9.2 Adding a New Department to ChartField Definitions
Purpose: Use this document to add departments for colleges.
Audience: Finance staff
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZD GL Local Config Inquiry
- ZZ GL Local Configuration
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Adding a New Department to ChartField Definitions
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Set Up Financials/Supply Chain > Common Definitions > Design ChartFields > Define Values > ChartField Values.
Caution: A NEW department must start the first day of the new fiscal year, i.e. 7/1/20XX. If the current date is used, various trees and reports may not contain the departments as they will be outside of its criteria’s scope.
- The ChartField Values page displays.
- Select the Department link.
- The Department search page displays.
- Select the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter Business Unit in the SetID field.
- Enter Department number.
- Select Add.
- The Department page displays.
- Enter the following information;
- Effective Date = 07/01/20XX
- Status = Active
- Short Description
- Manager ID
- Select Save.
ADDING/EDITING DEPARTMENTS: When adding a new department, the effective date should always be at the beginning of the fiscal year. If editing an existing Department (for example adding a new Department Manager), add a new line with an effective date equal to the update.
- Select the Add a New Value [+] icon to create another record.
INACTIVATING DEPARTMENTS: Please do not inactivate the previous year as this will lead to issues with closing. If you want to inactivate a department, this should also be done with the beginning of a fiscal year. In this instance, you would create a new line item by using the plus sign and make the new line with the status of inactive. Before inactivating a department, please make sure all data has been transferred.
NOTE: if you have a change to managers, a new line should be created with an effective date of when the manager changed.
NOTE: the beginning date of a new department should be the first day of the fiscal year.
- The new effective date defaults to the current date. Enter the new effective date.
- To retain history, change the status to Inactive of the prior date department.
- Select Save.
- Process complete.