Using Collections Workbench
Purpose: To demonstrate the various functions of the AR Collections Workbench using ctcLink.
Audience: Accounts Receivable staff
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ AR Collections
You must also set these User Preference Definitions:
If you need assistance with the above security roles or User Preference Definitions, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
The ctcLink Receivables Collections Workbench is a central workspace that presents a complete view of each customer. Collectors can perform their day-to-day activities, including accessing and completing action items directly from the Collections Workbench.
Prior to contacting a customer or completing an action, the collector can use the Collection Workbench to review a customer's history, such as:
- the average days it takes a customer to pay,
- the number of days any sales are outstanding (DSO),
- any past due balances,
- and any previous broken promises.
With this information at hand, the collector can contact the customer and hopefully, work out a plan for payment and indicate on the Collections Workbench that the customer will pay by direct debit, credit card, or a check.
If the customer does not make a commitment to pay, the collector can use the Collections Workbench to place the customer on credit hold and add an action to follow up in a specified number of days.
If the customer agrees to pay within a certain number of days and does not pay, the collector can use the Collections Workbench to send a dunning letter. The collector can continue to follow up with this customer, and, after reviewing several broken promises, can use the Collections Workbench to mark the customer in collections and refer the customer to a collection agency.
Using the Collections Workbench
Navigation: Accounts Receivable > Collections Workbench
- The Collections Workbench page displays. Use it to closely track and manage customer data--from the day the customer receives a statement until it is paid or referred to a collection agency. This page provides the collector with all of the information and metrics needed to perform these tasks.
- Enter Business Unit.
- Lookup or select the Customer field and enter the desired information.
- The default Level is "No Relationship", which displays only data for the selected customer or customers, and no multilevel hierarchy will be applied to any of the Collection Workbench tabs.
- In the Collections Workbench header, optional to search by values for Grant contracts only, or by both customers and contracts. However, if you search data by contract, you must include a value in at least one of these fields:
- Billing Specialist,
- Billing Authority, or
- Reference Award Number.
- Select Search.
- The system populates the Action List and Customer Details sections and the Collections Workbench tabs with data for the selected search criteria.
- Use the Personalize Content link to access the Personalize Content page, where you can personalize the tabs and sections you see on the Collections Workbench. For example, you may want to hide the Action List section if you don't want to use it, or you may want to change the tab labels and tab order of appearance.
- Select the Expand section button.
Use the Action List section to view any action items associated with the user ID and the selected customer. If you do not specify a customer ID and you select the Search button in the header of the Collections Workbench, the system displays all action items that are assigned to this user and have an action status of New.
- You can select the Reassign Action link to reassign an action to another owner.
- You can select an action filter from a list of one or more action filters that you previously set up using the Add Filter link.
- When you select an action filter, a list of actions appear in the Action List section based on the criteria you selected and saved on the Filter Action List page.
- Select the Collapse section button.
- Use the Customer Details section to review details about the selected customer. You can determine the information that you want to see in this section as well as the format on the Personalize Content page.
- The Risk Score field displays the risk score value that is calculated based on setting up risk scoring rules and running the Request Risk Scoring process (AR_RISK). You must run this process to see the most current risk score for this customer.
- Select the Risk score link if applicable.
- Use the Risk Score Details page to view the elements that were used in computing the current risk score. Risk scores are calculated based on rules that your organization set up during implementation.
- Select the Cancel button if applicable.
- You should now be on the Customer Detail section again.
The Credit Profile tab describes the current and past circumstances of the selected customer's credit. You can see everything that you need concerning this customer's credit including the credit limit, risk score, and D&B rating.
Any open, kept, or broken promises that apply to the selected customer are listed, based on the promise tracking capabilities in each conversation that is created for this customer. This information enables you to quickly determine whether this customer is reliable in keeping their promises to remedy any payment problems.
- From the Credit Profile tab, select the Customer Messages link.
- Use the Customer Messages window to view messages that have been created for this customer by selecting '0120 - Messages' in the General Info Links list on the customer's General Info page. You can also add new messages for this customer directly from this page by adding information and selecting the Apply button.
- Select the OK button to save the message or the Cancel button to return.
To view previous messages, select the notification icon next to the Customer Number for quick access to the Customer Message window.
- You can search for a specific History ID or select Most Recent from the History list to display the most recent customer history, or select All to see all of this customer's payment history, in the Customer History grid. Under the Breakdown Balances section, choose the Most Recent list item.
- Select the Search button.
- The Customer History grid now shows only the most recent periods.
The Payments tab displays the outstanding and complete payment information and the payment performance for a customer.
Because you selected a SetID, customer, and business unit in the Collections Workbench header, the system displays the information for that specific business unit.
When you leave the business unit blank, the system displays the totals for all business units that apply to the selected customer.
- Select the Payments tab. Filter payments by selecting the box to view:
- Payments in Process.
- Unapplied Payments.
- Direct Debits.
- Select the Search button to refresh results.
- Optional to update the From Date and To Date fields to narrow results by date range.
The Items tab enables you to display an item list associated with the selected customer based on the item status. You can also set up one or more filters to narrow your search for items.
Use the Item List to view a breakdown of the total balance due based on each item. The Item List is identical the Item List component (Accounts Receivable, Customer Accounts, Item Information, Item List).
Depending on the Level value for the customer that you selected in the header (Corporate, Correspondence, No Relationship, or Remit From), if a customer hierarchy is associated with this customer, then the items purchased by the customer and all other customers defined at the same level or at a lower level in the hierarchy will appear in the Item List.
After you select items in the Item List grid for the customer, you can choose an item action, such as creating a maintenance worksheet, paying for an item by credit card, or generating a dunning letter.
When you select an Item Action, the system transfers you to the appropriate page to perform the action, such as the Maintenance Worksheet, and lists the items on that page.
- Select the Items tab.
- Select the Item List Detail 1 through Detail 8 tabs to view additional information.
- To offset items using a Maintenance Worksheet, such as an Invoices Bill and Credit Bill:
- From the Item List section, select both invoices.
- From the Item Action section, use the drop down menu arrow to select Create a Maintenance Worksheet. For more information on offsetting items, please refer to QRG Managing Accounts Using a Maintenance Worksheet.
The Conversations tab enables you to display a conversation's details related to the selected customer. You can filter and add conversations, update contacts, and review the status of any promises made by this customer.
- Select the Conversations tab.
- Use the Filter Conversations page to search for specific conversations by creating a filter of selected attributes.
- You can add a conversation directly from the Collections Workbench here or by selecting the Add Conversation link in the header region. For more information how to create a conversation, please refer to QRG Creating a Conversation.
- Select the OK button to save entry or Cancel button to return to Collections Workbench.
- Update Contracts link: use the Maintain Contacts page to modify information about the selected contact. You can also access the customer information for this contact, the contact's phone and type, the contact's user profile, and any staffing information regarding this contact, if applicable. You can compose and send an email to this contact by selecting the Email button (envelope).
- Promises Inquiry link: Use the Promise Date Inquiry page to search for any promises made by this customer based on selecting all or some of the search criteria on this page. You must select one of the Display Options radio buttons for displaying the search results in the Promises grid. Use the Promise Date Inquiry page to search for any promises made by this customer based on selecting all or some of the search criteria on this page. You must select one of the Display Options radio buttons for displaying the search results in the Promises grid.
- Conversations Report link: To run a report within ctcLink.
The Correspondence tab enables you to search for and access statement and dunning letter details for the selected customer. You can drill down to details, view an online image of a statement, and send a statement by email from this page.
In the Statement History group box, you can use the Statement Number field to search for and display a specific statement, and the Statement Date field to search for and display any statements created on the selected date.
- Select the Correspondence tab.
- In the Statement History section:
- Optional to select the More Info icon button to drill down if applicable.
- Use the Review Statements page to view the details of the selected statement for this customer. Select the Cancel button if applicable to return to the Collections Workbench page. Optional to search for statements in ctcLink. A Statement Image button appears in the Statements grid if a statement is available. Upon selecting the button, an image of the actual statement appears in a new window. Select the Email button if applicable. Use the Send Statement page to send the statement as an attachment by email through the Collections Workbench.
- In the Dunning History section:
- Use the Dunning Number field to search for and display a specific dunning number in the grid, and the Dunning Date field to search for and display any dunning numbers created on the selected date. Select the More Info icon button if applicable.
- Use the Dunning Letters page to review the details concerning the items that are associated with the selected dunning letter.
- Select the Letter Content tab if applicable. Use the Letter Content page to review the actual content of the selected dunning letter.
- Optional to utilize the Dunning Actions menu drop down to perform actions and elect the Go button:
- Extract Dunning Letter Info.
- Preview Letter.
- Delete Item on Letter.
- Print Letter.
The email address of the primary contact of the customer appears by default in the To field. Your email address appears by default in the BCC (blind copy) field. You can change information in the Email fields depending on business processes and record keeping.
Use the Aging tab to view current and past due balances, high balance and high past due balances, and the balance and past due balance dates for the selected customer.
The current Aged Date appears and will be updated when you select the Update Aging button, along with the aging amounts in the Customer Aging grid.
- Select the Aging tab.
- Optional to select the Past Due link to drill into the details. Select the Update Aging button to refresh information.
Use the Customer Hierarchy to view the multilevel customer hierarchy that is based on values that you select on the customer's General Info page.
The Level value that you selected in the header of the Collections Workbench page determines whether a customer hierarchy will display on the Customer Hierarchy tab. If you selected a customer that is not part of a customer hierarchy, or if you selected the No Relationship value, then nothing will appear here.
The level that you select in the header also accumulates the item and past due balances for each level of customer in the selected customer hierarchy and displays them on the Customer Hierarchy tab along with each customer's credit limit. You can select the customer's name to access the customer's General Info page.
- Select the Customer Hierarchy tab. Select the Expand button arrow if applicable.
- When you select a customer's Item Balance or Past Due link, the Collections Workbench displays the Items tab, where you can review the balance details.
- When you select the Credit Limit amount link, the Customer Credit page displays details concerning the selected customer's credit.
- Select the Credit Limit amount link if applicable.
- Use the Customer Credit page to review details of the customer's credit information.
- Select the Cancel button to return to the Collections Workbench.
Use the Contracts tab to view balance and past due amounts by Grant Customer Contract IDs or by Contract Line.
- Select the Contracts tab. The Display Contracts Data By defaults to 'Contract' or optional to select the drop down to Contract Line.
- Optional to select the Filter Contracts link to refine search criteria. Depending upon the initial input (SetID, Business Unit, Customer ID), the filters will autofill criteria. Use the additional filter options to add more criteria to select specific contract data. Select Search.
- Depending upon the initial input (SetID, Business Unit, Customer ID), the filters will autofill criteria. Use the additional filter options to add more criteria to select specific contract data.
- Select Search.
Optional to select the Grid Action Menu icon to adjust your Column Order. The Grid Customization window opens. Select the item, for example 'Project Business Unit, ID, Activity item' and use the middle buttons arrows to the item Move Up/Down. Optional to select the Hidden box to hide unused columns or select Frozen to 'freeze' a column in place. Select OK.
- You can select the Contract link for a specific contract to access the Contracts Workbench, which displays contract details including contract amounts, contract lines, related projects, and contract milestones.
- When you select a contract's Balance or Past Due link, the Collections Workbench displays the Items tab, where you can review the balance or past due details.
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. This video includes audio and closed captioning. Select the play button to start the video.
Video Tutorial Via Panopto
View the external link to Intermediate AR WorkCenter and Collections Workbench training session. This link will open in a new tab/window.