FWL Calculation Processing (Batch)
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to use or add a Run Control to schedule the Faculty Workload Calculation Process. Executing the FWL Calculation Process via the Process Scheduler (batch) loads the FWL Grid to the Maintain Faculty Workload page in ctcLink. The FWL Calculation Process allows for Initial Calculation, Recalculation of All Contracts with Changes or Recalculation of an Individual Contract. This document also covers Understanding Process Log Files.
Audience: Class Scheduling Staff, HR\Payroll Staff
Navigation: Main Menu → Curriculum Management → CTC Custom → Faculty Workload → Faculty Workload Processing → FWL Calculation Process
Alert: Scheduling the FWL Calculation Process requires the Empl ID of the Instructor. The Empl ID Look Up does not provide a name search feature. You MUST know the Empl ID of the instructor BEFORE attempting to enter this in the scheduling parameters!
When a new instructor has been assigned to all the intended classes for a term, the next step is to load the instructor and all relevant class information to the Maintain Faculty Workload page using the FWL Calculation Process. Doing so; will populate the Maintain Faculty Workload page, which consists of the FWL Grid, Calculation Result, and a draft Pay Line.
Tip: Executing the FWL Calculation Process via the Process Scheduler (batch) is only required the first time the FWL Grid is loaded to the Maintain Faculty Workload page for an instructor. After the instructor has been processed and exists in FWL, all subsequent calculations can be done within the Maintain Faculty Workload page, using the 'Recalc All' for all new and existing contracts (if changed) or using the individual 'Recal' buttons for a specific existing contract (if changed).
Note: The FWL Calculation Process is run only after the instructor has been added to the Instructor/Adviser Table and the instructor has been assigned to a class or had a non-instructional assignment added. The following Quick Reference Guides are designed to assist with those processes:
- Navigate to the FWL Calculation Process to search for and use or add a new Run Control ID.
Tip: A Run Control ID is used to allow saving of scheduling parameters for a specific process for later re-use. An ID can be used again with the same parameters or edited to change parameters. It is saved automatically when the Run button is clicked. Run Control IDs are user specific, which means:
- It is named by the user.
- Can only be seen by that user.
- Follows the user wherever they login from, regardless of browser or computer.
- At the FWL Calculation Process search page, search for an existing run control by:
- Leaving the Run Control ID: blank and clicking the Search button.
- Using Basic Search: Entering the first few letters of an existing ID and clicking the Search button searching for any Run Control ID that 'begins with' those letters.
- Using Advanced Search: Click the Advanced Search link and select the desired search operator (e.g. contains) from the drop down menu and enter a value as search criteria (e.g. WA).
- If no Run Control ID exists, of a new one is desired, click the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter the Run Control ID in the open text box (e.g. FWL_CALC) and click Add.
- On the FWL Calculation Process parameters page enter the following:
- Academic Institution: Enter or use the lookup.
- Term: Enter or use the lookup.
Warning: Instructors missing their Instructor/Advisor Table will error when entering their Empl ID. Refer to the Quick Reference Guide on Adding an Instructor to the Instructor/Advisor Table.
- Empl ID: Enter the Empl ID for the instructor(s) to be initialized. If your college requires each division to manage their own instructor calculations, DO NOT leave this field blank. Leaving the field blank will calculate ALL instructors assigned to classes at the institution. Use the plus (+) symbol to add a new row for each additional Empl ID.
- Recalc for Changes: Leave unchecked if executing this process for the first time this term for the instructor. If there are changes to class information or new, additional assignments check the box to recalculated.
- Click the Run button to open the Process Scheduler Request pop-up window.
- At the Process Scheduler Request page click OK to launch the process and return to the scheduling parameters page.
- At the FWL Calculation Process parameters page, click the Process Monitor link to monitor the process and access the log file.
- In the Process Monitor, the Run Status will progress from Queued -Initialized -Processing to either Success or No Success. With a Run Status of Success or No Success the Details link will provide access to batch process log files when the Distribution Status changes to Posted. Click the Details link to view the log files.
- In the Process Details page click the View Log/Trace link in the Actions section at the bottom of the page.
- In the View Log/Trace page, click the FWL_Initial_Calculation_Process_nnnnnn.log link.
- The Empl IDs entered in the scheduling parameters will be displayed in the Process/Interface Log. If there were errors in attempting to calculate, the Empl ID will appear in the Calculation Error Log below the scheduling parameters. If the initialization was successful the Empl ID, Assignment Type and Contract Type will appear for each successfully initialized FWL Grid record. If the process ran to No Success, skip to step 13.
- When finished reviewing the log file simply close the tab or window in your browser that contains the log file display to return to the View Log/Trace page, then click the Return button at the bottom of the page to return to the Process Detail page.
- At the Process Detail page click the OK button to return to the Process Monitor page, or simply navigate to the Maintain Faculty Workload page, the next step in the process. To view the initialized records follow the Quick Reference Guide on using the Maintain Faculty Workload page.
Tip: Once the FWL Grid has been loaded, some additional maintenance of specific fields may be required (depending on the formulas configured) to add additional information. If so, a second recalculation would be performed to finalize the contract data and ensure the Pay Line (payroll payments) Non-instructional, some Continuing Education and any prorated contracts will require additional edits within the FWL Grid before an online contract page can be generated. Generation of the online contract page is a separate batch process.
If an instructor has already had their initial calculation performed for that Term, the process will run to success, but the Calculation Error Log section of the log file will display the message "Please run the recalculation process for below employee(s)." You will need to re-run the process with the Recalc for Changes check box checked.
Recalculation of All Contracts with Changes
A instructor can be recalculated, either online (on the Maintain Faculty Workload page) on in batch, using the FWL Calculation Process. When recalculated in batch, the Recalc for Changes check box is checked. Checking this box displays the Contract Type section. If the Contract Type parameter is left blank, ALL Contract Types for any instructor listed will be picked up for recalculation, and any new, changed or deleted instructor assignments, either from Schedule of Class or non-instructional assignment in the Instructor Term Workload page will be processed.
Recalculation of an Individual Contract Type
A instructor can be recalculated, either online (on the Maintain Faculty Workload page) or in batch, using the FWL Calculation Process. When recalculated in batch, the Recalc for Changes check box is checked.
Checking this box displays the Contract Type section. When the Contract Type parameter is left blank ALL contracts for the listed instructors are recalculated. When the Contract Type parameter is populated, the specified Contract Types for any instructor listed will be picked up for recalculation, and any new, changed or deleted instructor assignments, either from Schedule of Class or non-instructional assignment in the Instructor Term Workload page will be processed.
The recalculation process can be executed for a single instructor or many instructors, by clicking the Plus (+) symbol on the Empl ID row and adding more instructor IDs. The recalculation options selected will apply to all instructors entered in the parameters.
Understanding Process Log Files - Status = Success
The FWL Calculation Process generates 3 forms of log files at completion. If the process executes to Success, the user only need review the FWL Initial Calculation Process log file to view the information on processed records.
The FWL Initial Calculation Process log file has 3 sections:
- Calculation Error Log - (If program has faced any error during calculation)
If you received a message in this section, it is likely due to attempting to process a calculation as an 'initial' calculation, when the initial calculation has already been done. The message will direct you to execute the process again, but as a recalculation.
- Initial Calculation Process is completed for below employee(s):
This is the desired outcome. Instructors whose calculation were successful are displayed with the Assignment Type and Contract Type code. If an instructor has multiple classes, each with a unique Assignment Type it is possible for that instructor to appear on multiple rows, one for each successfully calculated Contract Type.
- Calculation/Formula Configuration is not defined for below combinations:
If an instructor appears in this section it means a few possible things,
- The Assignment Type chosen is not applicable for the Empl Class of the selected Empl Rcd Nbr. (Translation: You picked a Part Time Assign Type, but the job record is Full Time, or vice-versa).
- The Assignment Type attached to the instructor's class does not have that Subject configured.
- The Assignment Type attached to the instructor's class does not have that Component configured for that Subject.
Understanding Process Log Files - Status = No Success
- If the process executes to a Run Status of No Success the FWL Calculation Processing log file will appear without the Calculation Error Log and Initial Calculation Process sections. This log file will not provide the information necessary when a process runs to No Success because essentially the process has aborted before the log file write is complete.
- When a process runs to No Success, an ERP Support Ticket will need to be filed. To better provide information in filing your ticket you can access the technical log files from the View Log/Trace page, by selecting the AE_CTC_FWL_CALC log file link.
- In the AE_CTC_FWL_CALC file ending with 'AET' (application engine trace) the SQL Error message will appear after the row containing the word "ABENDED."
- In the AE_CTC_FWL_CALC file ending with 'log' the SQL Error message will appear on the line starting with "File:" just above the 'Failed SQL stmt:' row. Both the 'AET' and 'log' files will contain the same error.
- In the AE_CTC_FWL_CALC file ending with 'trc' no error logging will be evident unless a technician turns on trace logging. This file can be ignored as it only aids the technician during triage.
Tip: When a process runs to No Success an ERP Support Ticket is in order. When filing the ticket, make sure to provide the process Name: CTC_FWL_CALC and the Process Instance: (e.g. 99533). This way the support technician can access the log files produced by the process.
- If the error seen in the AE_CTC_FWL_CALC log file states that there is a ‘single-row subquery returns more than one row’ error, then the contract configuration unintentionally has a duplicate assignment type from another contract. the ERP support technical, (or the HR staff person maintaining contract configuration) will need to identify the duplicate record and correct the configuration before you can re-attempt initialization.