9.2 Adding a Class Fee Via Maintain Schedule of Classes
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to add a class fee in ctcLink
Audience: Class Scheduling staff
You must have at least one of these local college managed security roles:
- ZC CM Class Builder
- ZD CM Class Attributes
- ZD CM Class Builder
- ZD FWL View Cnt Calc
- ZZ CM Class Attributes
- ZZ CM Class Text Book
- ZZ CM Local Configuration
- ZZ FWL Contract Calc
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
Fees added at the course level are not seen on the class schedule pages. Class fees will be charged in addition to any course fees only if the Charge for Course Fee checkbox is selected on the Class Fees Modal tab. It is recommended to verify the fees on the course catalog prior to adding fees on the class sections to avoid any duplication. Course fees can be seen at NavBar > Navigator > Curriculum Management > Course Catalog > Course Catalog
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Curriculum Management > Schedule of Classes > Maintain Schedule of Classes
Adding a Class Fee
- The Maintain Schedule of Classes search page displays.
- Academic Institution: Enter or look up.
- Term:Enter or look up.
- Subject Area:Enter or look up.
- Using the remaining search options to narrow the results.
- Select Search.
- Qualifying classes display at the bottom of the Maintain Schedule of Classes search page.
- Select a class from list of Search Results.
- The Basic Data tab displays.
- Select Add Fee.
- The Class Fees Modal page displays.
- Select Charge Method:
- Most courses should remain with the 'Always' default
- If the class should not charge tuition select 'Not include in term tuition' from the drop down menu.
- Charge for Wait Listed Class: class fee is to be charged to a wait listed student.
- Charge for Course Fee: charge course fees in addition to class fees. If you do not select this check box, class fee definitions override course fee definitions for the same class.
- Include in Pro-rata: class fee is included in pro rata refund calculations.
- Include in other Withdrawal: include this fee in other withdrawal calculations.
- Select Class Sub Fees Modal.
- The Class Sub Fees Modal page displays.
- Select an Account Type.
- Typically class fees are 'FEE' (Mandatory Fees). Consult local business process to determine the account type.
- Item types are the specific codes for the fee being charged. Consult local business process to determine the item type code to be used for specific courses.
Note: Item types have been cross-walked from Legacy fee codes and use the same descriptions as the Fee Codes in legacy.
- Fee Trigger: Always select 'Use Criteria'.
- Fee Amount Equation: Leave blank.
- Fee Amount fields: Fees can be set as a per unit charge or as a flat amount.
- Minimum Amount/Maximum Amount: These fields only apply to this class section and would only be used if charging per unit.
- Adjustment Code: 'STD' (Standard).
- Due Date Code: 'STD' (Standard).
- Waiver Group: Please contact your student financial office regarding which Waiver Groups to use as they are college specific
- Use the [+] sign to add additional fees.
- Select Apply.
- Select OK.
- The Basic Data tab displays.
- Select Save.
- Process complete.
If class fees change and students are enrolled, their tuition will recalculate to the adjusted amount when the student or staff views their customer account.
Are there any issues with adding a class fee after students have registered for the class? I see that it says "If class fees change and students are enrolled, their tuition will recalculate to the adjusted amount when the student or staff views their customer account." I just want to make sure there's no consequences to adding a class fee after students are enrolled, and if there are would we have to drop all the students, cancel the class, recreate it and add the class fee then re-add the students?
Hi Jack, Thank you for your question. Great news--if class fees change, you do not need to drop then re-add students. Their tuition will recalculate when the staff/student views their customer account or the batch tuition calculation process runs.
This QRG does not address what to do if you need to remove a class fee that was mistakenly added. I can't find a separate QRG on this topic either. Can this be updated to address removing class fees and/or can another QRG be created for this topic? We are not sure what to do to remove a class fee that was mistakenly added.
Hi Erica, Your question is greatly appreciated; thank you. A "Delete Fee" section is now available. Have a fantastic day!! ~Tanjagay Martin | CS Core Trainer
I have been asked about how to add fees to a class that will charge the student for each day they attend, rather than a flat fee. This is for a Continued Ed class. How do I accomplish this task?
Hi Linda, This is a great question. Our Functional Analysts can assist you with the scenario presented by submitting a CS Support Ticket. https://ctclinkreferencecenter.ctclink.us/m/67010/l/1211427-how-to-submit-a-ctclink-support-ticket Thank you so much! Tanjagay Martin | CS Core Trainer
Hello, I'm experiencing an issue where when I click on the Add Fee button, the Class Fees Modal page prompts me to either Find an Existing Value or Add a New Value instead of the page shown in this QRG. No matter what criteria I input, I can't move forward with the process. I have Class Building security role and no other schedulers at my college are experiencing the same issue when trying to put a fee on the same class. Any guidance? Thank you.
Thank you for your comment, and I apologize for any inconvenience. The security administrator at your college can help. It might be possible for them to compare your security access. Thank you for your time, Emily. ~Tanjagay Martin | CS Core Trainer
Hi Tanjagay, I want to confirm, in the 2nd blue box on this QRG it says "Class fees will be charged in addition to any course fees only if the Charge for Course Fee checkbox is selected on the Class Fees Modal tab." If there is ONLY a course fee and no class fee, you do not need to click the box that says "Charge for course fee." I have run the query QCS_SF_CLASS_FEES_BY_TERM it shows that if there is a class fee, there is a "yes" in that check box field, even though I have not checked it in the class fee modal section. My team is having some confusion around this and I would like to make sure that I am telling them the correct information.
Hi Liz, Thanks for asking such a great question. We need to know the course/class information and the term to troubleshoot your question. If you submit a CS Support ticket, our analysts can assist you. Have a fantastic day. ~Tanjagay Martin | CS Core Trainer