9.2 Approving or Denying an Absence Request
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to approve, deny, or push back absence requests in ctcLink HR.
Audience: Managers with the ability to approve time and absences.
Approve/Deny/Push Back an Absence Request
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Manager Self Service > Time Management > Approve Time and Exceptions > Absence Requests
- The Absence Requests page displays.
- All absence request submissions from all your direct reports will be found here.
- From the Show Requests by Status drop-down menu, select the applicable status:
- Pending Absence: requests not yet acted on.
- Approved Absence: requests from the past approved by the supervisor.
- Denied: Absence requests from the past denied by the supervisor.
- Select the Refresh button.
- If there are multiple employees listed, select the employee name to examine that specific absence request.
- Examine the Absence Details page:
- This page will show you the dates of the absence, the number of hours of leave it represents, and the current employee balance on the right hand side associated with that leave type.
- If the current balance is 0 then the employee is requesting leave without pay, and at this time the manager should probably confirm with the employee that that was their intention.
- The Forecast Balance button, if present, is not configured for all colleges at this time and should not be used.
- Review Requester Comments, if present. At this time if the manager would like to add a comment they may do so in Approver Comments, but it is not a required field unless specified by the college.
- At this time the Approver may choose one of three actions:
- Approve: this ensures the absence request moves forward for processing prior to the next payroll.
- Deny: this means the absence request cannot move forward for processing and the employee is not authorized for that absence.
- Pushback: this means the absence needs to be edited in some manner by the employee before the manager can approve it, if this is chosen the employee will need to perform edits and then submit the absence again to the manager for approval.
- Once a manager has Approved or Denied an absence request, any further alterations to the request will need to be performed by a leave administrator in HR.
- The process to approve or deny an absence request is now complete.
- End of procedure.