UAT HF.002 - Payroll to FIN [Sprint 2]
User Acceptance Test Overview
When testing payroll it is important to note that preparation of employee records for the payroll execution is just as important as the payroll execution itself. Once you begin the process of creating paysheets for payroll you will no longer be updating any Job Data in HR, as to do so impacts and disrupts the payroll execution. Because of this, it is important that testing of the HH.001 - Hire to Payroll in Sprint 1 be complete before attempting to commence testing of payroll execution. Time and absence entries from the prior high level (Tier 1) test activity as well as the maintenance of employee data related to pay lead richer results in the payroll test execution.
The first step in the HF.002 - Payroll to Finance (General Ledger/Accounts Payable) process is in fact the maintenance of employee pay data [HF.002.1 - Maintain Employee Pay Data], where additional pay, deductions, such as garnishments, tax and even direct deposit information is entered prior to commencing the payroll process. Some of these may require adjustment or corrections as test calculations are run as part of the payroll process and are a normal part of payroll processing.
Once a payroll run is confirmed the actual posting of payroll expenditure data is done in the General Ledger test process [FF.007 - General Ledger]. Coordination of testing is important for this data to properly flow into the the Finance Pillar.
The information below is intended to provide colleges guidance on performing a User Acceptance Test on this business process. The business process shown in the flow diagrams below may be only part of what is needed to complete an end-to-end test of a full business cycle. Coordination with other colleagues at your college in advance of commencing testing is key to success. In the same way that it doesn't take a single individual to operate the business of running a college it will require coordination across departments to successfully test a business flow from beginning to end.
UAT HF.002 - Payroll to FIN Flow Chart
Data Scenarios for End-to-End High Level Flow (Tier 1)
The following 'End-to-End' data scenarios need to be tested as part of this process:
- Classified & Hourly Employees with time sheet data entered.
- FT Faculty with any stipends outside of regular pay entered as Additional Pay.
- Employees with Garnishments.
- An employee with a time sheet for the entire pay period of Leave without Pay to test negative net pay.
- A set of employees with each type of available leave to confirm leave deductions.
- A student employee (enrolled in LESS than 6 credits) who will have FICA deductions.
- A student employee (enrolled in MORE than 6 credits) who will not have FICA deductions.
- An employee terminated part way through the pay period.
- Identify a Faculty employee whose 'Summer' term is during the Winter or Spring term and pre-pay of deductions can be executed.
- A set of employees who have SB1 in their benefit program to verify FSA, HSA deductions.
- An employee with VEBA and/or Leave Buyout during the Pay Period.
- An employee with an existing overpayment that will need to have a One Time negative to recover the overpayment during the test pay period.
- An employee on a short work break to confirm payroll will not send pay.