9.2 Viewing a Journal with an Incomplete Status
Purpose: Use this document as a reference to view a journal with an incomplete status
Audience: Finance or Business Office Staff
Navigation: Nav Bar > Navigator > General Ledger > Journals > Journal Entry > Create/Update Journal Entries
- Use the Add a New Value tab of the Create/Update Journal Entries search page to add a new journal entry.
- The Business Unit field is automatically populated with the default business unit that you designate on the User Preferences - Overall Preferences page. You can enter the business unit to which you want to post a journal entry.
- Select in the Journal ID field.
- Enter the desired information into the Journal ID field. Enter a valid value e.g. "INC".
- Select the Add button.
- The Header page displays journal header information that uniquely identifies a journal, such as business unit, journal ID, and journal date. This page also contains options for setting, adjusting, and reversing entries and foreign currencies.
- Enter the desired information into the Long Description field. Enter a valid value e.g. "Long journal that I cannot finish today".
- Use the Ledger Group field to enter the ledger group to which you want to post the journal.
- Use the Source field to select a journal source that best represents how the journal determines various options for entering and editing journals - This example is an online journal entry, so you could enter ONL - Select in the Source field.
- Enter the desired information into the Source: Required field - Enter a valid value e.g. "ONL".
- The Save Journal Incomplete Status check box option enables you to enter incomplete journal transactions and save them with a status of T - Journal Entry Incomplete - If you use the batch edit, posting, or budget checking process, the journal is bypassed until you complete your entries and clear this option.
- Use the Save Journal Incomplete Status option to finalize the journal at a later time.
- Select the Save Journal Incomplete Status check box option.
- Select the Lines tab.
- Use the Lines page to record the transaction lines that comprise a journal.
- The Unit field derives the default value from the business unit that is specified for the Header page.
- The Ledger field displays the name of the ledger that is specified in the Header page. In the example, there is only one ledger within the RECORDING ledger group, so you did not have to specify the ledger on the Header page.
- In this example, record a debit in the advertising account number, 1030020 - Select in the Account field.
- Enter the desired information into the Account field. Enter a valid value e.g. "1030020".
- Select in the Amount field.
- Enter the desired information into the Amount field. Enter a valid value e.g. "20000".
- Select the Save button.
- A message box appears informing that the journal cannot be posted because its status is not complete. This is because you selected the Save Journal Incomplete Status option on the Header page. You now need to change the status of the journal to complete - Click the OK button.
- Notice that the Journal Status is saved with a T, the code for incomplete.
- You have seen that you can enter a journal and save it as incomplete if you do not have all the required information or cannot complete the entry for any reason. You can finish entering the journal at a later time.
- When you are ready to complete your journal, you can search for it, and any other incomplete journals, from the Create/Update Journal Entries search page - Select the Create/Update Journal Entries menu.
- Select the Find an Existing Value tab.
- Select the Clear button.
- Select in the Business Unit field - Enter the desired information into the Business Unit field. Enter a valid value
- Select the Journal Header Status list.
- When searching for journals, if several journals meet your search criteria, you are presented with a list from which to select. If there is only one journal that meets your criteria, upon selecting Search, you are directed to the Header page of that journal - Select the Search button.
- If you decide to edit or post the journal on the Lines page, it is not necessary to deselect the Save Journal Incomplete Status field. This field is considered only when performing edits via a batch process.
- End of procedure.