Processing Release Time Contracts - SPOKANE ONLY
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for Release Time Assignment Types to an Instructors Term Workload page. Release Time applies to Full Time Faculty only. These instructions assume that the instructor already has regular class load that has been calculated in FWL and that the instructor already has an established, active job and exists in the Instructor/Advisor Table.
Audience: Class Scheduling or HR Staff
Navigation: Main Menu > Curriculum Management > Instructor/Advisor Information > Instructor Term Workload
Release Time can be entered for an instructor to receive Moonlight pay, or be added to track which portion of their Full Time load is attributable to Release Time. Since assignment of Release Time is done for a brief period before and after the start of each term, the Assignment Types have been reconfigured with two distinct short descriptions designed to make it easier to remember which Assignment Type is ‘payable’ and which is ‘FTE Only.’
Note: For Spokane the Assignment Type naming convention begins with 2 to 4 characters code that specify the division issuing the contract (noted by ‘DDDD’ in the example below)followed by the purpose of the Assignment Type noted in the brackets. The [RF] will have an Assignment Type configuration of $0 in the Term Max Load Rate value, thus generating no pay, but only FTE %. The [RM] will have an Assignment Type configuration of $10187 in the Term Max Load Rate value, thus generating pay.
‘DDDD’ [RF] - Release Time Full Time Load
‘DDDD’ [RM] - Release Time Moonlight
Checklist Steps (Spokane)
- Add Release Time Assignment Type to Instructor Term Workload
- Run FWL Calculation Process to Load the FWL Grid with Release Time row(s)
- Update FWL Grid-Tab 3 for Start/End Date of Release Time
- Update FWL Grid- Tab 4 with number of Contracted Hours to generate the correct FTE % (see table)
- Process a FWL Recalculation
- Review and confirm Calculation Results tab
- If payable Release Time: Update Earn Code and Combo Code on Pay Line
- If payable Release Time: Run FWL Contract Generation
- If payable Release Time: Update Notes/Comments tab with HCM for HR review
- If payable Release Time: Ensure Dean/Administrator approves the contract
- If payable Release Time: Ensure instructor has gone into Faculty Center and signed the contract
Example Instructor Scenario
For this QRG we will use a sample instructor who already has part of a regular Full Time load (77.222%) established in FWL.
- Search for the instructor in the Instructor Term Workload page and enter the following:
- ID: Empl ID of the instructor.
- Academic Institution: Enter value or use lookup.
- Name: If EmplID unknown, enter at least the first character of the Last Name.
- The page appears with the latest active Term displayed. If this is not the Term needed, search for the correct Term page by clicking the Find link and in the pop-up window enter the Term value, (e.g. 2163)
- Click OK.
- Once in the correct Term, click the Add a Row (+) button to add an additional Workload Assignment. If adding only one Release Time, then only 1 row is needed. If adding multiple rows of Release Time (payable and FTE only), then click the Add a Row (+) button to add two additional Workload Assignments.
- Enter the following on the Workload Assignment tab:
- Description: Title of work being performed, for example Release Time FT Load or Release Time Moonlight. This description is for reference only and does not load into the FWL Grid.
- Assignment Type: Click the drop down menu to select a Non-Instructional Assignment Type, for payable Release Time select the division Assignment Type ending in [RM], for full time load Release Time select the division Assignment Type that ends in [RF].
- Work Load: (Optional) Hours of work being performed, does not load into the FWL Grid. (see table for hours)
- Click Save
NOTE: Do not delete rows added to the Instructor Term Workload page once added to the FWL Grid until the code fix for cancelled or deleted class data is released into Production or you could cause problems recalculating non-instructional time
- Navigate to the Maintain Faculty Workload page for that instructor and term to perform a Recalc All or recalculate the record in batch using the FWL Calculation Process and click the Search button, or add a new run control by clicking the Add a New Value tab by entering the Run Control ID in the open text box, for example FWLrecalc
- A run control is used to allow saving scheduling parameters for a specific batch process for later re-use. Run Control IDs are named at the discretion of the user and can be used again either with the same parameters or edited to reflect the currently applicable scheduling parameters. After the Run Control ID is entered click Add.
- On the FWL Calculation Parameters page enter the following:
- Academic Institution: Enter or use the lookup.
- Term: Enter or use the lookup.
- Empl ID: Enter the Empl ID for the instructor(s) to be recalculated. Each division initialized their own instructors, therefore it is NOT recommended to leave this field blank or risk recalculating all instructors assigned to classes at the institution. Use the plus (+) symbol to add a new row for each additional Empl ID.
- Recalc for Changes: Check the box to recalculate if a record already exists in FWL.
- Click the Run button.
Note: Instructors missing their Instructor/Advisor Table will error when entering their Empl ID.
- At the Process Scheduler Request page click OK.
- Clicking OK will launch the batch process and return to the scheduling parameters page.
- Click the Process Monitor link to view the status of the batch process and see the log file generated when the process completes:
- In the Process Monitor, the Run Status will progress from Queued -> Initialized -> Processing to either Success or No Success. With a Run Status of Success or No Success the Details link will provide access to batch process log files when the Distribution Status changes to Posted.
- Click the Details link to view the log files.
- In the Process Details page click the View Log/Trace link in the Actions section at the bottom of the page.
- In the View Log/Trace page, click the FWL_Initial_Calculation_Process link.
- The Empl IDs entered in the scheduling parameters will be displayed in the Process/Interface Log. If there were errors in attempting to calculate, the Empl ID will appear in the Calculation Error Log below the scheduling parameters. If the initialization was successful the Empl ID, Assignment Type and Contract Type will appear for each successfully initialized FWL Grid record.
- When finished reviewing the log file simply close the tab or window in your browser that contains the log file display to return to the View Log/Trace page, then click the Return button at the bottom of the page to return to the Process Detail page.
- At the Process Detail page click the OK button to return to the Process Monitor page.
- Navigate to the Maintain Faculty Workload page to update the FWL Grid page, making sure to check the Correct History box on the Search page.
If 2 rows were added to the Instructor Term Workload page, then 2 new rows will be added to the FWL Grid page. The class numbers are 5 digits starting with 99999 and incrementing down (99998, 99997, etc.).
Nothing will update to the Pay Line until the FWL Grid is updated with contract begin/end and hours. Note which row is associated to which Assignment Type on the Second Tab. Also, the Term Max Load Rate on the Fourth Tab for the Full Time load will be $0.
- On the Third Tab on the FWL Grid page, update the begin and end date by clicking the Start Date and End Date.
- Override checkboxes and entering the appropriate dates, making sure that the Correct History is turned on.
- On the Fourth Tab on the FWL Grid Page, enter the Contract Hours. This is the total number of hours associated to this contract for the term. Use the table at the end of this document to determine the correct number of hours to equate to the desired FTE%.
- After entering data in all necessary fields click Save.
- Click the HCM Data Page tab and click Recalc All button.
- View the FWL Calculation Results tab to view the contract calculation results.
- Review the HCM to CS Pay Line on the HCM Data Page to confirm the accuracy of the draft Pay Line.
- Ensure that the Earn Code and Combo Code on the Second tab reflect the Moonlight (MLC) Assignment Type BEFORE generating the electronic contract for HR and Dean/Administrator approval.
- Once the draft Pay Line is accurate and has the correct Earn Code and Combo Code the electronic contract can be generated.
- Navigate to the FWL Contract Generation process and search for an existing Run Control, or add a new one. If new, enter the following:
- Academic Institution: Enter or use the lookup.
- Term: Enter or use the lookup.
- Empl ID: Enter the Empl ID for the instructor(s) to be recalculated.
- Uncheck the All Contracts check box.
- Contract Type: Enter or use the lookup.
- Click SAVE.
- Click Run.
- At the Process Scheduler Request page, click OK.
- Once launched, the page returns to the Run Control. Click the Process Monitor link to monitor process run status and when complete, view details. Once process shows Success, use the link ‘Go Back to FWL Contract Generation’ to return to the Run Control page, or simply navigate back to the Maintain Faculty Workload page.
- When the process completes, navigate back to the Maintain Faculty Workload page and view the electronic Contract.
- To review the electronic Contract in the Maintain Faculty Workload page, in the Contract Data Info section, click the View Contract link.
- Once in the contract, you may decide to add commentary to the contract highlighting which portion of the contract is payable and which portion is part of their regular load.
- Click the View Contract link, enter the desired commentary I the Comment box.
Note: If commentary language is added, click the SAVE button at the bottom of the page, if not, simply click the RETURN button to return to the Maintain Faculty Workload page.
- Notify HR that the employee is ready to have their online contract reviewed for their approval by entering HCM in the Notes/Comments tab and clicking the SAVE button.
- After HR reviews and approves the electronic Contract, notify the Dean/Administrator that they need to Approve the contract by navigating to the Maintain Faculty Workload page, following the View Contract link and clicking the APPROVE button.
- After the Dean/Administrator approves, the instructor must sign the electronic Contract by entering their initials.
FTE% to Hours Table
Note: If you don’t see your desired FTE% above, simply multiply 165 by the desired FTE% to get the necessary hours. For example 165 x .05 (5%) = 8.25 hours.
In order to understand the formula behind the Release Time contracts the screen shot below details the calculation that occurs. The college enters the Contracted Hours in the FWL Grid, which is divided by the FT Base (165) to generate the FTE % that displays on the contract, Pay Line and is pushed to HCM. The display FTE% has 3 decimal places. For the calculation of pay a second, 6 decimal percentage value is also generated. This ensures that when multiplying the FTE% against the Term Max Load Rate that no pennies are lost due to rounding, resulting in a more accurate Total Pay for Term. This Total Pay for Term is then divided by the number of payments to generate the amount to be paid per pay date on the Pay Line. The number of payments are determined by the begin and end date entered on the FWL Grid.
Main Menu → Curriculum Management → Instructor/Advisor Information → Instructor Term Workload
Main Menu → Curriculum Management → CTC Custom → Faculty Workload → Faculty Workload Processing → FWL Calculation Process
Main Menu → Curriculum Management → CTC Custom → Faculty Workload → Faculty Workload Transaction → Maintain Faculty Workload
Main Menu → Curriculum Management → CTC Custom → Faculty Workload → Faculty Workload Processing → FWL Contract Generation