Creating New Courses in the Course Catalog - 21a (VC05)
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for creating a course in the catalog in ctcLink.
Audience: Student Records
Navigation: Main Menu > Curriculum Management > Course Catalog > Course Catalog
- On the Course Catalog page, click the Add New Value tab.
- Click the Add button.
Catalog Data tab
- On the Catalog Data tab, enter the following information:
- Effective Date: earliest possible date the course may be scheduled.
- Description, Long Course Title: typically the course title.
- Long Description: typically the course description.
- Minimum/Maximum: the unit range for the class, the number will be the same for non-variable credit courses.
- Academic Progress Units: typically matches the Minimum/maximum unitand is used when calculating student academic load.
- Financial Aid Progress Units: enter the number of units for the course that the system counts towards tracking a student's financial aid load for a term.
- Last Course for Mult Term Seq: leave unchecked except for multi-term courses.
Enrollment Unit Load Calc Type:
- Actual Units: ctcLink populates the Enrollment Unit Load Calc Type field with Actual Units by default. Enter this option for any course that has identical values for the Minimum Units, Maximum Units, and Academic Progress Units fields.
- Academic Units: Enter this option for any course that does not have identical minimum units, maximum units, and academic progress units, such as remedial courses and multi-term sequence courses. Entering this option requires the system to look at the academic progress units when it calculates academic load.
- Course Count: If you count courses (in addition to units) toward academic advising requirements or limits, enter a course count value in this field.
- Course Contact Hours: Enter weekly course contact hours. Populates to the Schedule of Classes Instructor Contact Hours page to calculate total contact hours (non-FWL related).
- In the Course Grading section enter the following information:
- Grading Basis: Select the appropriate grading basis for the course.
- Grade Roster Print: Select By Student.
- In the Repeat for Credit Rules section enter the following information:
- Repeat for Credit: If selected this checkbox will allow students to repeat courses and will open the Total Units Allowed and Total Completions Allowed boxes.
- Allow Multiple Enroll in Term: if checked this allows students enroll in a course multiple times per term.
- In the Additional Course Information section enter the following information:
- Instructor Edit: Defaults to No Choice, change selection if you want students to be able to select an instructor.
- Add/Drop Consent: Defaults to No Consent, change selection if you want to require student permission numbers to enroll in this course (This can also be defined on an individual term basis on the course schedule).
- Requirement Designation: Only used if course has defined requirement designation. These are set up at the global level and are used to fulfill academic requirements for Advisement.
- Equivalent Course Group: Look up or input if the course has an equivalent course group defined (See QRG for Creating Course Equivalencies).
- In the Course Attributes section enter the following information:
- Input or Look up course attributes, which are used for funding courses. Multiple rows can be added by selecting the [+] sign.
- Course Topics: Allows you to define specific topic descriptions to a course.
Course Offerings tab
- In the Course Offerings Section, enter the following information:
- Course Offering Nbr: Allow to default.
- Catalog Nbr: Input the number designated for this course.
- Academic Institution: Input or Look Up.
- Academic Group: Input or Look Up.
- Subject Area: Input or Look Up.
- Campus: Main.
- Academic Organization: Input or Look Up.
- Academic Career: Input or Look Up.
- Course Typically Offered: Optional, if the college wishes to student to view the terms that the course is typically available
- Tuition Group: Input or Look Up.
- Dynamic Class Date Rule: Leave Blank unless using dynamic dates for this course.
- OEE Dynamic Date Rule: Used for open entry/exit course only.
- Course Approved: Courses default to Pending, change the status to Approved when the course is ready to be scheduled.
- Allow Course to be Scheduled: Select when the course is open for scheduling.
- Exam only course: leave unchecked.
- Selection Boxes (Catalog Print, Schedule Print, etc.)
- *OPTIONAL - Check the Split Ownership box to designate multiple Academic Organization owners for this course. When this box is checked, the Academic Organization and percent owned fields become available for entry.
- Enrollment Requirement Group: Select if the course has enrollment requirements (see QRG for creating Enrollment Requirements).
- CIP CODE: Input or select.
- HEGIS CODE: Leave blank.
- In the Course Component Section, enter the following information:
- Course Component: Select from list. Multiple components can be created by clicking the + sign (i.e. Lecture and Lab courses)
- Instructor Contact Hours: Input Contact Hours. Note: This field is used for Faculty Workload, see additional details on the Faculty Workload QRGs.
- Default Section Size: This will default the class size when scheduled
- Workload Hours/OEE Workload Hours: Leave Blank.
- Final Exam: Select from list.
- Exam Seating Space: Input Exam seating requirements.
- Provider for Authentication/LMS Extraction: Leave Blank.
- Auto Create: Select for multi-component classes.
- Primary/Graded Component boxes: Select for multi-component classes on the graded component only.
- Add Fee: See QRG on Adding course fees for more details.
- In the Attributes section, enter the following information:
- Input Faculty Workload Units (see additional details on the Faculty Workload QRGs).
- In the Course Attendance section, enter the following information:
- Instruction Mode: Input or Look Up. Multiple Instruction modes can be created by clicking the + sign (i.e. In Person and Online)
- Attendance Type: Select from drop down, typically use Class Meeting to record attendance for all dates.
- Selection boxes: Use check boxes to identify options for each instruction mode.
Note: If a course is scheduled in an instruction mode that is not defined on the catalog page, users will not be able to generate attendance rosters for the course.
- In the Room Characteristics Required section: (optional)
- Identify required room features for the course; Multiple room characteristics can be created by clicking [+] sign.
GL Interface tab
Note: The GL Interface maps course fees as item types to their proper general ledger accounts. ctcLink generates charges to the student's account based on the course code defined on this page and offsets these charges based on the general ledger information defined on this page. Student records needs to coordinate the information on this page with the controller's office.
- Click the Save button.
Updates to the catalog are done by clicking the [+] sign with a new effective dated row on the Catalog Data tab. A new row on this tab will apply the new effective date to all subsequent tabs.