Communications - Create a Communication Data Source
Purpose: Use this document to create PS Queries for any additional data elements that are needed besides the Generic Process Data.
Audience: ERP Support Staff
Communication Data Sources and Report Definitions are set up by ERP Support. This QRG gives a details regarding the process but college users will need to submit an ERP support ticket to have these created
Create a Communication Data Source
Navigation: Main Menu > Campus Community > Communications > Set Up Communications > Communication Data Source
- Register the Data Source in order to generate the XSD schema for the communication.
- Create a New Report Definition if one does not exist.
(Navigation: Main Menu > Reporting Tools > BI Publisher > Report Definition)
- Select Data Source Type (XMLDoc Object).
- Select the Data Source ID created in step 1.
- Enter the Report Description.
- Select the Report Category ID to provide access to this report definition.
- Select Template Type RTF
- Click Data Schema to download the XML Schema (XSD) that will be used to create the RTF template for the communication.
- Click on the Template tab.
- Enter the Template ID, Description and Channel.
At this point move on to create the RTF template that will be uploaded to the Template File. One may choose to not leave the page and use the downloaded XSD to create the RTF template and then return to this page to complete the remaining steps.
Creating RTF Template
Download and install the BI Publisher Plug-in for Microsoft Word from Oracle website or use the following navigation in the PeopleSoft instance: Main Menu > Reporting Tools > BI Publisher > Setup > Designer Helper
Once installed correctly the BI Publisher tab appears on the ribbon for Microsoft Word.
- Open a new Word document and save as .rtf.
- On the BI Publisher tab of the Microsoft Word access ribbon, click on XML Schema.
- Select the XSD definition saved from Creating Report Definition.
- "Data Loaded Successfully" message appears.
- Click on Field button on the BI Publisher ribbon to select the Data tag that you would like to include in the RTF Template. (These data tags resolve to the actual data from the Database at run time).
The data tags have tree like structure and are the combination of the Generic process data and the Custom PS Query fields from the Communication Data Source.
- Save the RTF template.
One can download the template and make changes by repeating Step 3 to Step 5 to include any additional data tags or delete any data tags.
- Upload the RTF Template file.
- Change the status of the Template file to Active.
- Change the Report Status on the Definition tab to Active.