Creating Reverse Accounting Entries
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for creating reverse accounting entries in ctcLink.
Audience: Settlement Manager, GL Accountant.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZD Treasury Inquiry
- ZZ Treasury Accounting Maint
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Accounting entries that need to be reversed can be identified by using various identifiers, such as Accounting ID, Source, and Payment ID. The Reverse Accounting Entries process does the following:
- Selects the accounting data
- Reverses the amounts and resets certain statuses and fields
- Assigns a new Accounting ID to each selected header and line items
Note: The process does not reset the accounting event status associated with the original accounting entry.
- Calls document sequencing and ChartField combination editing, when applicable
- Populates the accounting tables with the new data
- Checks for errors and updates the accounting header
- Logs messages summarizing the entries (including type of errors, number of entries created)
Note: Accounting entries can only be reversed once.
Create Reverse Accounting Entries
Navigation: Cash Management > Treasury Accounting > Reverse Accounting Request
- The Reverse Accounting Request run control ID search page displays.
- If you have run this process or report in the past, select the Find an Existing Value tab to enter an existing Run Control ID and select the Search button. If this is the first time running this process or report, select the Add a New Value tab to create a new Run Control ID and select the Add button.
- NOTE: It is important to note that Run Control IDs cannot be deleted. Do not include spaces in your Run Control. We encourage the Run Control ID to have the same process naming convention but unique to the step; because of this, including your institution code and a short process description in the Run Control ID is recommended--e.g., WA010_RVS_ACCTG_ENTRIES (College, Process).
- The Reverse Accounting Request page displays.
- Use the Process Frequency drop-down menu to select ‘Always Process.’
- Use the Reverse Accounting Option drop-down menu to choose from one of the following three options:
- Reverse by Accounting ID - if selected, the Accounting ID Criteria will populate to enter local college field values.
- Reverse by Payment ID - if selected, the Payment ID Criteria will populate to enter local college field values.
- Reverse by Source - if selected, the Source Criteria will populate to enter local college field values.
Note: The page will render differently depending on the selected Reverse Accounting field selection. Each option has different criteria for identifying the accounting entries to be reversed.
- In the Combo Template field specify a combination editing template.
- Use the Reversal Date Option drop-down menu to select the date type to use as the accounting date for the reversal accounting entries. Select a reversal date from these values:
- Current Date – Select to use the current date as the accounting date for the reversal accounting entries.
- Specify Date – This option requires a value in the Reversal Date field, where you can enter a specific accounting date.
Note: The Reversal Date field is available for input when the reversal date option is ‘Specify Date’.
- When the Reverse Accounting Request form is complete, select the Run button. The Process Scheduler window displays. Select the OK button to run the process. For more information, please refer to the QRG Process Scheduler/Process Monitor.
Note: The reversal accounting entry is not linked to a fiscal period.
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.
Video Tutorial Via Panopto
View the external link to Creating Reverse Accounting Entries. This link will open in a new tab/window.