Modifying a Grant Project Budget
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for modifying a Grant Award Project Budget in ctcLink.
Audience: Finance/Grant Fiscal Staff.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZC Awards Processing
- ZZ Awards Processing
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Navigation: Grants > Awards > Project Budgets
- On the Project Budgets search page, use the Find an Existing Value tab to search for a project.
- Enter or select the appropriate business unit in the Business Unit field.
- Enter or select the project number of the project to modify the budget for in the Project field.
- Select the Search button. Note: If you have personalized this page, your screen will look different than the screenshots and video below show. Be sure to update all applicable fields as described below.
Note: If you have personalized this page, your screen will look different than the screenshots and video below show. Be sure to update all applicable fields as described below.
To Personalize columns or download to Excel spreadsheet for analysis, select the Grid Action Menu or spreadsheet icon.
- The Budget Detail page displays. Use the Budget Detail page to enter/modify the project budget.
- Review the current budget line items.
- Scroll to the far right of the page to select the Add a new row [+] icon at the end of the row to create a new budget line(s) for this project.
Note Grants and Projects are Budgeted at the Roll-up Level. By selecting the Budget Item first, the Roll-up GL Account will auto populate. If you need to use a different Account, change the Budget Item rather than overwriting the Account. Please see next step how to enter the Budget Details.
- Depending upon your Budget Detail setup, enter the Budget changes to each Activity and corresponding Amount(s) changes.
The Analysis Type defaults to BUD for Budget.
Note: When modifying budget line(s) you will need to create a new budget line and then make the adjustments.
Example: $50 of Goods & Services needs to be moved to Travel. First you would create a new line, the amount would be $ -50.00 with the budget item of Goods & Services. Then you would create another line with $50 to Travel. Double check to make sure your ChartStrings are completely filled out and are correct. Note the Total Grant Award stays the same in this example. If total award has increased/decreased, make adjustments as needed however a Contract Amendment is required. At the end of this process, the QRGs are linked below for quick reference.
- Select the General Ledger Detail tab. Enter valid field values for each new Budget Row line(s):
- Verify the Activity (also your Budget ID).
- Enter the Operating Unit.
- Enter the Fund Code.
- Enter the Department.
- Enter the Class.
- Select the Save button.
- Select the Finalize button. The system finalizes the plan by picking up the rows only for a budget period and not the entire plan, as in Project Costing.
- Read the displayed message within the Message window.
- Select the OK button.
- The message window disappears.
- Select Process Monitor link. For more information on this process, please see QRG Process Scheduler/Process Monitor. The process has finished successfully when the Run Status column indicates ‘Success' and the Distribution Status is 'Posted'.
Optional to select the Commitment Control Detail tab to display the ledger and ledger group that the system uses to book the budget journals. This tab also displays the Commitment Control Status and once posted, the Journal ID creating the budget. The Commitment Control Status should be set to ‘None’ until the Finalize button is used and then it should change to ‘Distributed’ and a Journal ID number appears on the row.
NOTE: Once the finalize process runs to success, upon returning to the Budget Detail > General Ledger Detail page to verify the posted Budget lines are "grayed" out and no longer editable. If the lines are editable, check all required field values are entered and correct, resave and select the Finalize button again.
If your Award Contract has a Budget Revisions that Increases/Decreases from the original total amount, you will need to do a Contract Amendment and Increase/Decrease the total Contract Amount. The Total Grant Award should equal the Total Contract Award.
Please see the following QRGs for Contract Amendments:
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.
View the external link to Modifying a Grant Project Budget. This link will open in a new tab/window.