9.2 Creating a Reimbursable Proposal
Purpose: Use this document to create a reimbursable grant proposal in ctcLink.
Audience: Finance/Grant Fiscal Staff.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ Proposal Processing
You must also set these User Preference Definitions:
If you need assistance with the above security roles or User Preference Definitions, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
A proposal in the Grants module consists of the required demographic information and the proposal budget.
Grant Managers will use the proposal header and associated pages to capture the basic information about the proposal.
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Grants > Proposals > Maintain Proposal
- On the Maintain Proposal search page, select the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter or look up the Business Unit.
- Select Add. The Maintain Proposal page will display.
- On the Proposal tab, enter valid values.
- Use the Description field to enter a brief version name. If you leave this field blank, the entry in the Title field appears by default. The system uses this title in the award generation process to name the award. The name of the generated post-award project comes from the proposal project short title. Enter the desired information into the Description field.
- Enter the desired information into the Title field.
- Use the PI ID field to enter the principal investigator's ID. Enter the desired information into the PI ID field.
- Use the Sponsor ID field to enter the ID of the organization that is sponsoring the research. Enter the desired information into the Sponsor ID field.
- Use the Purpose field to enter a proposal purpose from a list of entries that are defined by your institution. Enter the desired information into the Purpose field.
- Use the Proposal Type field to select predefined and institution-specific proposal types.
- Enter the desired information into the Start Date field.
- Enter the desired information into the End Date field.
- Enter the desired information into the No. Periods field. When you first create a proposal as Draft, the Budget Periods grid contains blank start and end dates. When you enter the proposal start and end dates, enter a value in No. Periods field, and select the Build Periods button, the system automatically inserts a row into the grid for each period. The first period start date and the last period end date are supplied by default from the proposal start and end dates.
- After you enter and save the budget details on the Budget Detail page the Target Sponsor Budget reflects the budget for each period. The Target Sponsor Budget amount displayed below the grid reflects the sum of all budget periods.
- Once you have entered the number of periods, select Build Periods.
PI stands for 'Principal Investigator' which is the person who is responsible for the design, conduct, and reporting of grant activities, also known as a grant program manager. If you need to add a new Grant PI ID, please submit a ctcLink Service Ticket with the PI's first and last name, and EMPLID number. If the PI is new to your college, please ensure the individual is set up as an employee in ctcLink before requesting they be set up as a grant PI.
- Notice that after you build a period that the button is now grayed out.
- Periods can be on anytime frame that you designate.
- Example: you might want a Period for each year of the Grant or you could have a period for each quarter.
- On the Projects tab, enter valid values shown below. Use the Projects page to add or update projects that are associated with a proposal. You can associate multiple projects with each proposal. Because the system uses a one-to-many relationship for proposals and projects, you can establish a separate project profile even in cases in which only one project is in a proposal.
- The value in the Title field is derived from the Title field entered on the Proposal page. You can override these if needed.
- The value in the Department field is derived from the PI Name value entered on the Proposal page. Enter Department ID.
- Select the Subdivision field to enter the Subdivision the department reports to within the college. Then enter Major Subdivision ID (most cases the Department and the Subdivision will be the same).
- Select the Institution field to enter the Institution the Subdivision reports to within the college.
NOTE: Notice that the Project ID and the Proposal ID will auto populate after the proposal has been complete and saved.
The F&A department field are always set to the same department number (Department 98219 was the department number chosen by the SBCTC).
- On the Budgets tab, enter valid values as shown below. (The Budget ID will also be your activity).
- Use the Budget ID field to enter the budget ID for the project. Remember that the Budget ID will be the Activity ID when the Grant is Awarded. Enter the desired information into the Budget ID field.
- Enter the desired information into the Description field.
- Select the Location link at the bottom of the page.
The Budget ID becomes your Activity ID and will complete the Grant ChartString (Fund, Class, Dept, Project and Activity). Recommend to name the Budget ID to identify the Grant Award or Grant Administration/Internal Controls/WorkStudy and utilize the Description fields. Under each Budget ID will be the Budget Items such as salaries, benefits, travel, tuition, etc.
Here's a few examples of Budget IDs;
- Budget ID = ADMIN and Description = Admin Budget
- Budget ID = BEDMS and Description = BEdA Master Grant
- Budget ID = WFWST and Description = WorkFirst WorkStudy Budget
In the Budget Header section, select the plus icon to add an additional Budget ID. Then select the View All hyperlink to view multiple Budget IDs.
- On the Location tab, enter valid values in required fields. (The Location is the location where the grant is taking place).
- Enter Location.
- Enter Phone.
- Select Save.
Once your Proposal is saved, the Proposal and Project number will auto populate.
**Tip** the Proposal ID will become your contract number once you generate the award.
- On the Budgets tab, select the F&A and Pricing Set Up link.
- On the F & A Pricing Setup page, enter valid values in required fields.
- Select the Institution Minus Funded option to use the sponsor's F&A rate for calculating the cost-sharing F&A.
- Use the Pricing Method list to select As Incur , which indicates a Reimbursable Contract. This will create the correct contract type at time of award.
- Use the Product field to enter the product for the contract line. You can identify a distinct product within each activity.
- Each Pricing method has one Product associated to it. Select the Product that is associated to the Pricing method of the proposal being created. Select GRANT_SVC.
- Use the Rate Type field to enter a rate type. Select IND or Indirect Rate.
- Enter the desired information into the Rate Type field.
- Select the FA Base value in the Budget section that corresponds with the FA Base the sponsor allows.
- Select the FA Rate % value in the Budget section that corresponds with the FA Rate % the sponsor allows.
- At proposal stage, one of the values needs to be selected. Once awarded, a new proposal version will be created to submit the correct pricing method.
- Enter the Effective Date value in the Effective Date field for the FA RATE %.
- This date should be the same as the award start date. The only time this value needs to be changed is if the FA RATE % is changing during the life cycle of the award and then the add button would be used to add a new value with the new dates in it.
- Select OK.
Notice the Pricing Method is “As Incurred” this confirms that it is a cost reimbursable contract. If you do not select the pricing method or you skip the F&A section completely, the Grant will default to a Cost reimbursable billing method.
- Select the Resources tab. Use the Resources page to maintain information about each resource for a proposal project. These resources are used by Research or Workflow.
- Use the Type field to enter a resource type. The system-delivered resource types include Laboratory, Clinical, Animal, Computer, Office, Other, Major Equipment, and Other. Enter the desired information into the Type field.
- Select Save.
- On the Budgets tab of the Maintain Proposal page, select a Period number link. The Budget Detail page will display.
- On the Enter Budget Detail page, enter valid values in required fields.
- Notice that the Sponsor F & A is calculated based on the percentage that was entered in the F & A Pricing Setup page above.
- Select Save.
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Grants > Proposals > Submit Proposal
Next you will need to “Submit” the Proposal. When a Proposal has a status of “submitted” you can no longer modify the Proposal. You can only make changes when the proposal is in the “draft” status.
**TIP**to change the proposal back into a draft status so you can make edits, go back to the Submit Proposal Menu and change the submit status back to “Not Submitted.” You can change this status until you Generate the Award.
- On the Submit Proposal search page, enter or look up the Business Unit.
- Enter or look up the Proposal ID.
- Select Search. The Submit Proposal page will display.
- On the Submission tab, enter valid values.
- Change the Submit Status to Submitted.
- Select Save.
- Select the Return to Maintain Proposal link and the Maintain Proposal page will display.
- On the Maintain Proposal page, notice that the Proposal Status and Submit Status have changed from Draft to Submitted.
- Process complete.
Add your comment