Creating and Posting a Manual Journal Entry
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for creating and posting manual General Ledger journal entries in ctcLink.
Audience: Financial Staff
Navigation: Main Menu > General Ledger > Journals > Journal Entry > Create/Update Journal Entries
Creating a Manual Journal Entry
- Enter existing search criteria or click the Add a New Value tab on the Create/Update Journal Entries page to add a new value.
- If it did not automatically populate, enter or select the business unit in the Business Unit field.
- Click the Add button.
- The Header page displays journal header information that uniquely identifies a journal, such as business unit, journal ID, and journal date. This page also contains options for setting, adjusting and reversing entries.
- Enter an appropriate description in the Long Description field, i.e. “Advertising Accrual.”
- Enter or select 'ACTUALS' in the Ledger Group field.
- Enter ‘ONL’ in the Source field. This is the code used for manual journal entries.
- Select the Save Journal Incomplete Status checkbox option.
- If the journal entry is an accrual, then click the Reversal: Do Not Generate Reversal link to navigate to the Journal Entry Reversal page.
- Use the Journal Entry Reversal page to select the date that the journal entry will be reversed. Reversals are marked valid and ready to post when you create them; they don’t need to be edited.
- Select the End of Next Period radio button.
- Click the OK button.
Note: After selecting a reversal option, it is reflected in the Reversal link on the Header page.
- If supporting documentation is required for the journal entry, then click the Attachments link to navigate to the Journal Entry Attachments page where you can attach a file with supporting documentation. For example, you might want to attach a spreadsheet with the details on how the accrual entry was derived. The number in the parenthesis denotes how many documents you have attached.
- When the Header page is complete, click the Lines tab.
Entering Line Items
- Use the Lines page to record the transaction lines that comprise the journal.
Use the Lines page to record the transaction lines that comprise the journal.
Note: SBCTC requires the presence of a Business Unit (*Unit), Account, Fund, Dept, Class, and State Purpose for every transaction, including journal entry. Additionally, grant and project related journal entries require a Project Bus Unit, Project Number, Activity, and Analysis Type. During processing of the journal entry, the system will use this information to check for valid Chartfield combinations and sufficient budget.
- Enter or select the appropriate account in the Account field.
- Enter or select the appropriate operating unit in the Oper Unit field.
- Enter or select the appropriate fund in the Fund field.
- Enter or select the appropriate department in the Dept field.
- Enter or select the appropriate class in the Class field.
- Enter the journal entry amount in the Amount field.
- Enter or select the correct state purpose in the State Purpose field.
- Click the Insert Lines button to add the off-setting item using the Copy Down ID functionality.
Note: All values just entered will be copied to the new line, with the exception of the Account and Amount. The Amount will be the amount needed to auto-balance the journal. As you change the Amount and add more lines, the Amount will automatically adjust to the amount necessary to balance the journal. You will need to provide an Account for each new line.
- Enter or select the appropriate account for the second line item in the Account field.
Note: The journal entry is balanced when the value in the Total Debits column is equal to the value in the Total Credits column. When you have a balanced journal, you may begin processing the journal directly from this page.
- Click the Save button.
- Click the OK button to acknowledge the message that the journal is saved with ‘T’ (incomplete) status. “This journal cannot be edited or posted until you change its status to complete.”
The "T" (incomplete) status flag only prevents the journal from being processed by batch processing. The journal can still be edited, budget checked, and submitted for approval using the online options from the *Process list.
Processing the Journal Entry Online
- Use the Lines page to process the journal. Begin by verifying that the *Process box reads "Edit Journal" and clicking the Process button.
Note: The Journal Status and Budget Status change to ‘V’ (Valid) after the journal is edited. You can only submit a journal for approval that is valid for both statuses.
Note: When you run the Edit Journal process, either on manual or system generated GL journal, the budget check is automatically run to validate the journal against a budget based on the type of account.
Note: Journal entries which require approval cannot be posted until approved through the ctcLink workflow approval process. Approval requirements vary by college district.
- Use the *Process drop-down list button to make a new selection.
- Click the Submit Journal list item.
- Click the Process button.
Note: The Journal Status is now awaiting approval and posting.