Modifying Project Budgets
Purpose: Use this document to modify Program Project budgets in ctcLink.
Audience: Finance/Grant Fiscal Staff.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ Project Cost Entry-Maint
- ZZ Project Costing Processing
You must also set these User Preference Definitions:
If you need assistance with the above security roles or User Preference Definitions, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
NOTE: This is for a Project that is NOT attached to a Grant. At times, after a Project is awarded, a budget modification is needed.
The budget modification needs to be completed within the Project Costing Module as to keep the Project and Commitment Control in synch.
Therefore it is NOT suggested to modify the budget within the Commitment Control Module.
Navigation: Project Costing > Budgeting > Budget Detail
- The Budget Detail search page displays. Enter Business Unit.
- Enter or lookup the Project.
- Select the Search button.
- The Budget Detail page displays. Select the Budget Items icon.
- The Project Budget Items window displays.
- Select Spread Option = "Adjust by Amount".
- Add an additional line(s) by selecting the Add a New Row [+] icon(s).
- Enter or lookup the new Project Budget Item.
- Enter the new Budget Adjustment amount.
- Select the General Ledger Detail tab.
- The General Ledger Detail tab displays. Notice the 'GL Business Unit' and the 'Account' auto populates from entering the Project Budget Item.
- Enter the appropriate Accounting Distribution or ChartString; i.e. the Operating Unit, Fund Code, Department, Class and Appropriation.
- Select the Distribute Budget button.
- A message displays 'New Budget Adjustment of [insert amount here] does not match the original Budget Adjustment of 0.'. Select the Yes button.
- The message window disappears. Notice the Undistributed Adjustment amount. Select the OK button to return the main Budget Detail page.
- The Budget Detail page displays. Notice that the Budget is still not eligible for finalization (yellow caution triangle).
- Select the Even Spread button. You will now notice the Budget is eligible for Finalization (green check mark!).
- Select the Save button.
- Select the Budget Plan hyperlink to return to Budget Plan.
- The Budget Plan page displays.
- Select the Finalize tab.
- Select the Finalize icon. A message window displays 'Budget Plan Finalization has been processed.' Select the OK button. Select the Process Monitor link to view the status. The process is finished when the Run Status = "Success". For more information, please refer to the Process Schedule Request steps for further instructions.
- A successful budget adjustment will reflect the changes where the Total Distributed Budget = Finalized Amount.
Navigate to view Project Budget Items to verify valid Chartfields (no editable boxes) and Undistributed Adjustment is zero.
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.
View the external link to Modifying Project Budgets. This link will open in a new tab/window.