the SQL for the query.
Queries fields should include Student ID as well as any variable data items required based on the administrative function selected. The variable data fields required will show in the box labeled Variable Data Fields that must be in data source, once the Populate Message from Letter Code Section is filled in.
- Institution: Select from drop down list.
- Department: Select Department that is sending the message.
- Regarding: Select the general message subject area.
- Subject: Input the specific message subject.
- Allow Replies: Selecting this check box will allow the student to respond to the message via the Message Center interface.
If Allow Replies is selected, the student can have a threaded conversation with the college via this message. Colleges will need to identify users to manage replies to the message. See linked QRG for more details
Populate Message Text From Letter Code
- Function: Select from drop down. You must have 3C Group Security for the function to be able to select it from the drop down menu.
- Category: Select from drop down.
- Context: Select from drop down.
- Letter: Select from drop down.
- The Message Text will populate from the Letter code set up.
For details on setting up the Message Center Letter Template, see the linked QRG
Populating Message Text From Letter Code is OPTIONAL Users can leave this section blank and skip to step 3. However, without adding Letter Code details a 3C Communication code will not be added to the student's Communication Management page for tracking and reporting.
- Thread Expiration: If you want the thread to expire select the check box and identify time period fields for expiration of the message.
When setting message expiration, please note, that messages are not automatically removed from the student's Message Center box on the date specified. A global batch process has to be run to remove expired threads. This process will be scheduled and run by ERP Support.
Running the Process to Send Messages to the Message Center
- Scroll to the top of the page, click the yellow Run button.
- Verify that the Send Messages process is selected.
- Click the OK button.
- Click the Process Monitor link.
- Click Refresh until the Run Status displays as Success and the Distribution Status displays as Posted, the process is complete.
- To verify student messages sent/received, users can view the messages in the Student Services Center.
Navigation: Main Menu > Campus Community > Student Services Center (Student).
Unread messages will display as Unread until the Student enters the message center and views the message.