9.2 Entering Journal Entry Totals
Purpose: Use this document as a reference to enter journal entry totals.
Audience: Finance or Business Office Staff.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ GL Journal Entry
You must also set these User Preference Definitions:
If you need assistance with the above security roles or User Preference Definitions, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Enter Journal Entry Totals
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > General Ledger > Journals > Journal Entry > Create/Update Journal Entries
- Select the Find an Existing Value tab.
- Select in the Business Unit field - Enter in the desired information into the Business Unit field. Enter a valid value e.g. "WA220"
- Select in the Journal ID field - Enter the desired information into the Journal ID field. Enter a valid value e.g. "0000005284".
- Select the Journal Header Status list.
- If you are not sure what the journal status is, select the blank value from the list. This way, the search returns the journal regardless of its header status - Select the list item.
- Select the Search button.
- Select on the link from the search results.
- The Header page displays information that uniquely identifies a journal entry.
- Select the Totals tab.
- The Totals page enables you to enforce a greater degree of control over the journal entry process. You can use this page to specify debit and credit amounts, unit value of statistical entries, and the number of lines.
- The fields in the Control Totals group box identify the control total amounts for each currency code and base currency used in the journal lines - You enter the expected totals for the journal, which are compared to the actual totals when the journal is edited.
- The fields in the Actual Totals group box are the total amounts entered on the Lines page for the control business unit, currency, and base currency.
- The fields in the Differences group box are the differences between the control totals and the actual totals.
- Use the Debits field to enter the total debits amount in the journal for the currency. When you move out of this field, the system populates the Credits field with the same amount.
- Select in the Debits field.
- Enter the desired information into the Debits field. Enter a valid value e.g. "200".
- Select the Save button.
- Select OK.
- Notice the Credits field is populated with the same amount in the Debits field - You enter a control total (expected amount of debits and credits) to be compared to the actual journal totals in the Actual Totals column. The difference shows up in the Differences column.
- End of procedure.