9.2 Specifying Journal Entry Search Criteria
Purpose: Use this document as a reference to specify journal entry search criteria.
Audience: Finance and Business Office Staff
Navigation: Nav Bar > Navigator > General Ledger > Journals > Journal Entry > Create/Update Journal Entries
- Select the Find an Existing Value tab.
- Enter the desired information into the Business Unit field. Enter a valid value e.g. "WA220".
- Select the Journal ID field.
- You know that your journal begins with "MK" but you do not remember the rest - Enter the desired information into the Journal ID field. Enter a valid value e.g. "MK".
- You also recall the date of the journal for which you are searching - Select the Journal Date field.
- The date of the journal was May 31, 2018 - Enter the desired information into the Journal Date field. Enter a valid value e.g. "05152018".
- Select the Search button.
- Notice when you click the Search button, the journal date converts to the proper date syntax. Select the journal MKDEC5 from the list.
- Click the MKDEC5 link.
- Select the Lines tab.
- Use the Lines page to view the journal lines.
- Enter the number of lines that you would like to display at once in the Line field. This is also the number of lines that you will move forward or backward when you click the double arrow button on either side of the Line field.
- Use the Next Group button (double down arrows) to scroll down the grid by the number of lines that you have specified in the Line field. Similarly, use the Previous Group button on the other side of the Line field to scroll up the grid by the number of lines in the Line field.
- Use the Last Row button and the First Row button (outermost single arrow on either side of the double arrows) to navigate to the last row and the first row, respectively, in the journal entry.
- Use the Search Criteria link to access the Selection Criteria page where you enter specific line information that you would like to retrieve. This is most useful when navigating through voluminous journals - Select the Search Criteria menu.
- Use the Selection Criteria page to enter specific field values that you would like to retrieve.
- Enter the selection criteria, including any wildcards. These wildcards assist you in finding the exact information that you need. Unless you enter one of the following wildcards, General Ledger assumes that you want an exact match:
- % = Match one or more characters
- * = Match one or more characters
- _ = Match any single character
- ? = Match any single character
- ! = If first character, negate the user (not equal or not like)
- ~ = Tilde—represents a blank character—this should not be used with any other characters or wildcard symbols.
- \ = Escape character—do not treat the next character as a wildcard.
- For example, you could search for a blank in the Account, Operating Unit, Department, Program, Project, or Affiliate, fields by entering a tilde (~) in the field.
- When you enter search criteria, the Journal Line Number field is the starting line number for your search. For example, if you enter "35" here and 10 in the Line field on the Lines page, the system retrieves journal lines 30 through 39 - Enter the desired information into the Journal Line Number field. Enter a valid value e.g. "35".
- Select the OK button.
- After researching lines 35 and beyond, you would like to go back to the top of the journal - Select the First Row button.
- We can do a more specific search if we know what values we want to find - Click the Search Criteria menu.
- In this example, you want to search for the lines whose Account begins with "34" and whose Department value begins with "1" - Select in the Account field - Enter the desired information into the Account field. Enter a valid value e.g. "34%".
- Select in the Department field - Enter the desired information into the Department field. Enter a valid value e.g. "1%".
- Select the OK button - The system retrieves and displays the requested journal lines.
- You can click the Next Group scroll button to view the rest of the retrieved lines or you can enter a larger number in the Line field to view all retrieved lines - Select the Next Group button.
- End of procedure.