Understanding Repeat Rule Configuration 21t
Navigation: Main Menu > Records and Enrollment > Term Processing > End of Term Processing > Repeat Rules
Repeat Rules set-up is based on the state policy.
Repeat Rule tab
Repeat Rules are set by the career with an effective term, changes should be done by inserting a new effective term.
The following is a list of Repeat Codes and how they are used:
|Repeat Code Title
||Repeat Code Usage
|REXP: Special Exception
|RPIN: Repeat - Included
|RPEX: Repeat - Excluded
|RLMT: Repeat Limit
Repeat Rule 2 tab
The current set-up is to allow students 3 attempts to repeat a course. The process will exclude any classes which have the REXP code, which was set on converted classes. Colleges that wish to have pre-conversion courses considered for this process will need to manually adjust the repeat coding on the Enrollment page.
Repeat Rule 3 tab
This tab selects the processing order of repeats. However, when the process is run, users can select to not include transfer credit if desired.
Repeat Rule Detail 1 tab
This page allows colleges to further define the repeat rule being used. For example, a student can repeat courses with F or D grades (grade points between 0.00 and 1.999) only twice.
Repeat Rule Detail 2 tab
This page allows colleges to define what the repeat checking rule should do, based on the value of a preexisting repeat code on the current course attempt.
Repeat Rule Detail 3 tab
Designate the codes that the Repeat Checking process should assign to the enrollment records of both the current and previous course attempts.
Other Set-Up for Repeat
Grade Scheme Table
Individual grades can be excluded from repeat checking on the grading scheme table.
Select an option to indicate whether a class with this grade should be counted as a repeat candidate and whether the class should be processed by the Repeat Checking process. Values are:
- Count = Y Process = Y: If you select this option, any class with this grade is counted in the pool of repeat attempts and is selected and processed when the Repeat Checking process is run.
- Count = Y Process = N: If you select this option, any class with this grade is counted in the pool of repeat attempts, but is not selected and processed when the Repeat Checking process is run.
- Count = N Process = Y: If you select this option, any class with this grade is not counted in the pool of repeat attempts, but is selected and processed when the Repeat Checking process is run.
- Count = N Process = N: If you select this option, any class with this grade is not counted in the pool of repeat attempts, nor is it selected and processed when the Repeat Checking process is run.
Academic Program Table
Repeat rules can be set differently by program, identify the rule being used by program.
Process on Enrollment: The choices are Yes and No.
Use this field to activate the Repeat Checking process at enrollment time for this academic program.
Select Yes if you want the Repeat Checking process to run during enrollment for this academic program. This is a front-end process that checks repeats, based on repeat rules that you set up in the Repeat Rule component. The process is front-end because it checks for repeats at enrollment time, rather than when you post grades. You can run the Repeat Checking process for the entire academic institution, for students in particular academic careers within the academic institution, and for students in primary academic programs within academic careers. This field is unavailable if No is selected at the academic career or academic institution levels.
Select No if you do not want the Repeat Checking process to run during enrollment processing for students in this academic program. This field is unavailable when you select No at the academic career or academic institution level.
Repeat Grade Check
Use this field to activate or deactivate the Repeat Checking process upon grade submission on the Enrollment Request page or the Quick Enrollment page for this academic program.
Course Catalog Repeat Message
Select one of the following message types that the system displays during enrollment when the Allowable Repeats process detects that the student has previously taken the course.
- Error: Issues an error and prevents the student from enrolling in the repeated class.
- Warning: Issues a warning that the repeatable limit as established on the course catalog has been exceeded. The student is still able to enroll in the class.
- None: Issues no warning or error, and the student is still able to enroll in the class.
Selections are made on each course in the course catalog.
Repeat for Credit check box:
Select this check box to indicate that the class can be repeated for additional credit, as opposed to repeating for grade improvement only. If you do not select the check box, the class is subject to the repeat rules set up in the Repeat Rule Table component.
Allow Multiple Enrollments in Term
Select this check box to permit a student to enroll in this course multiple times within the same term. An example would be an independent study course.