9. 2 Creating Course Topics
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for building course topics in ctcLink
Audience: Course Catalog staff
Course Topics must be created in the Course Catalog before they can be used when scheduling a class for enrollment. It is not recommended to make effective dated changes to the course catalog that would, by date, impact the term after classes have been scheduled. It is best practice always to forward effective date catalog changes to the next term. If a Topic is needed to apply to a term for which a class has already been scheduled, use a Free Format topic on the Class Meetings tab for the current term and forward date the catalog's changes to apply to the next available term. See the Class Topics QRG for details on adding a Free Format Topic.
Creating Course Topics
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Curriculum Management > Course Catalog > Course Catalog
- The Course Catalog search page displays.
- Enter search criteria.
- Select Search.
- The Catalog Data page displays.
- If adding topics to a class, insert a new effective dated row by clicking the (+) plus sign.
- Topics will not be able to be used when scheduling a class until after the effective date.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and input topic descriptions.
- Use the (+) plus sign to add additional topics.
Only one topic per section can be selected when scheduling a class.
- Select Repeat for Credit to indicate topics that are allowed to be taken more than once. (optional)
- This option is only available if the Repeat for Credit box is selected in the Repeat for Credit Rules section on the Catalog data page.
- If this checkbox is not selected, additional enrollment in the same topic is subject to the repeat rules set up in the Repeat Rule Table.
- Select Save.
- The system assigns a unique Topic Link ID for each topic. The repeat checking process uses this number when determining if the topic was already taken. If you create a new effective-dated row for this course, the system carries over the topic link ID to the new effective-dated row. If the Override Topic Link ID checkbox is selected, the Topic Link ID field becomes available for edit. This selection enables you to link course topics within a course across effective-dated rows by giving them the same topic link ID. Because the repeat checking process uses the topic link ID, the process views similar topics that have the same topic link ID as being identical. (optional)
- Process complete.