9.2 Process Running Start (NEW)
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for calculating Running Start tuition and fees through ctcLink. Visit the SBCTC Running Start Coding Guidelines web page.
Audience: Running Start Staff, Student Financials Staff, and others working with waivers.
Process Running Start
Student Running Start
Students must be Term Activated before they will appear in the Student Running Start search results.
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Student Financials > Tuition and Fees > CTC Custom > Student Running Start
- The Student Running Start search page displays.
- Enter the Student ID.
- Enter the Academic Institution.
- Select the Term to update.
- Select the Search button.
If using the Search Criteria to review a population or to "find" a student, be sure to enter as many parameters as possible. Try to include the following criteria: Term, Academic Career, and Active fields.
Not entering enough Criteria may result in a long search time.
- The Student Running Start tab displays.
- Notice the students bio/demo information provided, like the High School Code and Grade Level.
- The FTE Units and Maximum Units:
- These two fields are joined; to make an adjustment, adjust the Maximum Units field and tab out.
- Select the Save button to continue.
Depending on how individual institutions process Running Start students, this step may include the student taking their Running Start materials to the Enrollment office for processing prior to the Billing Units being completed.
- Select the Update/View Student Groups link found in Student Running Start Information box.
- The Student Groups page displays.
- Verify appropriate Academic Institution is listed and also enter Effective Date (for this purpose, it is the date you want the student group to be active - commonly the day on or before the start of the new term).
It may be necessary to add a row in the Academic Institution Details area so that a new Student Group can be added.
After selecting to view the Student Group, you will receive a prompt asking "Do you need to update historic rows?" Select the Yes button in order to update within the Student Groups page.
- When changing the group, inactivate the prior group and enter the new group using appropriate effective dates.
- SRSR = Traditional Running Start students
- SRSL = Students meeting fee waiver requirements (free/reduced lunch eligible)
- Select the Apply button to save.
- Once you have completed updating/viewing the student groups, select the OK button to be returned to the Running Start page. The Cancel button will also return you to the Running Start page.
- Select the Billing Units tab.
R.S. Billing Units will be reflected on this tab only after enrollment has occurred.
- The Billing Units tab displays.
- Staff can review/validate students tuition and fees through View Student Account on RS Billing Units tab.
- The Customer Accounts page displays. It gives up to date account information.
- Choose the Account Details link for specific Term you desire to view.
- From the Accounts Details page, return to the Student Running Start page by selecting the Go to Running Start button in top right corner.
- Select the Billing Units tab.
Please ensure you are in compliance with State Board guidelines before doing any override.
- Self Pay = classes/units are ineligible to be paid for any reason
- School Pay = classes/units the college is billing the high school
- Staff have the ability to override Self Pay and School Pay units in cases where the student's billing units should be waived or charged differently than the standard rules.
- Adjust the Self Pay and School Pay units by first checking the Override box on the course row requiring the change.
- The Self Pay field will be opened for adjustment, enter the new amount or
- Uncheck the Eligible box if this class as a whole is not RS and it will then be 100% self pay (leave checked if the class is to be partially charged).
- Select the Student Running Start tab.
- On the Student Running Start, select Save.
- Be sure to select the Save button if needing any changes from adjusting the units and needing that reflected in the Customer Account. The Customer Account will be updated via the nightly RS Adjust Student Billing units process (RS Tuition Calculation) if you do not select the Save button.
Purpose: Instruction for pulling Running Start data out of ctcLink. Filter, format, and use this data for your institutions Running Start billing/invoicing process.
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Reporting Tools > Query > Query Viewer or Schedule Query
- The Query Viewer search page displays.
- Enter QCS_SR_RSBILLING.
- Select the preferred data view of HTML, Excel, or XML.
- The QCS_SR_RSBILLING query displays.
- Enter the Institution (College Code).
- Enter the Term.
- Select the View Results button.
- The results display.
- Download results to spreadsheet and filter, format, sort, and produce an appropriate invoice.
Interested in learning more about the remaining Running Start invoice process?
Check out the QRG 9.2 Running Start Billing & Payment Process in Finance
Before copying HS Data over to a new quarter, the SF Term Roll process must be completed prior to beginning this process.
Copy Student HS Data
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Student Financials > Tuition and Fees > CTC Custom > Copy Student HS Data
- The Copy Student HS Data run control ID search page displays.
- Select the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter Run Control ID.
- Select Add.
- The Copy Student High School Data page displays.
- Enter the Institution (school ID).
- Enter the Career or select a Career from the looking glass.
- Enter the From Term or select a From Term from the looking glass.
- Enter the To Term or select a To Term from the looking glass.
- Select the Run button.
- The Process Scheduler Request page displays.
- Confirm the box is selected next to Copy Student HS Data.
- Select the OK button.
- The Process Monitor page displays.
- Select the Refresh button and confirm that the Run Status indicates Success and the Distribution Status is Posted.
- Process complete.