Budget Transfers for Commitment Control - 12
Purpose: Commitment Control enables you to control expenditures against predefined budgets. These are the instructions on how to enter the budget transfer information into Commitment Control in ctcLink.
TIP: The user must have the security role of Budget Manager or Budget Administrator. These are the only roles authorized to enter or transfer budgets in Commitment Control.
Entering a Budget
Navigation: Main Menu > Commitment Control > Budget Journal > Enter Budget Transfers
Select the Add a New Value tab on the Enter Budget Transfers page.
- If ID did not automatically populate, enter or select the business unit in the Business Unit field.
Use the Budget Header page to specify budget header information.
NOTE: You can also attach supporting documents there.
- Enter or select CC_ORG from drop-down list in the Ledger Group field. (This is the non-project ledger where budgets are posted). Enter Project budgets through the Grants/Contract/Project module.
- Use the Budget Entry Type drop-down list to select the budget entry type, Transfer Original for base budget amounts and Transfer Adjustment for additional budget amounts.
- Check the Generate Parent Budget box, (unless the box is already "grayed out"). The grayed out box indicates that your user preference was modified to check this box for you. The Parent Budget Entry Type should be the same as Budget Entry Type.
- Cur Efftd is the effective date of the budget.
- Enter a detailed description of the budget in the Long Description field.
- Enter either PERMANENT, TEMPORARY or EARMARK in the Alternate Description field.
Permanent - The budget for that year.
Temporary - Adjustments that are not intended to be carried over to the next year. It does not matter if it is a + or -.
Earmark - Special budget for a specific directive/spending. This is a variety of things, such as disability services or apprenticeship services.
This will allow the budget entries to be reported in query format using QFS_KK_BUDGET_EXPENSE_BALANCE. Budget Journals should be entered separately by the type of budget described in the Alternate Description.
Select the Budget Lines tab.
- Use the Budget Lines page to specify the monetary (Base Amount) and ChartField values for each transaction.
- Enter or select the Budget Period (it must include the Cur Effdt located on the Budget Header).
- Enter or select the Account Field (Budgeting at the Roll-up or Account level is dependent on each Business Unit's budgeting procedure).
- Enter or select the Department field.
- Enter or select the Operating Unit field.
- Enter or select the Fund field.
- Enter or select the Class field.
- Enter or select the Base Amount field.
Note: Budget Transfers do not directly update the ledger balances table. Instead, the posting process updates the ledger table, LEDGER_KK, and retains the journal enter as an audit item. In this way, you generate an audit trail to record the original budget (Base) and subsequent changes (Additions).
Select the Process button.
Understanding Budget Processing Errors
If a posting error occurs, the notification will appear both in the Budget Header Status field on the Budget Lines tab and on the Budget Errors tab. Selecting on the Budget Header Status field Error will take you to the error report. This report will give the detailed reason for the error.