9.2 Creating Combined Sections
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for creating combined sections in ctcLink.
Audience: Student Records staff
Creating Combined Sections
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Curriculum Management > Combined Sections > Combined Sections Table
Multiple Component classes must be built before combining sections.
If you need to offer two or more separate classes as one class offering, you can combine sections. For example, you may have a course offered by the Economics Department (ECON 101) that is identical to a course offered by the Business School (BUSN 111). Don't combine unless necessary--it will minimize uncombining issues.
Run the query QCS_SR_EXPDENRL_COMBSECT to verify enrollment in combined sections.
- The Combined Sections Table search page displays.
- Enter Academic Institution.
- Enter Term.
- Enter Session.
- Select Search.
- The Combined Sections Table page displays. Here, you are defining the codes that will be assigned to the class sections to link them in the class schedule.
- ctcLink will generate a Combined Sections ID; this can be changed if needed.
- Enter the Description and Short Description.
- Select Save.
- The updated Combined Sections Table page displays.
- To identify the sections to combine, select View Combined Sections.
Note: The Room Capacity defined on this page links to room scheduling software and can be different from enrollment capacity.
- The Identify Combined Sections page displays.
- In the Linked Classes section of the page, enter Class Nbr.
- Select the plus sign at the end of the row to add the additional course numbers to be combined.
- A new row is added to the Linked Classes section of the page.
- Enter Class Nbr.
- Repeat steps 14, 15 and 16 until you have entered all the combined sections.
- Permanent Combination: Select this check box to command the system to roll the combination when you perform the prior term copy process.
- Skip Mtg Pattern & Instr Edit: Select this check box to combine sections with different meeting patterns and instructor information.
- Select Save.
- Select View Combined Sections Table to return to the previous page to identify additional combined sections. On the Combined Sections Table, repeat the steps above by selecting the [+] for all combined sections for the session identified.
- Process complete.
The waitlist process runs for individual class sections. Combined or linked classes will not allow a student to be added from the waitlist. The student will have to be added by overriding the prerequisite, either by a staff member or using permissions codes.
If you get an error message:
- In most cases, if you receive an error message, there is a problem with the class meeting pattern fields for the combined class sections. To correct this:
- "Uncombine" the class sections on the Combined Sections page. Click the [-] minus icon at the end of the row to delete the class section from the Combined Sections page.
- Repeat this until all class sections have been removed from the table.
- Select Save.
- Return to the Maintain Schedule of Classes--Meetings tab and make sure the class meeting patterns for the first class section are correctly entered.
- Review the Meetings tab for each additional class section, ensuring that the class meeting patterns are blank. If you have completed the Meetings panel on the second class section, click the Delete Row button at the start/end date to delete this information. (You cannot just delete the information in the field, and you must click the Delete Row button.)
- Return to the Identify Combined Sections page, re-enter the class sections and save.
- You can also update class meeting patterns on the Schedule Class Meetings page NavBar > Navigator > Curriculum Management > Schedule of Classes > Schedule Class Meetings.