9.2 Understanding Item Types
Purpose: Use this page to gain a better understanding of Item Types in ctcLink.
Audience: Campus Solutions staff, Student Financials staff, Financial Aid staff.
Please note that item types are solely updated by SBCTC. Colleges may request via ticket to have their item types updated.
Understanding Item Types
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Set Up SACR> Product Related> Student Financials> Item Types> Item Types
- The Item Types search page displays.
- Enter Search Criteria.
- Select the Search button.
- The Initial Setup tab is displayed below.
- The Effective Date is the date which the item type will first be used.
- The Description is will be displayed in student self service.
- Short Desc.
- Optional Keywords can be used when searching for item types.
- Classification. Applicable values include Application Fee, Charge, Deposit, Financial Aid, Payment, Refund, Waiver and Write-off. This determines how transactions are posted to the students account as well as entered in the accounting lines.
- If the transactions with the item type should be sent to the Finance General Ledger check the GL Interface Required checkbox.
- Accounting Date Control value of "Run Date"; this value determines how the accounting date in the accounting lines will be set. Run Date is the current date on which the generate accounting entries process are run. Other values are available.
- Select the Amount Edits tab.
- The Amount Edits tab is displayed below.
- Maximum Transaction Amount per individual type.
- The 1098-T Eligible check box is if the item type should be reported as eligible expenses for students.
- Select the Miscellaneous tab.
- The Miscellaneous tab is displayed below - the first is for charges, the second image is regarding payments. The fields that appear on this page are dependent on which item type classification that was select on the Initial Setup tab.
- Leave the Adjustment Calendar field blank for charge item types.
- Leave the Payment Terms, Tax Code and Earnings Non Taxable fields blank for charge and refund item types. As well, leave the NRA Taxable Credit check box unselected.
- The Miscellaneous tab below is for payment item types.
- The Charge Priority List contains charges that are eligible to be paid by the item type. This field is used with Deposit, Financial Aid, Payment and Waiver item types.
- The Payment Overall Priority value controls the order in which payments are applied to eligible charges. Select STD for Deposit, Payment and Wavier item types. Select FINAID for Financial Aid.
- Check the Tender Specific check box and select the corresponding Category for payment and deposit item types that require tender details.
- The Refundable Indicator makes payments eligible for refunding. This field is used with Deposit, Financial Aid and Payment item types.
- The Payment Priority check box and assign a Priority ranking to the payment. This will enable payment swapping where a payment with a higher priority can displace a lower priority payment and apply to eligible charges. This field is used with Deposit, Financial Aid, Payment and Waiver item types.
- Select Pick up Receivable from Charge check box if you want to select the receivable chart field from the charge in which the payment is being applied. If unchecked, the payment credit chart field will be used for GL processing. This field is used with Deposit, Financial Aid, Payment and Waiver item types.
- Select the Account Types tab.
- The Account Types tab is displayed below.
- Enter Account Type. Select the Add a New Row [+] icon to add additional Account Types.
- Select the General Ledger Interface tab.
- The General Ledger Interface tab is displayed below.
- Enter the Term of either "0000" or a specific term the item type to be effective by choosing a specific term; it will go into effect that term forward unless a new row with a new term is added to the set up.
- Update the Effective Date if the date should be a value other than the defaulted current date.
- Enter the Jrnl Set and Timing values. The timing value should be set to "Assessment" for both the debit and credit rows.
- Select "Debit" or "Credit" from the drop down list on Debit/Credit field. You must set up one debit and one credit for each item type.
- Enter the percentage you want posted to the GL account in the GL Pct field. Priority and Priority Amounts are optional fields.
On the item types that have GL allocated to various percentages, the GL Pct field needs to be entered and saved in the same order for the debit side as it is for the credit side.
- Enter the chart field strings by selecting the Jrnl Set ChartFields link. Select the applicable GL Business Unit, select Ledger = "LOCAL". Enter the applicable chart field values for Account, Department, Fund Code, Class Field and Operating Unit. Select OK.
- The Defer Revenue-Until, Deferred Dates, and Deferred Chart fields are optional fields related to deferring revenue.
- Select the Add a New Value [+] icon to add additional journal entries.
- The Journal Set Chartfields page displays.
- Enter values and select the OK button.
- Process complete.