Budget Transfers in Commitment Control
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for transferring Finance budgets in Commitment Control.
Audience: Finance staff
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZD CC Budget Inquiry
- ZZ CC Budget Entry
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
You can transfer amounts only between budgets within a single Commitment Control Ledger Group and Business Unit combination.
Creating a Budget Transfer in Commitment Control
Navigation: Commitment Control > Budget Journal > Enter Budget Transfer
- The Enter Budget Transfer search page displays.
- If you have run this process or report in the past, select the Find an Existing Value tab to enter an existing Run Control ID and select the Search button. If this is the first time running this process or report, select the Add a New Value tab to create a new Run Control ID and select the Add button.
- NOTE: It is important to note that Run Control IDs cannot be deleted. Do not include spaces in your Run Control. We encourage the Run Control ID to have the same process naming convention but unique to the step; because of this, including your institution code and a short process description in the Run Control ID is recommended--e.g., WA140_BUDGET_TRANSFER (Business Unit, Process).
- The Enter Budget Transfer page displays.
- On the Budget Header tab page, enter the following field values:
- In the Ledger Group field, enter or lookup CC_ORG. This is the non-project ledger where budgets are posted. Note: enter Project budgets through the Grants/Contract/Project module. For more info on Grants/Contracts, please see QRG Commitment Control Summary for Grants/Contracts/Projects.
- In the Budget Entry Type drop-down list, select Transfer Original for base budget amounts and Transfer Adjustment for additional budget amounts.
- Check the Generate Parent Budget box, unless the box is already grayed out. The grayed out box indicates that your user preference was modified to check this box for you. NOTE: The Parent Budget Entry Type should be the same as Budget Entry Type.
- Enter the effective date of the budget in the Cur Effdt field.
- In the Long Description field, enter a detailed description of the budget transfer.
- Select the Attachments (0) link to add supporting document(s) to the budget journal. When selected, the Budget Journal Attachments window opens. By selecting the checkbox 'Show Approver?' it enables approvers to view attachment(s).
- Enter either PERMANENT, TEMPORARY or EARMARK in the Alternate Description field. This field is required for reporting purposes and will allow the budget entries to report in a query format using QFS_KK_BUDGET_EXPENSE_BALANCE. Budget Journals should be entered separately by the type of budget described in the Alternate Description.
- PERMANENT = The budget for the year.
- TEMPORARY = Adjustments (positive or negative) that are not intended to be carried over to the next year.
- EARMARK = Special budget for a specific directive/spending, such as disability services or apprenticeship services.
- Select the Budget Lines tab.
- In the Lines section, enter or select the following valid field values and use the scroll bar to scroll to access all fields:
- The Budget Period. Note: the Budget Period must include the Cur Effdt located on the Budget Header.
- The Account. Budgeting at the Roll-up or Account level is dependent on each Business unit's budgeting procedure.
- The Operating Unit.
- The Fund.
- The Department.
- The Class.
- Enter the Amount.
- Optional to enter additional field values to complete your valid ChartString; i.e. Approp and/or Program.
Note: Budget Transfers do not directly update the ledger balances table. Instead, the posting process updates the ledger table, LEDGER_KK, and retains the journal enter as an audit item. In this way, you generate an audit trail to record the original budget (Base) and subsequent changes (Additions).
- In the 'Lines to add' box, enter the number of lines needed and select the plus icon (+) button to add lines.
- Adjust the chartfield values as needed. Note: Journal lines must balance. You must have a line for Credit and another for Debit.
- Select the Save button.
- The Journal ID number will be generated.
- If the Budget Journal Approval is setup for your College, then you will see the Approval Header Status is “Not Submitted”. For additional information, scroll to the bottom of page to view optional steps.
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.
Video Tutorial Via Panopto
View the external link to Budget Transfers in Commitment Control. This link will open in a new tab/window.
Additional Steps for: Budget Pre-check and Submit for Approval, Post Budget Journal, and Errors
Use the Process drop down box to select Budget Pre-check and then select Process. This pre-check action runs the combo edit runs, i.e. fundamental field is missing or invalid. The following example checks for a missing Class field.
For more information please see QRG Common Budget Exceptions and Corrective Actions.
- If a posting error occurs, the notification will appear in the Status field on the Header, Lines and Errors tabs.
- Selecting the Error link(s) or error'x' icon/Go to Header link(s) in on either the Budget Lines or Budget Errors tabs to navigate to view the Budget Journal Exceptions page.
- The Budget Journal Exceptions page will provide the detailed reason(s) for the error.
- Process complete.