9.2 Opting-in to Use SEVIS Batch Functionality in PeopleSoft
Purpose: Washington State Community and Technical Colleges opting-in to use SEVIS batch functionality in PeopleSoft will first need to complete registration with SEVIS to use the SEVIS batch interface. While PeopleSoft supports SEVIS batch functionality, these two systems are not integrated, and colleges must also work directly with SEVIS to utilize batch functionality.
Audience: College staff responsible for maintaining/using SEVIS batch functionality (i.e., International Programs and IT staff).
Note: The information provided in this QRG is directly sourced from SEVIS (Technical Guidance and User Manuals). It is advised that colleges review the SEVIS website directly in case of updates or website URL changes.
- SEVIS: Technical Guidance and User Manuals: https://www.ice.gov/sevis/schools/sevis
- Application Program Interface Document for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System Batch Interface Release 6.55 (Oct 16, 2020 version): https://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/batch_api_6.55_10162020_main.pdf
You must set these SACR Security permissions:
Connection with the SEVIS Batch process is accomplished using Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS). The user system will post an XML document compliant with the SEVIS XML schema to SEVIS. SEVIS will return an XML reply with the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) response indicating the result of the XML document post.
After a successful upload, SEVIS authenticates and verifies the school or program sponsor’s information before processing the SEVIS Batch data document. Once SEVIS verifies the identity of the institution, it then processes the data forwarded by the institution. Results of the SEVIS Batch process will be communicated back to the user system via an XML-based transaction log. This response contains the result of the upload validation, including data content, data format, and data semantics. Through the result code, the generated transaction log aids the school or program sponsor identify errors in the upload request. The corrected XML may then be resubmitted to SEVIS.
SEVIS generates a compressed document for each Batch XML document accepted. The compressed document is referenced by the SEVIS Batch identifier supplied with the uploaded XML document. The school or program sponsor retrieves this compressed document, including the transaction log and any generated Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 PDF documents.
To enforce data transmission security and data integrity, the SEVIS Batch Interface performs numerous security checks. These include digital certificates to authenticate the sender's identity and a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) to encrypt the network packets before transmitting over the public Internet.
Any data sent to SEVIS through the Batch interface must be sent from a school or program sponsor registered to use Batch. Third parties are not authorized to send data to the SEVIS system.
Schools, campuses, and programs must register for the Batch process through SEVIS RTI before using the SEVIS Batch interface. In addition, the school/program president or official designee for all organizations that plan to use the SEVIS Batch interface must sign the Customer Agreement for using The SEVIS Batch-File Transfer Process. The Customer Agreement form is available from the DHS SEVIS website.
During the Batch interface registration process, the school/program sponsor must provide SEVIS their digital certificate. If the digital certificate information is successfully verified and the school or program sponsor is in a valid status in SEVIS, the user system can begin utilizing the SEVIS Batch Interface.
When the user system initiates a session using the Batch interface, SEVIS will carry out the following security measures:
- Verification that the digital certificate and SEVIS User ID presented have been registered by the school, campus, or program sponsor
- Encryption of all information communicated during the session
Schools and vendors must follow the procedures documented below to begin SEVIS Batch Beta Testing of the F/M functionality:
- Access the SEVIS Batch Beta Testing website at https://egov.ice.gov/sbtsevis or the SEVIS Alpha Testing Website at https://egov.ice.gov/alphasevis and select the Register for New Account link from the SEVIS log in page.
- Enter the required information and select the option to "Apply for Certification by the DHS to admit F and/or M Students."
- Complete registration by clicking on the "Submit" button. You will receive two emails from SEVIS: one email containing the temporary User ID assigned to create a Form I-17 (Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Nonimmigrant Students) and a second email providing a link to the SEVIS Set Password page.
- Complete the password assignment for the temporary User ID you received and log into SEVIS.
- Complete the Form I-17 as desired for the test school you wish to establish. The User Manual for Temporary Users of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (How to Complete and Submit the Form I-17, Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by Non immigrant Students) is available from the DHS SEVIS website.
- When requested to add officials, enter the information associated with those individuals performing the testing for your school. The school officials assigned to the test school may be technical personnel not assigned as officials on your Form I-17.
- Complete the remainder of Form I-17 and submit the form for approval. Please ignore any instructions regarding mailing in hard copy forms or making payments.
- Contact the SEVP Response Center at 1-800-892-4829 and provide the information listed below.
- Organization name
- Point of contact (POC) Name
- POC email address
- Phone number
- Category of school (F only, F and M, or M only)
- Name of school as it appears on the submitted Form I-17 for the test school
- The SEVP Response Center will review and approve the Form I-17.
- Once the I-17 has been approved, the temporary user associated with the test school will receive notification from SEVIS that the test school has been approved. In addition, each assigned user will be provided with a User ID and link to the SEVIS Set Password page. All users should access SEVIS to set their password and then log into the SEVIS Batch Beta Test environment to activate their user account.
- The individual assigned as Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) for the test school and each test campus must register for Batch processing. The procedures for registering for SEVIS Batch processing are documented in the User Manual for School Users of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System: Volume I Form I-17 available from the DHS SEVIS website.
- Once the registration process has been completed, Batch data files may be created and uploaded to the SEVIS test school.
- SEVIS will verify the registration, the PDSO User ID, and digital certificate and validate the uploaded document against the approved SEVIS XML schema. SEVIS will then apply the requested actions in the uploaded document to the test SEVIS database, e.g., creating new student records or updating existing ones. These records may be viewed by accessing SEVIS RTI using your institution's User ID and password.
Note: Processing of SEVIS Batch documents in the SEVIS Batch Beta Test environment is completed continuously throughout the day.
- A transaction log will be created documenting the results of the schema validation and business rule processing.
- Schools/vendors download the transaction log and review the document for any possible validation errors or processing errors. Detailed instructions for accessing SEVIS, setting passwords, and using the system are provided in the SEVIS User Manuals posted on the DHS SEVIS website.