9.2 Enter or Adjust a Budget Online
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for entering or adjusting a Commitment Control budget in ctcLink.
Audience: Budget Manager and Budget Administrator
Enter or Adjust a Budget Online
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Commitment Control > Budget Journal > Enter Budget Journals
Note: Commitment Control enables you to control expenditures against predefined budgets. These are the step-by-step instructions on how to enter the budget information into Commitment Control.
TIP: The user must have the security role of Budget Manager or Budget Administrator. These are the only roles authorized to enter or transfer budgets in Commitment Control.
- Select the a New Value tab on the Enter Budget Journals page.
- If Business Unit did not automatically populate, enter or select the business unit in the Business Unit field.
- Keep Journal ID as “NEXT” and Journal date as Current date. You may change Journal Date field.
- Select the Add button.
- Use the Budget Header page to specify budget header information.
- Note: You can also attach supporting documents here.
- Enter or select CC_ORG from the drop-down list in the Ledger Group field. This is the non-Grant/project ledger.
- Note: For the Grant/Project Budget, Please enter budgets through the Grant/Project Module.
- Use the Budget Entry Type drop-down list to select the budget entry type Original for base budget amounts.
- Note: For Budget Adjustment Journal, select the budget entry type as Adjustment.
- Check the Generate Parent Budget box, unless the box is already “grayed out”. A grayed out box indicates that user preference was modified. (To modify this user preference, navigate to Set Up Financials/Supply Chain>Common Definitions>User Preferences>Define User Preferences. Change Parent Budget Generation to “Always Generate”.) The Parent Budget Entry Type should also be Original.
- Note: For Budget Adjustment Journal, select Parent Budget Entry Type as Adjustment.
- Enter a detailed description of the budget in the Long Description field.
- Select the Attachments (0) link to add supporting documents to the budget journal. Also, check the box Show to Approver. This check box enables approvers to see an attachment.
Enter either PERMANENT, TEMPORARY or EARMARK in the Alternate Description field.
- Permanent - The budget for that year.
- Temporary - Adjustments that are not intended to be carried over to the next year. It does not matter if is a +or -.
Earmark - Special budget for a specific directive/spending. This is a variety of things, such as disability services or apprenticeship services.
- This field is required for reporting purposes. This will allow the budget entries to report in a query format using QFS_KK_BUDGET_EXPENSE_BALANCE. Enter separate Budget Journals based on the type of budget described in the Alternate Description.
- Select the Budget Lines tab.
- Enter or select Budget Period.
- Enter or select all the Chartfields values.
- Enter the budget amount or adjusted amount value in Amount field on the far right side of the row.
- If you want multiple lines then click the Insert Lines button (+) and enter all the details.
- Select the Save button.
- You will see Journal ID Number.
- If the Budget Journal Approval is set up for your college, then you will see the Approval Header Status is “Not Submitted”.
- If you do not have Budget Journal Approval turned on for your college then select the Process button to post the Budget Journal or follow QRG Post Budget Journal (Online).
- If you have Budget Journal Approval turned on for your college then follow QRG Budget Pre-check and Submit the Budget Journal for Approval for the next step.
- Process complete.