9.2 Exporting Data to SEVIS and/or SEVIS Master
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for exporting SEVIS data in ctcLink.
Audience: College staff responsible for maintaining student SEVIS information.
Run the SEVIS Export process for the appropriate visa types. For events where the Send To field is set to SEVIS, the export process generates an XML file compliant with the SEVIS XML schema.
Exporting Data to SEVIS
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Campus Community > SEVIS > F/M Alerts > Export SEVIS Events - F/M
- The Export SEVIS Events - F/M run control ID search page displays.
- Select Search.
- Select the Add a New Value tab.
- Enter a Run Control ID.
- Select Add.
- The Export SEVIS Events - F/M page displays.
- Select SEVIS School Code.
- Enter or look up the DSO EmplID.
- Note: This field is optional and is used to limit the export file to only those individuals whose current form (I-20) is associated with the specified DSO ID. Depending on business processes, if your institution has multiple DSOs, you might find it helpful to limit the XML data files to a specific ID. This can assist with the organization and review of transaction log results and forms received from SEVIS.
If you are running the Export SEVIS Events - F/M process for the first time, you will need to complete steps 8 through 16. Staff returning to this process using a previously saved Run Control should already have a File Path listed, skip to step 17 to continue with the Export SEVIS Events - F/M process.
- Enter File Path (unique to your college).
- For the first time, to locate the file path for your institution:
- Open a new window--do not close the Export SEVIS Events - F/M page
- Navigate to File Upload/Download-- NavBar > Navigator > PeopleTools > CTC Custom > Extensions > Upload/Download Files.
- Enter or look up your Academic Institution.
- Enter "SEVIS" in the Business Process Name field.
- Select Search.
- The Upload Files tab displays--select the Download Files tab.
- Highlight the File Path with your mouse, right-click, and select "Copy." Ensure you are only copying the file path and not additional spacing.
- Toggle back to the Export SEVIS Events - F/M page.
- Paste the File Path copied from the Download Files page. When pasting the file path, ensure there are no additional spaces before or after the file path in this field, and additional spaces will result in errors.
- Select Run. Refer to the Process Scheduling QRG for instructions.
- The Process Scheduler Request page displays.
- From Process List, select the appropriate process by choosing the Select checkbox.
- Select OK.
Select SEVIS Extract Process to produce the XML output file for SEVIS (for alert records set as Send to SEVIS); select SEVIS Master Synch to update the PeopleSoft SEVIS Master component only (for alert records set as Send to Master), or select Export and Master Synch to run both processes.
- Select the Process Monitor Link.
- Verify the process completion.
- Run Status: Success
- Distribution Status: Posted
- Select the “Go back to Export SEVIS Events F/M" Link
- Select the Report Manager link.
- Select the Report Name.
- If a save change message appears, select No.
- Select the .out file.
- Note the file name to be used in the Download XML Output File process.
Download XML Output File
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > PeopleTools > CTC Custom > Extensions > Upload/Download Files
- The File Upload/Download page displays.
- Enter Academic Institution.
- Enter Functional Area.
- Enter Business Process Name.
- Select Search.
- The Upload Files tab displays.
- Select the Download Files tab.
- The Download Files tab displays.
- Input the File Name found in the CCSEVEXT file.
- Select the Download File button.
- The file downloads to the user’s computer.
Upload XML Output File to SEVIS
- To upload the generated XML file to SEVIS, you must use a utility that supports secure sockets layer (SSL) and HTTPS. The XML batch document upload process is completed outside the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions system using the utility program of your choice. Consult the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) web site for information regarding digital certificate registration and batch file transmission. Note: The xml file you download from PeopleSoft truncates the Batch ID in the file name. It is recommended that you gather the full Batch ID number from the xml file directly. The Batch ID number is a 14 digit number listed between Batch ID brackets.
For example: <BatchID>00000000000018</BatchID> shows a Batch ID 00000000000018.
- See Application Program Interface Document for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System Batch Interface http://www.ice.gov/sevis/schools/batch.htm
- Process complete.