Viewing/Updating Charge Priorities 27d
Purpose: Setting up and/or reviewing a Charge Priority.
Audience: Student Financials
Navigation: Set up SACR > Product Related > Student Financials > Charges and Payments > Charge Priority List
Charge priority rules are the first step in determining how the system applies a payment. You define exactly what charges are eligible for payment and if payments can be applied to charges from various time periods. You can also establish a priority order for allowable charges.
Charge priority lists are dependent on item type trees to identify which charge items are qualified for the particular type of payment. Because charge priority list details are defined at the tree node level, you can make payment restrictions as broad or narrow as you would like.
- Click on Add a New Value tab.
- Enter the correct SetID.
- Enter the Charge Priority List. (8-character code that will represent the Charge Priority).
- Click on Add.
- Enter the EffectiveDate (Effective Date should be set to the first day of the academic year in which the new code will be used).
- Enter Description. (Up to 30 characters).
- Enter Short Description. (Up to 10 characters).
- Enter Long Description. (Up to 254 characters).
- Enter the Tree Name - typically this should be set to ITEM_SECURITY_WAxxx (xxx=business unit/set ID)
- Click on the Details tab.
- Specify the Permission Form that would be used to grant access to payments. (OPTIONAL)
- In the Allowable Charges field, select a Node from the tree listed on the previous page that will contain the charges that credits associated with this Charge Priority can pay. Charge Priorities are assigned to credit item types e.g. payments, financial aid, waivers, etc.
- In the Priority field, assign a level for each tree node used to define allowable charges.
- Specify the Term restrictions for charges within this node. Select a value to control if payments may be applied to charges in the Current term, Prior Term, Prior Year and Future Term fields.
Allowable Values for Term restrictions:
YES: Select this value if you want the system to apply payments with no restrictions to charges in this time period.
NO: Select this value if you do not want the system to apply payments to any cgharges in this time period.
Neg. Perm. (Negative Permission): Select this value if you want the system to apply payments as necessary to charges in this time period, unless the student expressly prevents it. Permission forms can be used in conjunction with negative permission.
Permission Needed: Select this value if you want the system to require specific permission before applying payments to charges in this time period. Permission forms can be used in conjuction with permission needed.
- Enter the maximum amount of the credit that can be applied to the corresponding term restriction period. Amount is per transaction. If there is no ceiling for this payment, you can leave this field blank. This is the typical setup.
The system uses this priority value ONLY when you select Charge Tree Node as one of the Sort Payment Field values in your Payment Overall Priority setup. A priority 1 is higher than a priority 2.
See Payment Overall Priority Set Up to determine how your charge sort is set. (See navigation below)
Navigation: Main Menu > Set Up SACR > Product Related > Student Financials > Charges and Payments > Payment Overall Priority
- Click Save.