9.2 Adding, Updating and Viewing Student Groups
Purpose: Use this document as a reference for how to add and update student groups table in ctcLink
Audience: Student Services Staff.
Student groups are used for several functions in CTC Link. Some student groups are informational, so that users can identify specific student characteristics. Other Student Groups are attached to functions like financial waivers.
In addition, Student Groups starting with “S” are created by SBCTC and used for state-level reporting. Because these codes are for the purpose of state-level reporting, use caution if using them for local operational purposes as the criteria or effective dating application may differ by purpose. You can view a list of state-level student groups in the SBCTC Student & Coding Manual (pp. 12-15).
Users must have row level security to view or update Student Groups, please contact your security administrator if you need view or update access to a specific student group code.
Adding a Student Group
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Records and Enrollment > Career and Program Information > Student Groups
- Look up student by ID, Last Name or First Name.
- If a student group has already been assigned select the [+] sign to add a new student group code.
- Input the following information:
- Academic Institution: Input or Look Up.
- Student Group: Input or Look Up the Code.
- Effective Date: Input the date this student group needs to be active.
- Status: When entering a student group this will default to "Active".
- Students may have multiple student group codes, select the View All hyperlink or use the right and left arrows to scroll thru the groups assigned to a student.
Inactivating a Student Group
- On the Student Groups page, add new details information by selecting the [+] plus button under the Details section.
- Enter the Effective Date: Input the date for the status change for the student group.
- Select "Inactive" from the Status drop-down menu.
- Select the Save button.
Note: Remember to at least set the inactive row's effective date one day after the end of the term.
Viewing Students by Student Group
Navigation: NavBar > Navigator > Records and Enrollment > Career and Program Information > View Student Groups by Student
- Institution: Input or Look Up.
- Student Group: Input or Look Up.
- Description (optional): Search student group by description.
Select Effective Dates:
- All: Returns all student groups and displays all effective-dated rows for each group.
- Most Current (Any Status): Returns all student groups and displays only the most current effective-dated row, regardless of status.
- Most Current Active: Displays the most current active student group row.
- Most Current Inactive: Displays the most current inactive status student group row.
- No Range Selection: Pulls all records.
- Select Emplid Range: Displays the ID From and ID To fields.
- Select Last Name Range: Displays the Last Name From and Last Name To fields.
- Select the Get Results button.
- Process complete.