Closing Expense Reports
Purpose: Use the Expense Reports Close page to mark an expense report for close if it has been approved for payment processing but not staged for payments. Also, the expense report post status is posted.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ Expenses Processing
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
NOTE: Closing Expense Reports reverses the liability entries and changes the Status field and Post State to Closed.
If there is a Cash Advance applied to the Expense Report you want to Close, you need to remove the Cash Advance (if it will be used on another Expense Report), otherwise, the Cash Advance will be ‘Reconciled’ and entries reversed as part of the Close Expense Report Process. Use the Modify Approved Transactions page to remove the CA from the ER. In order to access the ER from Modify Approved Transactions, it needs to be Unposted. Once the Cash Advance is removed, it will need to be Posted again, to be eligible to be Closed.
Mark Expense Report
Navigation: Travel and Expenses > Process Expenses > Close Expenses > Mark Expense Report for Close
- The Mark Expense Report for Close search page displays. Enter the Report ID or use the "Search by:" criteria to help identify the expense Report ID:
- Creation Date.
- Empl ID.
- Report Description.
- Report ID.
- Report Status.
- Select the Search button.
- The Mark Expense Report for Close page displays.
- Select a Reversal Date radio button:
- Use Current Date (default).
- Use Specific Date.
- If the Expense Report is dated in a closed period, select the checkboxes Override Expense Budget Date and Override Expense Accounting Date to create the Reversals in the current open period.
- Select the Close button to close the Expense Report.
You can use the Close Expense Report page to modify the reversal date and verify that the expense report is to be closed.
- The Close Expense Report confirmation page displays. Adjust the Reversal Date if needed.
- Select OK to close the confirmation page. To process an expense report that is marked for closing, use the Expense Processes page.
- After you confirm your selection, the system marks the expense report for closing.
- Notice that the Close button is no longer available.
Navigation: Travel and Expenses > Process Expenses > Expense Processing
- The Expense Transactions search page displays. If you have run this process or report in the past, select the Find an Existing Value tab to enter an existing Run Control ID and select the Search button. If this is the first time running this process or report, select the Add a New Value tab to create a new Run Control ID and select the Add button.
- NOTE: It is important to note that Run Control IDs cannot be deleted. Do not include spaces in your Run Control. We encourage the Run Control ID to have the same process naming convention but unique to the step; because of this, including your institution code and a short process description in the Run Control ID is recommended--e.g., WA020_CLOSE_EXPENSES (Business Unit, Process).
- The Expense Processes tab displays. You may need to add/verify your college on the Selected Business Units tab page.
- If the Run Control ID is new, select the Save button and then select the Refresh button to update the transaction counts.
- If you are using an existing Run Control ID, the transaction counts will update automatically.
- Select the Close Liability option. (When you select the Close Liability option and run the Application Engine process, the system reverses the liability entries for expense reports that are marked for closing and changes the status to "Closed"). Select the Save Button.
- Select Refresh.
- Select Run.
- The Process Scheduler Request page displays. Select OK to run the Expense Transaction Processing process (EX_TRAN_PRCS).
- The Process Scheduler Request page disappears and the updated Expense Processes tab displays.
- Note the Process Instance number. Select Process Monitor. Refer to the QRG Process Scheduler/Process Monitor for instructions.
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.
Video Tutorial Via Panopto
View the external link to Closing Expense Reports. This link will open in a new tab/window.