9.2 Editing a Journal
Purpose: Use this document to make edits to the journal using ctcLink
Audience: Finance Staff
After entering a journal, you must edit it before you can post it. If errors occur during the editing process, then you can recycle the journal for correction and re-editing.
You can edit journals online or through the batch edit process. You can edit a large number of journal entries through the batch edit process. To edit journals through the batch process, you enter a process request.
The Journal Edit process ensures that ChartField values are valid, ChartField combinations are valid, debits equal credits, and journal entries are balanced for Business Unit, Fund, and Operating Unit. In this QRG, you edit journals using the Journal Edit Request page, which checks journals using your selected criteria for errors to ensure that they are valid before you post them.
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > General Ledger > Journals > Process Journals > Edit Journals
Editing a Journal
The Run Control ID is an identifier that, when paired with your User ID, uniquely identifies the process you are running. The Run Control ID allows important parameters to be available for a process when the process runs, which ensures that when a process runs in the background, it does not prompt the user for additional values. All parameters are stored within the system and associated with Run Control IDs and User IDs.
- The Edit Journals run control ID search page displays. Select the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter a valid value in the Run Control ID field.
- Select Add.
This now takes you to the Edit Journals Request page. This page is used to edit groups of journals based on criteria you provide. You can also use this page to mark journals for posting.
- The system displays the default values for the Business Unit, Ledger Group, and Source fields. The edit process is also selected.
- You can enter a range of Journal IDs or leave blank. The edit process will edit all journals that are valid and ready to be edited.
- The Journal Date To/From fields can be used separately from the Journal ID fields and only Journals that fall into the specified date range will get processed.
- These two sets of fields (and the others on the run control screen) can both be used in conjunction to make an even more restrictive process selection criteria.
For the purposes of this QRG, we will be leaving the Journal ID fields blank.
- In the Process Frequency box, check Always. (You want this request to be processed each time editing is initiated).
- Enter a valid value in the Description field.
- Enter a valid value in the Journal Date From field.
- Enter a valid value in the To Journal Date field.
- Select Run.
NOTE: As you can see by the screenshot below, there are additional checkboxes for you to select based on your needs/criteria.
You are now on the Process Scheduler Request page. Use this page to enter, update, or view parameters, such as server name and process output format.
- Select the Server Name drop down menu and choose appropriate server name.
- In the Process List box, check the boxes for PS/GL Jrnl Edit and Error Rpt option.
- Select OK.
NOTE: You can select a Server Name to identify the server on which the process will run. If you use the same Run Control ID for subsequent processes, the server name that you last used will appear by default in this field.
The Process Scheduler Request page disappears. The updated Edit Journals Request page appears. A Process Instance number appears. This number helps you identify the process you have run when you check its status.
- Select Process Monitor link. Refer to the Process Monitor QRG for instructions.
You have successfully Edited a Journal Entry.
- Process complete.