Set Up and Test Fire Account with the IRS
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to send test 1098-T transmittal files to the IRS in ctcLink.
Audience: Student Financials
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ SF Taxes 1098T
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Navigation: Student Financials > Taxes > Tax Reports > 1098-T Form Print
- The 1098-T Form Print search page displays.
- If you have run this process or report in the past, select the Find an Existing Value tab to enter an existing Run Control ID and select the Search button. If this is the first time running this process or report, select the Add a New Value tab to create a new Run Control ID and select the Add button.
- NOTE: It is important to note that Run Control IDs cannot be deleted. Do not include spaces in your Run Control. We encourage the Run Control ID to have the same process naming convention but unique to the step; because of this, including your institution code and a short process description in the Run Control ID is recommended--e.g., WA220_ADM_FYR_5 (Admissions Letter, Summer, FYR Admit Type).
- The 1098-T Print page displays.
- In the Run Parameters section, select or enter the:
- Transmitter's TIN.
- Calendar Year.
- Select 'Original' If this is the first TEST run of the year.
- Enter Primary Sort.
- Enter Secondary Sort.
- Select the Test File checkbox to cause a test file to be generated to send to the IRS.
- In the TIN Control Information section, search or enter the:
- Calendar Year.
- Note: When corrections to individual students are necessary, check the Student Override checkbox, then enter student IDs.
- Select the Run button.
- Please refer to the Process Schedule Request steps for further instructions.
- In the Process List within the Process Monitor, select the Actions drop-down arrow.
- Select the View Log/Trace link and the View Log/Trace page displays.
- The transmittal file is titled "IRSTAX.001".
- Right click on the "IRSTAX.001" file, then choose Save Link As or Save Target As and save to your desktop or other file location.
- Rename the file. Ensure that the renamed file is kept as a text document (.TXT file extension). The file may need to be opened by MicroSoft Notepad to view its contents.
- Log in to the IRS FIRE system by selecting the following link and proceed with specified directions to upload the file.
- Process complete.
The file I transmitted to the IRS is BAD, what do I do?
If you need to resubmit your file and have a good file to send and is not released - first call the IRS and have them change the already loaded/released file to bad (can take up to 48 hours.) Once the file is noted as bad, you can resubmit the new file as replacement.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.
View the external link to Set Up and Test Fire Account with the IRS. This link will open in a new tab/window.