HCM - Data Validation - Time & Labor
Purpose: This document is to provide colleges instructions on how to perform the validation of data in the PeopleSoft environment.
Colleges are being asked to review data that was converted from the legacy environment to PeopleSoft. The goal of data validation is to ensure legacy data was accurately converted into PeopleSoft. College Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) are included in data validation as a learning experience in navigating the PeopleSoft application, selecting records to review, and reporting issues discovered.
College executives are asked to support the time and effort expended by college SMEs necessary to complete the following:
- Develop a familiarity with navigating the relevant PeopleSoft menus and pages.
- Review selected records, comparing legacy data to the records as converted into PeopleSoft.
- Report issues discovered after careful review of converted data.
- Monitor resolution of reported issues for review in the next conversion testing round.
- Develop an approach for self-managing the data validation and issue reporting process in subsequent rounds of data conversion testing.
It is expected that College Data Validation SMEs will have already read the Data Validation Overview guides before beginning their validation activities:
Time and Labor enrollment material is related to Job Data in that only people with Job Data will have a Time and Labor enrollment. Job Data is converted and validated separately from Time and Labor.
A crosswalk called CTC_WRKGRP_XWLK is used to shortcut enrollments for most users in PeopleSoft, but validation is needed to correct for exceptions to rules. Other enrollments are determined from Job Data information. Compensatory Time balances will be converted from Legacy.
Access to the following screens will be needed in Legacy for Time and Labor validation:
- PS1019- Leave Posting Screen
- PS0025- Leave By Month Screen
- PS0001 Employee Staus Screen (for Employee Type)
- PS0035 Employee Miscellaneous Screen
The Validation Results and Feedback are due NO LATER THAN on the last day of the Data Validation Period. It is strongly recommended that issues are reported EARLY in the validation period and are not held until the end of the period. Validation Results and Feedback are for reporting closure of the college's validation activities for the conversion cycle. To view a list of the validation periods please refer to the timeline topic in the Data Validation Overview - Getting Started Guide.
Time and Labor Enrollment
The following PeopleSoft table is the basis for Time and Labor enrollment in the system: CTC_WRKGRP_XWLK
Based on answers about the above fields certain enrollments are mapped to specific configuration values in PeopleSoft.
- EMPL_CLASS will frequently map to a specific WORKGROUP
- MAJ_UNION_IND is used to differentiate when there are Workgroups that are represented vs non-represented
- TIME_RPTR_IND will either be E for Elapsed or P for Punch and depending on the answer a Reporting Template will be chosen in either ELP_TR_TMPLT_ID or PCH_TR_TMPLT_ID to correspond. They are mutually exclusive, a user will either have an Elapsed or Punch template not both
- All Workgroups have the same Taskgroup
- All Workgroups send time to Payroll (even Volunteers must have L&I reported through Payroll)
- All Workgroups use Time Zone PST
Empl Class is based out of previous Job Data decisions and cleanup should take place in Bio/Demo or Job Data validation cycles.
Comp Time Plans (C-058)
- Comp Plan enrollment is done based on Union/non-Union Jobs and balances being sent over for an employee.
- When "WF" is on the Job Labor tab Job Data COMP_TIME_PLAN = "WFSECMP"
- When "WP” is on the Job Labor tab in Job Data COMP_TIME_PLAN = "WPEACMP"
- Else COMP_TIME_PLAN = "WACOMP1"
- Comp balances are loaded through reportable time and the TL Admin process is run to post them to the table so they can be viewed
- Users have to have active classified Job Data. Only Classified are enrolled automatically.
- There are no schedules in legacy, and in PeopleSoft workgroups and paygroups have a default schedule, so any specific deviation from the default will need manual attention
- In Cycle 4, the Project team will contact you to provide a list of non-default schedules to load into the system at Go-Live as an optional file.
Time Reporter Groups
- This is established by the Project team and does not come from legacy.
Time and Labor Security
- This is established by the Project team and does not come from legacy.
- COMP_TIME_PLAN maps the TRCs (Time Reporting Codes) from Legacy to the new TRCs in PeopleSoft for Comp Time Plans.
Depending on how Job Data is converted and validated is the strongest indicator of whether there will be Time and Labor mapping issues. Previously there was improper mapping of EMPL CLASS, which resulted in errors to workgroup affiliation. So long as Job Data is clean, mapping should proceed without issue. Conversely, if there is a problem with enrollment, Job Data should be examined first and not just corrected at the the Time and Labor enrollment level.
Time Administration must be run prior to Comp Time Balances displaying and to be able to run Time Administration, it has been noted that Rules may need to be recompiled depending on how the environment was constructed. Project Team will perform the initial run of Time Administration.
The Select Employee screen has traditionally suffered from security issues, and security may need to be adjusted to use the Select Employee functionality to view the Comp Time population.
Occasionally there is an error returned when someone possess a Comp Time Balance but no Classified job. Comp Time Balances will not be loaded onto Job records which are not Classified. These must be manually handled on the Legacy side.
It’s probably a good idea to look at about 20% to 25% of the records every cycle until all records have been evaluated, and though most have not changed at this point there should be stand-outs and exceptions should be paid special attention. For example, is there someone who changed EMPL CLASS from hourly to classified, does their workgroup look correct?
- In the upper right hand corner of the screen note the following:
- Home (it’s a house icon), this will return the user to the Main Menu links
- New Window, this link will create a new window so the user can view multiple screens at once
- Navigation Bar (NavBar) (it’s the compass icon), this is another way to access the main menu
- Navigate to Query Viewer by clicking on the following:
- NavBar > Navigator > Reporting Tools > Query > Query Viewer
- Click New Window in the upper right hand corner
- Click the Home button
- At this point there should be two browser windows open, one with the Query Viewer, and one with the Main Menu links
- The user can open multiple New Windows if they want to compare multiple screens simultaneously
- In the Query Viewer window click the drop down box next to Search By and select Folder Name
- Next to “begins with” type: VAL TIME AND LABOR
- The following queries should appear:
- TL_VAL_COMP_TIME_PLANS shows all Compensatory Plan Enrollments
- TL_VAL_COMP_TIME_BAL shows all non zero Compensatory Time balances
- TL_VAL_SCHEDULE_ASSIGN shows specifically assigned schedules to users (most users will not have a schedule because it defaults from workgroup)
- TL_VAL_TIME_REPORT_ENROLL shows the Time and Labor enrollment status (Active or Inactive), Reporter Type (Elapsed or Punch), Elapsed and Punch Template, Workgroup, and Taskgroup
- Click “Run to HTML” on any of the queries to run the query in a new window
- Make sure your pop up blocker in your browser is not blocking the ability to run the query
- Use the magnifying glass in the query window to select a viable Company code from the table (or type in your college number)
- Click View Results
- The most reliable way to use these screens is to fill in the EMPLID and the EMPL RECORD and click Search or Get Employee as applicable (if the search screen uses Get Employees then there is additional step to click on the link under “Last Name” in the bottom left hand corner)
- Both of these values will be indicated in the queries along with the user’s first and last name
- If only default schedules are being used then the schedule query will produce no results, only specifically chosen schedules will populate in the Assign Schedule screen (see screenshots below for reference)
- These PeopleSoft screens will contain the same information as the query, but it will be presented to you in the format you will interact with most frequently in PeopleSoft
- It is not recommended to complete the entire validation EMPLID by EMPLID, the best way to validate is to look at the query output, and then come to the PeopleSoft screens to look at special cases, or employees that have potential errors
- The following links correspond to the following queries:
- NavBar > Navigator > Time and Labor > Enroll Time Reporters > Comp Plan History
- Comp Plan History is to be used with TL_VAL_COMP_TIME_PLANS
- In Legacy, this corresponds to having an active Job, Classified, and relative to Union status.
- The Empl Class can be found on screen PS0001 will give the EMPLOYEE TYPE (everyone with a C and an active Job should be enrolled).
- Union will also need to be referenced on screen PS0035 under the relavant BARG UNIT EMP’S (if there is no bargaining unit present then a default generic Comp Plan is assigned)
- NavBar > Navigator > Time and Labor > Enroll Time Reporters > Assign Work Schedule
- Assign Work Schedule is to be used with TL_VAL_SCHEDULE_ASSIGN
- This does not relate to Legacy screens, it is included for confirmation that no schedules have been assigned. (In future cycles, there may be schedules assigned.)
- NavBar > Navigator > Time and Labor > Enroll Time Reporters > Maintain Time Reporter Data
- Maintain Time Reporter Data is to be used with TL_VAL_TIME_REPORT_ENROLL
- In Legacy, there is no equivalent enrollment screen. This is present to validate the Workgroup enrollment and Time Reporting Template choices for various college populations.
- Any requested changes will require project to change a crosswalk
- NavBar > Navigator > Time and Labor > View Time > Compensatory Time
- Compensatory Time is to be used with TL_VAL_COMP_TIME_BAL
- In Legacy, Compensatory Time is associated with screens PS1019 and PS0025, with the COMPS TIME BALANCE on PS1019 being the most relavent field.
College Data Validation SMEs will communicate any conversion issues they encounter during their data validation via the Oracle Test Manager (OTM) application. The ctcLink Testing Team will provide OTM orientation materials before the data validation period for any College Data Validation SMEs who are not familiar with the tool. Please refer to the Data Validation Overview - Reporting Issues guide for more information on using OTM.
When logging a new issue in OTM related to data being validated through this guide, remember to use the following values for these specific required fields in your issue entry under the project tied to this Deployment Group and Data Validation Cycle
Also, upon completion of data validation, please ensure feedback has been logged in OTM.
- Pillar: HCM
- Assigned To: Josephine Lomax
- Test Phase: (Current Cycle)
- Conversion Effort: Comp Time Balances / T&L Enrollment