Adjusting Course Catalog Components for FWL
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to make corrections or adjustments to the Course Catalog - Components tab in order to resolve issues with calculating Facutly Workload.
Audience: Class Scheduling Staff, Curriculum Managers
Navigation: Main Menu > Curriculum Management > Course Catalog
The Faculty Workload Calculation process will read the Instructor Contact Hours and Units from the Schedule of Class if that class was created in PeopleSoft from the Course Catalog. If a class was converted from the legacy system the class will not have the component hours stored in the system, therefore the FWL Calculation Process will use the Contact Hours and Units from the Course Catalog. Before making changes to the Course Catalog, it is important to understand the differences between the Catalog Data and Course Component tabs, one impacts class, while the other is related to Faculty Workload. There are 3 common reasons why the Course Catalog data may need to be adjusted for Faculty workload:
- Add a Missing Component
- Correct the Units (credits) for a Component
- Adjust the Instructor Contact Hours for a Component
Tip: Don't know what is meant by a component? While in PeopleSoft the word 'component' can mean a page or group of pages, in this instance a component is like the method of instruction. Common methods of instruction are Lecture, Lab, Clinical and Independent Study. PeopleSoft also supports a multitude of other components, though not all are currently explicitly defined under State Board Policy. Pictured below is the list of available components within the Course Catalog and highlighted are those in current practice, though only those mentioned above are part of the conversion process as the legacy system does not contain fields that track instructor contact hours for Practicum and Seminars separately, though they are defined in the collective bargaining agreements at a number of colleges.
Understanding the Difference Between the Catalog Data and Component Tabs
The Catalog Data tab, in the Course Units/Hours/Count section, contains the sum of all component Units and Instructor Contact Hours. The Minimum and Maximum Units at the total number of units (credits) associated with the full course. If a class is made up of only one component, such as Lecture, then the Units and Course Contact Hours will be the same total Units and Instructor Contact Hours on the Components tab.
In PeopleSoft however; a course can be made up of multiple components, such as Lecture/Lab, Lecutre/Lab/Clinical, or Lecture/Practicum. These are referred to as 'Multi-Component Courses.' In those courses, each component on the Component tab will reflect a portion of the Units and Instructor Contact Hours that together equal the full value of the course.
Using Search to View a Course in the Course Catalog
- Navigate to the Course Catalog page.
- At the Search Criteria enter the following:
- Academic Institution: Enter the institution (e.g. WA171) or use the Look Up.
- Subject Area: Enter the subject (e.g. BIOL), or use the Look Up.
- Catalog Nbr: Enter the catalog number (e.g. 101). Reminder: In PeopleSoft catalog numbers cannot start with a zero.
- Course ID: (optional) If the Course ID is entered, the subject and catalog number can be left blank.
- In the Search Results, click the link to the desired course to open the page.
Add a Missing Component
First you will need to determine if you are adding this new component to an existing course because it was missing to begin with or if you plan to have this new component available in the future to align with a planned change in the course.
- If you're just adding a missing component to an existing course, then you'll go directly to the Components tab to add it.
- If you're making a fundamental change to the course to add a new component, then you'll be creating a new Effective Dated course row* and then adding the component.
*Warning: Be very careful with making changes to components, ESPECIALLY if you're removing a component. Often times in an effort to 'clean up' the course catalog after Go Live a college will go back (using Correct History) and remove a component to prevent it from being offered in Schedule of Class. If a class has already been scheduled using that component (or converted to that component) and their pay calculated, removing the component from the Course Catalog effectively shuts off FWL from seeing that class. While this could be a non-issue if their pay has already been processed, if there is any recalculation performed on that instructor for that term, their pay will rescind and cannot be brought back without adding that component back to the course and recalculating again.
- Once you have selected the course to edit, if you are adding a new Effective Dated row
- Click on the Components tab to add a missing component.
- On the Components tab, in the Course Component section, click the Plus (+) symbol to add a new entry.
- Click the Course Component drop down box to select the new compoent value to be added.
- Add the Instructor Contact Hours at the proper ratio*.
Correcting the Units of a Component
To correct the Units of a Component
Adjust the Instructor Contact Hours for a Component
To adjust the Contact Hours of a Component