Deferring a Reimbursable Grant Line
Purpose: This is the process to defer a billable line on a Reimbursable Contracts/Grants using ctcLink.
Audience: Finance/Grant Fiscal Staff.
Billable lines are created from actual expenses that occur in the Grant. Deferring a line might be necessary if there is a need to bill the line at a later date. Remember that Fixed Priced contracts have no billable lines, therefore this process is not needed.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ Billing Entry
- ZZ Grant Processing
You must also set these User Preference Definitions:
If you need assistance with the above security roles or User Preference Definitions, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Defer a Reimbursable Grant Line
Complete the following steps FIRST
- Run the Contracts to Billing Interface.
- Execute Billing Interface Process. For instructions on Billing, please refer to QRG Reimbursable Grant/Contract Billing.
Review Billing Worksheet
Navigation: Billing > Manage Billing Worksheet > Update Billing Worksheet
The purpose of the Billing Worksheet is to allow a user to verify some of the information that would appear on an invoice before an invoice is generated. At this stage, the invoice is a temporary invoice and will have a prefix of TMP. In addition to this page CtcLink provides functionality that allows you to produce a Pro Forma invoice before approving the billing worksheet. This process allows you to produce an invoice for those individuals who may not have access to the billing worksheet or the ability to run billing processes. The pro-forma invoice shows how the real invoice will look and shows the demographic data that will appear on invoice.
The user can then return to the Billing Worksheet(s) on this page and either approve or delete each worksheet and save the page. After the page is saved, all Billing Worksheets that had an action value of 'Approve Now' or 'Delete Now' disappear from the page. The only line modifications that can occur on this page is if you need to Defer a line. If the user needs to modify more than deferring a line, then the invoice should be deleted and the billing process should be run from the beginning again to capture whatever changes occur within the CtcLink source systems once the changes are completed.
If the invoice is Approved and has changes that need to be made after the approval, the only way to fix this is to do a credit and rebill process. Please refer to QRG Grants Credit and Rebill. There are very limited changes that can be made in a Grant Credit and Rebill after the TMP Worksheet has been approved. Therefore, it is very important to catch and correct errors prior to Approving a TMP Worksheet.
- The Worksheet Headers tab displays.
- Select the Search button to view all available TMP Worksheets.
- Optional to select Header Info 1 icon to review:
- Header Information - verify customer.
- Pro Forma or draft invoice.
- Add a Header Note or Line Note.
Note: Optional to use the Set Filters Options hyperlink and filter by search values to locate a specific TEMP Invoice. Make sure your correct Business Unit is selected. Using the Set Filter Options page, the user can search for a specific Billing Worksheet or a group of worksheets to be reviewed. This is a one-time setup step. The other fields can be used (i.e. Contract #) in the future on the ad hoc basis to filter the worksheets displayed.
- Select Return to Manage Billing Worksheet to return the worksheet page.
- Select the Billing Worksheet TMP-00000XXXXX link (or select the Contract ID checkbox and select the Line Details tab).
- The Line Level Detail displays.
- To defer Billable line(s), on the Billing Option drop-down menu select 'Defer'. The Analysis Type changes from BIL to DEF.
- **Select a 'Defer Date' select the calendar icon to select a date for the Defer line.
- Select the Save button to save changes.
**DEF Lines & Defer Dates: The date that you select is the date that the line will become available to bill, DEF Lines will not turn back into BIL lines, however DEF lines will be eligible to billed when the Deferral Date is reached. DEF lines retain the original accounting and traction dates that the BIL lines had, so be sure to use dates far enough back on future billings to be able to pick up those DEF lines when you are ready to bill them.
Billable lines will be viewable in 'chunks' of 20 lines. Toggle between View All or View 4 link or use the arrows to see additional lines. Optional to use the Grid Menu Action icon to export data to an Excel Spreadsheet or personalize columns.
- The Worksheet Headers tab displays. Select the Header - Info 1 link.
- The Header - Info 1 displays. Select the Pro Forma icon to review the pdf of the updated Invoice and Amount Due.
- Close out the page to return to Worksheet Headers page.
The line(s) that are Deferred in the Temporary (Pro Forma invoice) have a line number of 0, but when you Approve and Finalize the worksheet it will remove the lines from the invoice. The Pro Forma does reflect the deferred amount in the Total Amount Due.
- The Worksheet Headers page displays. Select the Search button to repopulate the page.
- Select the check box corresponding to the appropriate contract and select the 'Approve Now' button. NOTE: Only approve the worksheet only if you are sure that it is correct otherwise select the 'Delete Now' button and start the process over again.
- The page automatically saves and your TMP invoice disappears.
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. This video includes audio and closed captioning. Select the play button to start the video.
Video Tutorial Via Panopto
View the external link to Deferring a Reimbursable Grant Line. This link will open in a new tab/window.