9.2 Creating New Courses in the Course Catalog
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for creating a course in the catalog in ctcLink.
Audience: Student Records
New Catalog Entry
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Curriculum Management > Course Catalog > Course Catalog
- On the Course Catalog page, select the Add New Value tab.
Make sure to leave the Course ID as 000000, do not type in this field. The Course ID will auto-populate when you save the course in later steps.
- Select the Add button.
Catalog Data tab
- Once the Catalog Data page displays, enter the information listed below.
- Effective Date: earliest possible date the course may be scheduled.
- Description, Long Course Title: typically the course title.
- Long Description: typically the course description.
- In the Course Units/Hours/Count section, enter the information listed below.
- Minimum Units/Maximum Units: the unit range for the class, the number will be the same for non-variable credit courses.
- Academic Progress Units: typically matches the Minimum/maximum unit and is used when calculating student academic load.
- Financial Aid Progress Units: enter the number of units for the course that the system counts towards tracking a student's financial aid load for a term.
- Last Course of Mult Term Seq: leave unchecked except for multi-term courses.
Enrollment Unit Load Calc Type:
- Actual Units: ctcLink populates the Enrollment Unit Load Calc Type field with Actual Units by default. Enter this option for any course with identical values for the Minimum Units, Maximum Units, and Academic Progress Units fields.
- Academic Units: Enter this option for any course with identical minimum units, maximum units, and academic progress units, such as remedial courses and multi-term sequence courses. Entering this option requires the system to look at the academic progress units when it calculates academic load.
- Course Count: If you count courses (in addition to units) toward academic advising requirements or limits, enter a course count value in this field.
- Course Contact Hours: Enter weekly course contact hours. Populates to the Schedule of Classes Instructor Contact Hours page to calculate total contact hours (non-FWL related).
Notes For CampusCE
The fields listed below will move to CampusCE for courses in the CNED career.
- Long Course Title*
- Course Description*
- Subject Area
- Catalog Number
The asterisk signifies persistent fields and can be edited in CampusCE.
Only classes with a status of Active will move to CampusCE.
- In the Course Grading section, enter the information listed below.
- Grading Basis: Select the appropriate grading basis for the course.
- Grade Roster Print: Select 'By Student.'
- In the Repeat for Credit Rules section, enter the information listed below.
- Repeat for Credit: If selected, this checkbox will allow students to repeat courses and open the Total Units Allowed and Total Completions Allowed boxes.
- Allow Multiple Enroll in Term: if checked, this allows students to enroll in a course multiple times per term.
- In the Additional Course Information section, enter the information listed below.
- Instructor Edit: Defaults to 'No Enrollment Choice.' Change selection if you want students to be able to select an instructor.
- Add Consent/Drop Consent: Defaults to 'No Special Consent Required,' change selection if you want to require student permission numbers to enroll in this course (This can also be defined on an individual term basis on the course schedule).
- Requirement Designation: Only used if the course has defined requirement designation. These are set up at the global level and are used to fulfill academic requirements for Advisement.
- Equivalent Course Group: Lookup or input if the course has an equivalent course group defined (See QRG for Creating Course Equivalencies).
Notes for CampusCE
Only these three grading Basis may be used in CNED: No Grade Associated (NOG), Pass/Not Pass (PNP), and Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (SUS)
CampusCE does not use consent.
- In the Course Attributes section, enter the information listed below.
- Input or Lookup course attributes, which are used for funding courses. Multiple rows can be added by selecting the [+] sign.
- In the Course Topics section, define specific topic descriptions for a course.
Notes for CampusCE
Course topics should be set in Course, to be able to apply to a class and display in CampusCE.
Units should be 0 for CNED career.
- Select the Offerings tab.
Notes for CampusCE
Units should not be used in the CNED career. All CNED classes are non-credit. If a continuing education class is taught for credit it must be in the UGRD career.
Course Offerings tab
- Once the Offerings page displays, enter the information listed below in the Course Offering section:
- Course Offering Nbr: Allow to default.
- Catalog Nbr: Input the number designated for this course.
- Academic Institution: Input or Look Up.
- Academic Group: Input or Look Up.
- Subject Area: Input or Look Up.
- Campus: Main.
- Academic Organization: Input or Look Up.
- Academic Career: Input or Look Up.
- Course Typically Offered: Optional if the college wishes students to view the terms that the course is typically available.
- Tuition Group: Input or Look Up.
- Dynamic Class Date Rule: Leave Blank unless using dynamic dates for this course.
- Allow OEE Enrollment checkbox: Used for open entry/exit course only.
- OEE Dynamic Date Rule: Used for open entry/exit course only.
- Course Approved: Courses default to Pending. Change the status to Approved when the course is ready to be scheduled.
- Allow Course to be Scheduled: Select when the course is open for scheduling.
- Exam Only course: leave unchecked.
- Selection Boxes (Catalog Print, Schedule Print, etc.)
- *OPTIONAL - Check the Split Ownership box to designate multiple Academic Organization owners for this course. When this box is checked, the Academic Organization and percent owned fields become available for entry.
- In the Enrollment Requirement Group section: Select if the course has enrollment requirements (see QRG for creating Enrollment Requirements). The QCS_CM_CRSE_CATALOG_DATA will give you the Enrollment Requirement Group Number attached to Courses that have requirements (It's the last column on this query output). QCS_CM_CRSE_RQ_SCHED lists the Courses offered in a given term with the Enrollment Requirement Group number for those with requirements. QCS_CM_ENROLL_REQUIREMENT_USE identifies Enrollment Requirement Groups that use a Requirement. QCS_CM_CLASS_ENROLL_REQ pulls the classes scheduled in the prompted term and the class requirements assigned to the class. You can see which classes have requisites at the class and/or course level.
- In the Taxonomy section, enter the information listed below.
- CIP CODE: Input or select.
- HEGIS CODE: Leave blank.
- Select the Components tab.
- Once the Components tab displays, enter the information listed below in the Course Component Section.
- Course Component: Select from list. Multiple components can be created by clicking the + sign (i.e., Lecture and Lab courses)
Instructor Weekly Contact Hours: Input Contact Hours. Note: This field is used for Faculty Workload; see additional details on the Faculty Workload QRGs.
- If this is a non-credit bearing course, take the total contact hours and divide them by 11 weeks and enter the result.
- The sum of all various component hours should equal the total class hours.
- Please refer to the SBCTC policy manual for contact hours to credit ratio policy guidelines for credit-bearing courses.
- Institutions should not deviate or alter unless a full impact-analysis that includes consideration of FWL and consultation with the State Board has been completed.
- Default Section Size: This will default the class size when scheduled
- Workload Hours/OEE Workload Hours: Leave Blank.
- Final Exam: Select from the list.
- Exam Seat Spacing: Input Exam seating requirements.
- Provider for Authentication/LMS Extraction: XML V1.1 (req to authenticate)
- Auto Create: Select for multi-component classes.
- Primary/Graded Component boxes: Select for multi-component classes on the graded component only.
- Add Fee: See QRG on Adding course fees for more details.
- In the Attributes section, input Faculty Workload 'Unit' (see additional details on the Faculty Workload QRGs).
- In the Course Attendance section, enter the information listed below.
- Instruction Mode: Input or Look Up. Multiple Instruction modes can be created by clicking the + sign (i.e., In Person and Online)
- Attendance Type: Select from the drop-down, typically use 'Class Meeting' to record attendance for all dates.
- Selection boxes: Use checkboxes to identify options for each instruction mode.
Note: If a course is scheduled in an instruction mode that is not defined on the catalog page, users will not be able to generate attendance rosters for the course.
- In the Room Characteristics Required section (optional), identify required room features for the course. Multiple room characteristics can be created by selecting [+] sign.
Notes for CampusCE
Subject area and Catalog Number are sent to CampusCE.