Process Scheduler/Process Monitor
Purpose: Use this document to better understand the Process Scheduler/Process Monitor within ctcLink.
Navigation: PeopleTools > Process Scheduler > Process Monitor
- User ID: The Empl ID of the user who ran the process
- Type: The type of process that was run
- Last or Date Range: Two options are available (last or a date range)
- Server: What server the process was run on
- Name: Name of the process that was run
- Instance From:
- Instance To:
- Run Status: See table below
Note: If you use the same Run Control ID for multiple processes, allow each process to finish running before starting another set.
|Blocked||The running of this process has been blocked, which indicates that this process is waiting for one of the following: the number of active occurrences of this process to drop below Max Concurrent value, a process is recognized as mutually exclusive to complete, or a dependent file to be located.|
|Cancel||Indicates that a user has requested to cancel the scheduling of a process request.|
|Cancelled||Indicates that the server agent has successfully canceled the request after it has started.|
|Error||Indicates that the program associated with the process request encountered an error while processing transactions within the program. In this case, delivered programs are coded to update the run status to Error before terminating.|
|Hold||Indicates that a user has requested that the scheduling of a process request be put on hold.
|Initiated||Indicates that a PeopleSoft Process Scheduler Server has acknowledged the new request. At this time, PeopleSoft Process Scheduler validates the parameters that are associated with this request and submits the command line to start a process.|
|No Success||Indicates that the program encountered an error within the transaction. No Success is different from Error because the process is marked re-startable. (Application Engine is the only delivered process type that is re-startable).|
|Pending||Status assigned to an item of a new PSJob request. This indicates that this item is waiting for a previous item in the job before PeopleSoft Process Scheduler releases this item. When the previous item has completed successfully, PeopleSoft Process Scheduler changes the status of the item to Queued.|
|Processing||Indicates that PeopleSoft Process Scheduler has successfully initiated the program. A status of Processing indicates that the program is running.|
|Queued||Status assigned to a new process request. The process request remains Queued until a PeopleSoft Process Scheduler Server picks up the new request.|
|Restart||Indicates that a process, which encountered an error, is attempting to restart.|
|Success||Indicates that the program has successfully completed.|
|Warning||A warning status is available to use in a job definition. A job definition may continue or stop when a process encounters a warning. The warning status must be set using PeopleSoft Application Engine. Set the AE_APPSTATUS field to 1.|
|Distribution Status||Displays the distribution status for each individual job and process. Valid states are: N/A, None, Generated, Not Posted, Posting and Posted.|
- The Process Scheduler Request page displays.
- Use the drop-down arrows to select the Type and Format to produce desired results.
Type options include:
Format options include:
- Type options include:
- Select the OK button.
- Make note of the Process Instance number that will be available on the displayed page.
- Select Process Monitor link to display the Process Monitor page.
- From the Process List tab, select the Refresh button until Run Status reads ‘Success’ and Distribution Status reads ‘Posted'.
- On the Process List tab, select the Details hyperlink or use the drop-down arrow to select the desired Actions option.
Actions options include:
- Update Process
- Delete Request
- Message Log
- View Log/Trace
- Update Process
- Actions options include:
- Instance: This is the instance number for when this process ran
- Type: This is the type of process that ran
- Name: This is the name of the process that ran
- Description: This is the description of the process that ran
- Run Status: This is the status of how the process ran (refer to table above for run status definitions)
- Description Status: This status describes whether or not the process has posted or not
- Run Control ID: This shows the users run control that they used to run the process
- Location: Server location
- Server: Server name
- Recurrence: The recurrence name if this process is on a recurring schedule
This section tells you when the process was created, when it could start running as well as the beginning and ending time that the process ran
- Request Created On
- Run Anytime After
- Began Process At
- Ended Process At
In the Actions section there are links that lead you to more information about the process that can help inform you about what has occurred with the process
- Message Log
- Batch Timings
- View Log/Trace
- View Locks
- The actions available depend on the current status of the process:
||Delete, Cancel, Restart
The Message Log will give you messages about how the process ran. Selecting the Explain button gives more details about the message.
Batch Timings are provided to monitor your application engine programs' performance. The Process Scheduler - Batch Timings page applies to the Statement Timings data stored in the (table) option.
When you select View Log/Trace, you can view log files that provide information regarding how the process performed. For example, the Send Messages process has an output file that gives each student ID.
It is worthwhile looking at the log files. In this example, if you click and open the file AE_3CENGINE_107405061.log you would see that it indicates “Cannot open input file: /CSIN/I-091_ETransFromCTCs/Data/SD331171."
So while this process may have run successfully, it did not load a file as expected.
Navigation: Reporting Tools > Report Manager or Process Monitor page (PeopleTools > Process Scheduler > Process Monitor)
- Select the Report Manager link on the Process Monitor page.
The report may display in two different areas. See below for instructions.
- Select the hyperlinked name of the Report you wish to view. Ensure pop-ups are enabled.
- If selecting from the List tab, select the hyperlinked name of the Report in the Report column.
- If selecting from the Administration tab, select the hyperlinked name of the Report in the Description column.
- As soon as the process is run, the report will display based on the Type and Format selected.
- Enter the User ID that you want to find. (For the purpose of this example, CTC_GFULMER is used).
- Select the Refresh button.
- You will see the processes that CTC_GFULMER has run.
- Select the Process Name (you will do this for all jobsets-instead of of selecting Details).
- You will be able to view the processes that ran in the jobset.
- Select the process to view process details.