Creating Travel Authorizations
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to create a Travel Authorization in ctcLink.
Audience: Financial Staff/Employees.
Tip: A Travel Authorization (TA) is a Travel document created prior to travel showing estimated costs for travel; it produces an encumbrance that will get relieved once an Expense Report is filed against it. All approvals need to be completed prior to Travel Dates.
To complete a Travel Authorization, you will need to know what Budget or Chartfield values to be added in the Accounting Details section of a Travel Authorization. If unsure what values to use, please check with your supervisor.
Create Travel Authorization
Navigation: Employee Self-Service > Travel and Expenses > Travel Authorizations > Create/Modify
- The Create a Travel Authorization search page displays. Depending on your role, the Empl ID will default into the field. If you are authorized to enter a travel authorization on behalf of someone else, then you will need to look up the Empl ID first.
- Select Add.
- The Create Travel Authorization page displays. Select Business Purpose from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the Description.
- Enter or lookup the Default Location from the drop-down menu. The most common use will be to look up the Expense Location codes in Washington. Enter ‘WA’ in the field next to ‘begins with’. Select Look Up.
- Enter a date or use the calendar menu in the Date From field to select the first day of travel.
- Enter a date or use the calendar menu in the Date To field to select the last day of travel.
- Optional to enter or lookup the Reference.
Add Projected Expenses
- In the Projected Expenses section, enter a date or use the calendar menu to select a Date for the line item.
- Select the appropriate Expense Type from the drop-down menu. Follow instructions below to add a mileage based expense. (Note: If a Per Diem type is selected, Location must be entered.)
- Enter Description.
- Select the Payment Type from the drop-down menu.
- The Amount field will not be available for a mileage based expense type.
- Select the Transportation ID from the drop-down menu.
- If appropriate, enter Miles.
- Select the Calculate Gross Amount icon (two green arrows) and note the dollar amount will populate automatically.
- Expand the Accounting Details drop-down arrow to view or edit the Chartfields.
- The Accounting Details section displays. Depending upon your college business practice, your Accounting Details may populate automatically. If not, enter in the following Chartfield values to make up a valid Chartstring;
- Select the Operating Unit from the lookup menu.
- Select the Fund from the lookup menu.
- Optional: if applicable, add the Appropriation Index.
- Select the Department from the lookup menu.
- Select the Class from the lookup menu.
- Select the State Purpose from the lookup menu.
Note: The Transportation ID will only populate if you have added it to your Profile.
Optional Fields: Grant/Project or Program
- If Project/Grant related, enter the PC Bus Unit, Project, and Activity ID.
- If applicable, add the Program Code.
- If need to Split Payment: select the Add a New Row [+] icon to add an additional accounting Chartfields line.
- Select the luggage tag icon to expand (and/or collapse) to view the entire Chartfield values, also known as a ChartString.
There are three options at this point:
You can complete the Travel Authorization now by selecting Summary and Submit.
Note: When you select the Submit button, Expenses displays the Submit Confirmation page to indicate that it successfully saved and submitted the travel authorization.
- Select the Summary and Submit link.
- The Create Travel Authorization Summary page displays.
- Select the check box to certify costs are reasonable estimates and comply with expense policy.
- Select the Submit Travel Authorization button.
After you submit the travel authorization, you cannot modify it unless an approver returns it to you.
If need to review or make changes, select the Travel Authorization Details link to toggle back to the details page.
- You can continue to add items to the Travel Authorization (TA). Select the Add a New Row [+] icon to add another projected expense.
- A new Projected Expenses row displays.
- You can select the Save for Later button which will issue the TA Authorization ID.
- Optional to select the Actions menu drop down arrow and select the Create Cash Advance link.
- Then select the GO button.
Note: By selecting the Save for Later button, you are able to save the travel authorization without submitting it for approval. You can save the report with or without invalid or missing information, and you can modify it later.
When you select the Save for Later button, Expenses displays the Save Confirmation page to indicate that it successfully saved the travel authorization and indicates if missing or invalid information exists.
- The Create Cash Advance page displays. Enter the following information:
- Advance Description.
- Amount of Cash Advance.
- Select the box to certify the advance submitted are accurate and comply with expense policy.
- Select the Submit Cash Advance button.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.
Video Tutorial Via Panopto
View the external link to Creating Travel Authorizations. This link will open in a new window.