Sending 1098-T Transmittal File to IRS
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to send 1098-T transmittal files to the IRS.
Audience: Student Financials Staff
Navigation: Main Menu > Student Financials > Taxes > Tax Reports > 1098-T Form Print
- Find an Existing Value or Add a New Value by entering the appropriate information into the Run Control ID field, then click the Search or Add button.
- Enter appropriate information into the Transmitter's TIN field.
- Enter the appropriate date into the Calendar Year field.
- Choose the appropriate option from the Media dropdown menu.
- Choose the appropriate option from the Filing Status dropdown menu.
- Choose the appropriate option from the Primary Sort dropdown menu.
- Optional: Select the Test File checkbox to ensure a test file will be sent to the IRS.
- Choose the appropriate option from the Secondary Sort dropdown menu.
- Enter the appropriate information into the *TIN field or use the LookUp icon.
- Enter the appropriate date into the *Calendar Year field or use the LookUp icon.
- When corrections are necessary, the Student Override check box may be selected.
- Click the Run button.
- Select the Print 1098-T Forms checkbox under the Process List.
- Click the OK button.
- Once process has run to "Success" and posted, click the Process Monitor link.
- Click the Details link for the appropriate Run Instance.
- Click the View Log/Trace link on the Process Detail page.
- The transmittal file will be at the top of the File List titled IRSTAX.001.
- Right click on the IRSTAX.001 file, choose Save Link As or Save Target As and save to your desktop or other file location, Rename file.
Ensure renamed file is kept as a text document (TXT.file). File may need to be opened in notepad to view text.
- Log in to the IRS FIRE system below and proceed with specificied directions to upload the file.