Modifying Paid Expense Report Journals
Purpose: Use this document as a reference to modify a paid expense report journal or adjust paid expenses in ctcLink.
Audience: Finance and Business Office staff
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ Expenses Processing
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Modifying Paid Expense Report Journals or Adjusting Paid Expenses
Navigation: Travel and Expenses > Manage Accounting > View/Adjust Accounting Entries > Adjust Paid Expenses
- The Journal Expense Report search page displays.
- Enter or lookup the Empl ID.
- Select the Add button.
- The Modify Journal Entries for An Expense Report page displays. Use these journal entries to correct errors and make adjustments to expense report payments, which will synchronize the expense system with the general ledger.
- Select the magnifying glass to the right of Journal Report ID, to search for and select the Expense Report you want to modify.
- Enter a Report Description.
- Select the checkbox for your expense line.
- Select the Expense Type link for your expense line(s) you want to modify.
- The Accounting Detail page displaying accounting distribution details.
- Select the Add button to add a row for additional adjusting entries.
- Select the Add button again, so that you now have 2 new rows (there will be a total of 3 blank rows, including the 1 row that the system auto generates)
Note: Every Journal Expense Report requires a total of at least 4 distribution lines. Journal Expense Reports are not “paid”, but journal entries will be generated. The Cash Lines need to be added in order to move the cash with the expense.
- Expense Line (Reversal of Original Entry and auto generated by system).
- Expense Line (New Entry, correcting original Entry)
- Cash Line (Off-set of Reversal of Original Entry line, coded to 1000199).
- Cash Line (Off-set of New Entry, coded to 1000199).
- Enter valid ChartFields values on all lines, making sure to add Cash Lines as instructed in Note above.
- Enter appropriate Amounts, so that the sum of all lines equals 0.00.
- Select the OK button.
Note: Be cautious when entering the new chartfield values (it’s recommended to double check your chartstring), as currently there is no way to update the values, if entered incorrectly and Submit for Posting is selected.
If the Journal Expense Report fails budget checking, you must submit a SD ticket to have the values updated by our technical team. We are working on an alternative solution with Oracle, but we do not have a time frame on when an alternative solution will be offered.
- The Accounting Detail page disappears. Optional to add comments in the Notes section.
- Select Submit for Posting.
- Budget check will run, stay on this page until you see that it has completed successfully.
- If a Pop Up message appears, indicating that Budget Checking Errors Exist, close the pop up window to return to the Modify Journal Entries for an Expense Report Page.
- You are not able to correct the chartstring if an error exists. Record the new Report ID, close out the page and submit a Service Desk Ticket requesting a manual update to the Chartfield values for the new Report ID.
- If Budget checking is successful, now you are ready to Post Liabilities for the new Journal Expense Report.
- Navigation: Travel and Expenses > Process Expenses > Expense Processing
- The Expense Transactions run control ID search page displays.
- If you have run this process or report in the past, select the Find an Existing Value tab to enter an existing Run Control ID and select the Search button. If this is the first time running this process or report, select the Add a New Value tab to create a new Run Control ID and select the Add button.
- NOTE: It is important to note that Run Control IDs cannot be deleted. Do not include spaces in your Run Control. We encourage the Run Control ID to have the same process naming convention but unique to the step; because of this, including your institution code and a short process description in the Run Control ID is recommended--e.g., WA020_POST_LIAB (College, Process).
- The Expense Processes tab displays. Select the Selected Business Units tab.
- On the Selected Business Units tab page, enter the Business Unit.
- Select the Expense Processes tab.
- The Expense Processes tab displays. Select the Save button.
- Select the Refresh button.
- Select the Post Liabilities checkbox.
- Select the Run button. Please refer to the QRG Process Scheduling/Process Monitor for further instructions.
When you process the journal expense reports, the system rolls back the original accounting entries and posts the new entries. This corrects the general ledger to reflect the same entries that exist in the expense system. If you use Commitment Control, you must run budget checking to reverse the entries in the Commitment Control ledgers.
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.
Video Tutorial Via Panopto
View the external link to Modifying Paid Expense Report Journals. This link will open in a new tab/window.