9.2 Processing Check Adjustments for Overpayment or Underpayment
Purpose: To process check adjustments for overpayments or underpayments using ctcLink.
Audience: Payroll Specialists.
You process check adjustments when an employee has been overpaid or underpaid on a specific check. The adjustment process calculates the check as it should have been calculated in the first place and compares the new calculation to the calculation for the original check. In the example of unpaid overtime, you issue a single check for the difference. In some cases the employee might owe the company money, in which case you process a negative adjustment.
The adjustment process produces an off-cycle paysheet page with two pay lines: a Reversing Adjustment with a net pay of zero and an Adjustment record where you enter the information for the check as it should have been originally. When you adjust a check, three situations are possible:
- No change in net pay.
- The company owes the employee money.
- The employee owes the company money.
Processing Check Adjustments for Overpayment or Underpayment
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Payroll for North America > Payroll Processing USA > Reverse/Adjust Paychecks
- The Reverse/Adjust Paychecks run control search page displays.
- Enter the Run Control ID or select the Add a New Value tab and create one.
- Select the Search or Add button.
- The Reverse/Adjust Paychecks page displays. Use this page to enter the request parameters; they will be used to define the processing rules and data to be included when the process is run.
- Enter the desired information into the Company field.
- Enter the Pay Group that corresponds to this process request.
- Enter the desired information into the Pay Group field.
- The Pay Period End Date corresponds to the on-cycle pay calendar with which you want to process the reversal or reversal/adjustment.
- Enter the desired information into the Pay Period End Date field.
- Enter the desired information into the Paycheck Number field. This will cause other fields to auto-populate needed information.
- Enter the desired information into the Paycheck Issue Date field.
- The Paycheck Reversal/Adjustment process produces different results, depending on whether you select Reversal (to reverse the entire check) or Reversal/Adjustment (to reverse or adjust data).
- Select the Reversal/Adjustment option.
- Select the Run button.
- The Process Scheduler Request page displays.
- Select the OK button.
- The Reverse/Adjustment Paychecks page displasy.
- Make note of the Process Instance number. This number helps you identify the process you have run when you check the run status.
- Select the Process Monitor link.
- The Process Monitor page displays.
- The process is finished when the status is Success. Continue to select the Refresh button until the status is Success.
- The process to do a check adjustment for overpayment or underpayment is complete.
- End of procedure.