9.2 Modifying the Journal Entry Template
Purpose: Use this document as a reference to modify the journal entry template.
Audience: Finance or Business Office Staff.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- <there are no college-assignable roles>
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Set Up Financials/Supply Chain > Common Definitions > Journals > Entry Template
- Select the Template Type list - Journal Entry Templates can be defined for All Users, Primary Permisson Lists, or User IDs.
- Select a Template Type - Select the All list item.
- Select the Search button.
- Use the Journal Entry Template page to specify which columns appear on the journal entry Lines page.
- The Template ID field stores the different journal entry templates from which you can select to use when entering your journal entries.
- The fields that are selected on the Journal Entry Template - Show Journal Line Grid Columns region will appear on the journal entry Lines page.
- Use the Default column to designate the Template ID whose format will be used when you first access your journal entry Lines page.
- Select the SHORTCOM Template ID to be the default template for the All Users Template Type - Select the Default option.
- Only one template can be designated as the default template. Deselect the STANDARD template ID so that the SHORTCOM template is the only default template that is designated - Select the Default option.
- Tailor the template IDs to include the fields that you want to display on the journal entry Lines page. For the SHORTCOM template, which we designated as the default, we want to include the minimum number of fields that we most commonly use in journals. Deselect the Alt Acct field so that it does not appear for the default template, SHORTCOM - Select the Alt Acct option.
- Use the scrollbar to scroll over to display the other options.
- Deselect the Book Code option for the default template, SHORTCOM, so that the Book Code field does not display in your default journal - Select the Book Code option.
- Deselect the Budget Period option for the default template, SHORTCOM, so that the Budget Period field does not display in your default journals - Select the Budget Period option.
- Deselect the Scenario option for the default template, SHORTCOM, so that the Scenario field does not display in your default journal - Select the Scenario option.
- Select the Amount tab.
- Select the UOM option to display the Unit of Measure field on the journal entry Lines page. This enables you to enter a UOM along with a statistical amount that you enter on the Lines page. Select the UOM option for the STANDARD template ID - Select the UOM option.
- Select the Miscellaneous tab.
- The Miscellaneous tab includes various other fields that you can display on the journal entry Lines page to enter data such as budget date, value added tax, open item key, budget reference, and journal line description.
- The Open Item Key option is required only in the case of open item transactions, such as deposit accounts or employee draw accounts - Select the Open Item Key check box for our SHORTCOM default template - Select the Open Item Key option.
- The bottom half of the Journal Entry Template page is the Journal Line Copy Down section. This section allows you to designate the fields whose values you want to retain for the next line that you add in your journal entry - For example, in the SHORTCOM template, the Unit, Ledger and Account fields are designated to have their values copied down to the new line when you add the next line on your journal entry.
- Select the Save button.
- End of procedure.