9.2 Manually Reconcile Cash Advances
Purpose: Use this document to reconcile cash advances against an expense report where the employee did not use the entire advance. This employee gave you a check to reimburse the company for the difference between their expenses and their cash advance.
Audience: Finance Staff/Expenses.
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZZ Expenses Processing
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
A Cash Advance is 'Automatically' reconciled when it is fully applied to an Expense Report. Once the Cash Advance is applied to the Expense Report and the Liabilities have been posted, you need to run the Expense Process Advance Reconciliation to update the status of the Cash Advance to ‘Reconciled’. Cash Advances only need to be 'Manually Reconciled' if they are not fully used or not used at all.
Manually Reconcile Cash Advances
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Travel and Expenses > Manage Accounting > Reconcile Cash Advance
- The Cash Advance Reconciliation search page displays. Enter Advance ID number if you know it; otherwise select Advance Search and provide different criteria to find the Advance ID.
- Select Search.
- The Reconcile Cash Advance Report page displays. Use it to reconcile a cash advance. You can compare the cash advance against a submitted expense report.
- Use the Accounting Date field to enter the accounting date for Expenses to use to generate new accounting entries for cash advances reconciled through an expense report.
- If the cash advance is associated with an expense report, the Associated Expense Reports grid displays the expense Report ID, Creation Date, Report Status and amounts.
- If there is no report ID, you can still reconcile the cash advance. For example, if an employee received a cash advance but did not take the planned business trip or did not use all of the cash advance, the cash advance can be reconciled by the employee writing a check to the organization for the total displayed in the Due Company field.
- Use the Date, Number and Amount fields to enter check numbers and check amounts when the employee submit checks for unused cash advance funds. You can enter multiple checks.
- Select Save for Later to save the manual reconciliation line items to the Cash Advance.
- Select Reconcile.
- The updated Reconcile Cash Advance Report displays. If the amount applied to expense reports and total payments received equals the cash advance request amount, Expenses sets the cash advance Status to Reconciled.
- Notice the Status has changed to Reconciled and the Payments Received and Due Company fields are updated with the amount paid.
For more information on how to apply a Cash Advance to an Expense Report, please see the QRG 9.2 Applying Cash Advances to an Expense Report.
NOTE: The cash advance is reconciled when the Due Company field reaches zero balance and the reconcile button is inactive.
Navigate to Expense Processing:
Navigation: NavBar > Travel and Expenses > Process Expenses > Expense Processing
- The Expense Transactions run control ID search page displays.
- Select the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter Run Control ID.
- Select Add.
- The Expense Processes tab displays.
- Select the Selected Business Units tab.
- The Selected Business Units tab displays.
- Enter the Business Unit.
- Select the Expense Processes tab.
- The Expense Processes tab displays.
- Select the Post Liabilities checkbox.
- Select Save.
- Select Run. Please refer to the Process Scheduling QRG for further instructions.
The Post Liabilities process generates new accounting entries when an employee pays an outstanding cash advance balance.
- Process complete.