Communications - Running the Communication Generation Process 11f
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for using the communication generation process in ctcLink.
Audience: College Staff responsible for creating student communication.
For Communication Generation the following steps are required:
- Identify the data source from which to extract data
- Associate it with the XML report definition
- Associate the report with the standard letter code
Note: Prior to running the Communication Generation process, the communications set up process must be completed. Please contact a ctcLink system administrator for assistance with that process.
Navigation: Main Menu → Campus Community → Communications → Communication Generation
- If a run control is already created for this process, search for it under Find an Existing Value.
- If a run control has not been created
- Click the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter a Run Control name.
- Click the Add button.
- Select the General Parameters tab.
- In ID Selection, select the appropriate communication recipients.
- All IDs: all person and organization IDs system wide. (Rarely used)
- One Person ID: opens a box to input a single Person ID. (Common)
- All Person IDs: all person and organization IDs system wide. (Common)
- One Org ID: opens a box to input a single Organization ID. (Rarely used)
- All Org IDs: This will select all organization IDs system wide. (Rarely used)
Population Selection Options:
- Equations are set up at the system level, contact a ctcLink system administrator for assistance.
- The look up menu for the Equation Name displays available equation engine names.
- Select PS Query from the Selection Tool dropdown.
- Select the appropriate query (only queries valid for the specific process are available).
- Create a .CSV file using Excel:
- Open an Excel Spreadsheet.
- Enter ctcLink student ID’s with one ID per cell in a single column.
- Save the Excel file as a .CSV.
- Select External File from the Selection Tool dropdown.
- Click Upload File and browse for the file created in the previous steps.
- Click the Create File Mapping link to map the uploaded file.
- Enter the name of the mapping criteria in the File Mapping field.
- If the file has no Header Row, leave the checkbox and Header Row Number field blank.
- Enter the field number of the column containing the student IDs to allow the process to read the data only from that column.
- Click the OK button.
Letter Code Selection
- Only letter codes set up for the Communication Generation process and that are currently assigned to the specified IDs are available in the Letter Code field. Letter Codes are set up at the system level, contact a ctcLink system administrator for assistance.
- Enter the Letter code and tab out of the field to pull in the set-ups attached to the letter code, including enclosures.
- Enter the selected language selected in the Communication Language Usage field.
- Enter the appropriate selection in No Matching Template Found. If there is no template in the selected language, the selection made in this field determines how the system will handle this communication generation. For example, if the language selected is German, and there is no template written in German, the system will either no produce the communication (it will show as an error) or it will use the default template which is likely in English dependent upon the selection made.
- Select the appropriate Communication Method Usage.
- Specified: Allows selection of method type (provided the template exists).
- Preferred: ctcLink evaluates the preferred method for each student ID.
- Click the Process Parameters tab to access the Usage Tables.
- Select the Address, Address Name, and Salutation for the communication being sent.
- Enter the appropriate dates from which to extract data in the Communication Date Range Selection.
- Select the appropriate choices in the following fields:
- Update Communication Generation Date With
Update Communication Completed Date With
- Communication Date: Selects the date the communication was assigned in the system.
- System Date: The current date.
- User Supplied Date: Opens a box to enter a custom date.
- Specify how to sort the communication in the Output Settings.
- Specify processing options:
- Online Preview: view the output in Report Manager. (If the communication method is Email an Email address box will appear to enter a test address to preview the email.)
- Send to File: saves the generated letter communications as a single file. When selected, the File Path field appears. Specify the location to send the file.
- Send to Printer: sends letter communications directly to the printer. When selected, the Destination Printer field appears. Enter the appropriate printer.
- Create Envelopes/Labels: prints envelopes or labels for the communication.
- When selected, the Report Name link appears. You must select the report definition for the Communication Generation process to use.
Note: If Preview Online or Send to Printer is not selected, the communication is generated as soon as the process runs. If the communication is an email, the process sends the email to the specified IDs.
- Select the Missing Critical Data check box for the process to produce and/or complete the communication even if critical data is missing, for example, the recipient’s name or address.
- In the Email Parameters tab enter the following information for email generation:
- From: Enter the email address of the person or entity that is sending the email. (e.g. email@example.com).
- Subject: Email topic.
- Reply to: If the student clicks Reply, this is the email address that will receive the response email.
- Sender: Name of the person or department sending the email.
- Bounce to: If the email is undeliverable, this is the email address that will receive the email
- In the Importance and Sensitivity group boxes, select the appropriate options.
- In the Checklist Parameters tab, specify any checklist items to extract and use in a letter or an email. Various options will open based on selections.
- Administrative Function: select one or more checklist types by clicking the (+).
- Checklist Type: enter the types of checklists from which the process should extract data for this letter or email.
- Tracking Group: enter the tracking group codes with checklist item data that should be extracted for this letter or email.
- Checklist Code: enter the specific checklist codes with checklist item data that should be extracted for this letter or email.
- Checklist Item Status: select an appropriate value (e.g. Active). Multiple statuses can be selected by clicking the (+).
- Click the Run button.
- Select the appropriate process and click OK.
- Click Process Monitor, the process may take time to run based on quantity of records processed.
- Click Refresh to check the status. Success indicates the process has completed.