FIN - Data Validation - 1099 Withholding
Purpose: This document is to provide colleges instructions on how to perform the validation of data in the PeopleSoft environment.
Colleges are being asked to review data that was converted from the legacy environment to PeopleSoft. The goal of data validation is to ensure legacy data was accurately converted into PeopleSoft. College Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) are included in data validation as a learning experience in navigating the PeopleSoft application, selecting records to review, and reporting issues discovered.
College executives are asked to support the time and effort expended by college SMEs necessary to complete the following:
- Develop a familiarity with navigating the relevant PeopleSoft menus and pages.
- Review selected records, comparing legacy data to the records as converted into PeopleSoft.
- Report issues discovered after careful review of converted data.
- Monitor resolution of reported issues for review in the next conversion testing round.
- Develop an approach for self-managing the data validation and issue reporting process in subsequent rounds of data conversion testing.
It is expected that College Data Validation SMEs will have already read the Data Validation Overview guides before beginning their validation activities:
For the 1099 Balance conversion, we are converting current calendar year balance totals, by College Business Unit, by Supplier, by 1099 Balance Class. Here is a summary of the kind of information converted as it relates to bringing in these balances:
- Supplier ID: If a college has a balance for a Supplier that does not already exist in PeopleSoft, that Supplier is created. Supplier TIN is used to match Legacy Vendors to existing PeopleSoft Suppliers.
- Note: In cases where the given supplier(s) were not found or did not exist in Production, those supplier(s) will not be converted. Supplier Names may be different than legacy Supplier Names..
- Supplier Location: College-specific Supplier Locations are added in instances where a Supplier exists but is missing a Location for the identified college.
- Supplier Address: Provided address information is converted into a new Supplier created in PeopleSoft. Address information is also converted in for existing Suppliers when that Supplier is missing a Location for the appropriate college.
- Supplier Withholding Status: Suppliers with a converted 1099 balance are flagged as 1099-eligible Suppliers.
- Supplier TIN: The Supplier’s TIN is converted into the Supplier Header as well as into the Supplier Location for the identified college.
- Supplier 1099 Balance: Supplier balance information is converted in by Withholding Class, e.g. 07.
In Canvas are conversion summary files for the provided conversion data indicating the lines that were converted. Supplier TIN’s are sensitive data so we have the link in Canvas that will bring you to CDR (ctcLink Data Repository) web page:on DG4 Finance Conversion Information on Canvas or DG5 Finance Conversion Information on Canvas
The Validation Results and Feedback are due NO LATER THAN on the last day of the Data Validation Period. It is strongly recommended that issues are reported EARLY in the validation period and are not held until the end of the period. Validation Results and Feedback are for reporting closure of the college's validation activities for the conversion cycle. To view a list of the validation periods please refer to the timeline topic in the Data Validation Overview - Getting Started Guide.
Questions regarding these data validation activities and general questions or concerns about project data validation process can be addressed to the following contact person.
While the conversion approach for the data elements identified in Section 2.2, above, were followed, it’s possible that some provided data was not directly converted for the purpose of this conversion effort. Additionally, it’s possible that some information will appear differently than the way it was provided.
Here is a list of these kinds of common items to keep in mind while you’re doing your data validation:
- PeopleSoft Supplier Names may be different than your provided Supplier Name. This can happen when a balance is being converted into a Supplier ID that was already in PeopleSoft as part of the early Supplier conversion and cleanup efforts. Again, Legacy Vendors are matched to PeopleSoft Suppliers using their TIN.
- Small errors in provided data may have resulted in that data getting adjusted slightly so that it could be loaded expediently. Any such changes will be noted in your college’s Known Conversion Issues conversion summary document available on DG4 Finance Conversion Information on Canvas or DG5 Finance Conversion Information on Canvas site.
- 1099 data may have resulted in a provided entry not being converted. Any entry not converted will be noted in your college’s conversion summary with an explanation of why it couldn’t be converted.
- In cases where the given supplier(s) were not found or did not exist in Production, those supplier(s) will not be converted.
Each of the issues identified above presents a potential challenge that needs to be overcome for the final conversion run of 1099 data. Go-live conversion planning discussions will be held in the months prior to go-live to establish standard procedures for dealing this these kinds of errors.
This section outlines the tasks necessary to perform data validation of the 1099 balance data provided by the colleges. The goal for 1099 balance conversion is to take provided Legacy balance information and convert it into equivalent PeopleSoft Suppliers. See note in the 1099 Balance Conversion Summary for circumstance when it may not match expectations. The conversion summary also outlines the key information from Legacy that was translated into PeopleSoft. It’s possible that issues were encountered during this conversion process. If any such issued occurred, these will be outlined in the Common Conversion Issues section below or if there were specific issues for an individual college or conversion cycle the on DG4 Finance Conversion Information on Canvas or DG5 Finance Conversion Information on Canvas site will contain a known issues document. Please be sure to read through these issues prior to starting your data validation work in case any apply to your college’s data.
Navigation Path: Navigator > Suppliers > 1099/Global Withholding > Review > Supplier Balance by Class
Listed above is the menu path you will use to get to a 1099 balance review page that you can use to perform your data validation work. Start by clicking on “NavBar” in the upper-right portion of the PeopleSoft landing page and drill into the menus using the path shown above. This will take you to the Supplier Balance by Class review page.
You will use the Supplier Balance by Class Page identified above to bring up a balance to validate.
- Navigate to the page and enter “WACTC” in the SetID field. Suppliers are globally defined, so all colleges will use this same SetID value when searching for Suppliers.
- Next, enter the Supplier ID for a converted balance you want to validate.
- Enter the Location Code for your college into the Supplier Location field; seen in the screen shot below as '000', Examples of these Locations include:
- Seattle District: WA060, enter 060.
- Edmonds: WA230, enter 230.
- Centralia: WA120 of enter 120.
Click the “Search” button.
This will take you to the Supplier 1099 Balance page for you selected Supplier
Set your Start Date (01/01/ccyy), where the century/year is the current calendar year and set your End Date to the current date, essentially to set the look up parameters to the beginning and end of the current calendar year. Next, click the Search button. Your converted balances will appear for your college’s Business Unit in the results box below.
Navigation Path: Navigator > Reporting Tools > Query > Query Manager
In addition to the Supplier Balance by Class page, which allows you to see balances for a single Supplier at a time, you can also use a query to see converted 1099 balances for all of your Suppliers. The following query looks at the Withholding Transaction Table (WTHD_TRXN_TBL) which is where manual 1099 balance adjustments can be seen.
Query name: CTC_AP_1099_ALL_WITHD_BALANCE.
Enter part or all of the query name into the search box and click the Search button.
The search will bring back all queries that starts with “CTC_AP_1099”. Locate the right query and click on the Run to HTML link text.
Finally, specify Business Unit, enter the date range you want to retrieve your transactions for such as the current reporting calendar year and click the View Results button.
This section outlines the various pieces of 1099 Balance data you will want to check and validate. The screenshots below illustrate how this can be done from the Supplier Balance by Class page, but the same could be done through the Query identified in the Section on Querying 1099 Balance Data.
Validate Supplier Balances by Class
To do this, you’ll need to select your target Supplier from the Supplier Balance by Class Page as outlined in the section on Searching and Viewing Individual 1099 Supplier Balance.
- Verify that you have selected the correct Supplier and Location and that your date range encompasses the entire calendar year.
- Verify that the converted 1099 Balances have been recorded under the correct Business Unit.
- Verify that the correct balance for that Supplier can been converted using the correct class. Use the Class/Description field to verify the withholding class and the Basis Amt field to verify the converted balance amount.
College data validation SMEs will communicate any conversion issues they encounter during their data validation via the Oracle Test Manager (OTM) application. The ctcLink Testing Team will provide OTM orientation materials before the data validation period for any data validation SMEs who are not familiar with the tool. Please refer to the Data Validation Overview - Reporting Issues guide for more information on using OTM.
When logging a new issue in OTM related to data being validated through this guide, remember to use the following values for these specific required fields in your issue entry under the project tied to this Deployment Group and Data Validation Cycle:
- Summary: (Provide a title for the issue discovered)
- Assigned To: Bill Cabiling / Sabit Gottipati
- Status: (Leave as NEW)
- College or Location : (Specify the college or district)
- Priority: (Leave blank - not used)