9.2 Using the GL Reconciliation Inquiry
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for creating and running the GL Subsystem Reconciliation Inquiry to review subsystem transactions that may or may not have posted to the general ledger.
Audience: Financial Staff
The GL Reconciliation page provides visibility to both the subsystem accounting lines/General Ledger inquiry, as well as the subsystem documents that have not yet been processed into accounting lines.
Navigation: NavBar > General Ledger > GL Subsystem Reconciliation > GL Reconciliation Inquiry
Create a New Inquiry
- Find an existing Inquiry Name or select the Add a New Value tab on the GL Reconciliation Inquiry page to add a new value.
- Enter your User ID, if it did not automatically populate.
- Specify an Inquiry name that can be re-used for future inquiries. Use any name meaningful to you without spaces or special characters up to 10 characters, i.e. ASSETMGMT.
- Select the Add button.
- Enter a Description, Search Criteria and ChartField Criteria for the Inquiry.
- Enter a meaningful Description. This is a required field.
- Enter the Search Criteria: Enter your GL Business Unit if it does not default from your User Preferences.
- Enter the Ledger Group if it does not default from your User Preferences.
- Enter LOCAL as the Ledger.
- Enter the desired Fiscal Year in YYYY format.
- Enter the desired From Period and To Period (1-12).
- Enter the desired As of Date. The As of Date determines the date the transaction was actually posted, which may be earlier or later than the transaction/journal date.
- Enter the ChartField Criteria: Select Account from the dropdown list. Enter the ChartField From Value and ChartField To value that will contain the accounts you wish to query. For example, to inquire on all Asset Transactions, use the accounts 202000 (Fixed Assets) 202510 (Construction In Progress).
- Add additional ChartFields by selecting the button. Enter the desired ChartField From Value and ChartField To value for the selected ChartField.
- Select Save.
- Note: Extraneous Inquiry definitions can be deleted by selecting the icon.
- Select the Search button, which opens the Reconciliation Overview page with your search result details.
- The data on the left side of the Overview comes from the relevant subsystem accounting line table.
- The Not Distributed amount represents the transactions posted in the subsystem that have not been posted to the General Ledger, i.e., journal generator has not processed these transactions. This number is replicated in the General Ledger Data on the right side of the Overview.
- The Distributed amount represents the transactions posted in the subsystem that have been posted to the General Ledger.
- And the Total Accounting Line Amount is the sum of the first two amounts.
- The data on the right side of the Overview comes from the General Ledger.
- The Ledger Amount is the amount that has posted to the Ledger.
- The Not Distributed amount is just repeated from the left side amount.
- The Journal Amount Not Posted is the total of all relevant journal lines that have been created but not yet posted to the Ledger.
- The Adjusted GL Amount is the sum of the first three amounts.
- The Difference should be 0.00. If it is not, find the row(s) in the Details table where the Total Accounting Line Amount does not equal the Total Jrnl Line Amount. You can download the Details table to Excel by clicking the icon in the table header to facilitate the review.
- After finding the row(s) not in agreement, click on the drill to detail icon to see the details of the transaction and journal.
- From the Drill to Source page you can see details of transaction, including the ChartFields and asset transaction details in the journal. From this page, you can drill down further to the subsystem pages to further investigate the differences.
- Use the Return to Criteria link to refine your search, or the Return to Inquiry Overview link to go back to the previous page.
What the Reconciliation Overview does not tell you is whether there are still transactions in the subsystem that have not been posted to the accounting line table for journal generator to process.
To see those details, select the Documents not yet Posted link on the Overview (1), or the SubSystemDocument tab on the Reconciliation Criteria page (2).
- Selecting either of the options takes you to the Subsystem Documents Not Posted page, where you can enter the pertinent Subsystem Documents Not Posted Search Criteria.
- Enter the Application Business Unit, if not defaulted from your user preferences.
- Select the System Source from the lookup.
- Currently available Sources are:
- GAM Asset Management
- GAP Accounts Payable
- GAR Accounts Receivable
- GBI Billing
- GEX Expenses
- GPO Purchasing
- GTR - Treasury
- The remaining fields will default from the original Search Criteria, but can be changed if necessary.
- Choose one or more Source Documents from the dropdown list. Some System Sources have multiple Source Documents. For example, GAM only has one source document, GAR has seven. Add more Source Documents by selecting the button.
- Check the Selected box for each Source Document you wish to review. You must select at least one Source Document.
- Select the Fetch button to retrieve the data from the subsystem.
- If you want to refine the search criteria, select the Clear button, change the criteria, and then use the Load Data button to generate a new dataset based on the new criteria. You do not have to Fetch again to load a new dataset.
Note: The search criteria are saved with the Inquiry. If you re-run the Inquiry at a later date, you may need to Fetch the data again.
The Document Details table will populate with any transactions in the subsystem that have not posted to the accounting line table(s).
- You can select the icon (next to the Accounting Date) to open the Cost History component in a new tab, where you can view details of the transaction.