Create Course Equivalency Group - 21a (VC05)
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for creating course equivalency groups in ctcLink.
Audience: Student Records Staff
Navigation: Main Menu > Curriculum Management > Course Catalog > Course Equivalencies
Creating course equivalency groups
- On the Course Equivalencies page, click the Add New Value tab.
- Assign an ID or accept the ctcLink ID that is assigned upon saving the component by leaving the value of NEW in the Equivalent Course Group field.
- Click the Add button.
- On the Course Equivalencies page, enter the course equivalency data to define the course equivalency group.
a. Effective Date: Used to define when the equivalency group is valid. This may require a backdate to make the equivalency group available for historical courses or a future date for new courses not available yet.
Insert new rows if needed when changing the status of an existing equivalency group
b. Status: As this is a new group the status should be Active.
Note: To inactivate an equivalent course group, the equivalent course group number must be deleted from each course to which it is attached on the Catalog Data page in addition to changing the status to Inactive on this page.
c. Description and Short Description: Describe the equivalency group in a way to find later. It is best practice to start the description with your college’s institution code as this table is not institution specific and a college can later search by description using this code (e.g. WA220 English 101).
d. Click the Save button. Note the ID number assigned to the Equivalent Course Group for future use.
- Navigate to the Catalog Data page to assign this Equivalent Course Group ID to the appropriate courses:
Main Menu > Curriculum Management > Course Catalog > Course Catalog
- Look up the course by Institution using the values available.
- Click the Search button.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Correct History button.
c. In the Additional Course Information box on the Catalog Data tab, enter the Equivalent Course Group ID to add the course to a group of equivalent courses for requisite checking and degree progress requirement purposes. If two courses have the same Equivalent Course Group number, then they are equivalent to each other and can fulfill the same requirement.
Note: If the effective date selected in step 4 above is after the effective date of the course on the Course data tab, the Equivalent Course Group will not be available in the look up for that field. In this case, either the Equivalent Course Group must be backdated to match the date on the Catalog Data page or a new effective dated row needs to be added to the catalog data page to match the date on the Equivalent Course Group page.
d. Click the Save button.
e. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Return to Search button to add another Equivalent Course Group.
- To view the courses associated with the Equivalent Course Group, navigate to the Course Equivalencies page:
Main Menu > Curriculum Management > Course Catalog > Course Equivalencies
- Enter the appropriate information into the Equivalent Course Group field.
- Click the Search button.
- Click the Fetch Course Equivalencies button to view all courses linked to this equivalent course group.The equivalent courses are listed in the Equivalent Courses region of the page.