Award a Student Degree
Purpose: Use this document as a reference to award a student degree in ctcLink.
Audience: All Staff
You must have at least one of these local college-managed security roles:
- ZC SR Student Program
- ZD SR Student Program
- ZZ SR Student Program
- ZZ Student Program Limited
If you need assistance with the above security roles, please contact your local college supervisor or IT Admin to request role access.
- Students must be term activated to active plan stacks.
- Because we term-activate into the future, students become activated in discontinued or completed stacks.
- To find these students and correct their term activations, run QCS_SR_TERM_ACT_INACTIVESTACK. This query returns all students who are term activated in inactive plan stacks and tells you what to do to resolve the issue! Be sure to run this query for past terms as well. If you want a complete list, run it for terms 0000 to 9999. Prioritize fixing errors for current and future term activations, and then clean up past term activations.
- Running QCS_SR_TERM_ACT_INACTIVESTACK and fixing the returned plan stacks will prevent future tuition calculation issues, NSC reporting errors, and various QARS and reporting-related errors.
- Recording a Graduation Application
- Awarding a Student Degree
- Viewing and Modifying Degree Data
- Remove (Revoke) a Degree
- Record a Graduation Application and Award a Student Degree Video
- 1/5/2023 Work Session Recording on Batch Term Activation
- QCS_SR_TERM_ACT_INACTIVESTACK - This query returns all students who are term activated in inactive plan stacks and tells you what to do to resolve the issue.
Navigation: Records and Enrollment > Career and Program Information > Student Program/Plan
- On the Student Program/Plan page, enter a student ID or look up a student by name.
- Select the Search button. Select the desired institution or student career number if multiple results are returned.
- Select the Include History button located at the bottom right of the page.
- Verify the data on the Student Program, Student Plan, and Student Sub-Plan tabs. These pages represent the degree being awarded to the student. Refer to local business practices regarding degree evaluation processes.
- Select the Add a New Row [+] button on the right side of the screen to insert a new effective dated row.
- The Effective Date. When a row is added, the effective date defaults to the system date.
- Enter the Effective Date to match the term's End Date (last day of the term). The Effective Date should not be any other day than the last day of the term. This supports your NSC reporting.
- Select "COMP" as the Program Action.
- If the student is term activated to future terms, you will receive a notification that states, "The student is term activated in the following future term(s)." If your campus does not have a local business process for managing these term activations, consider adopting one. For most colleges, term activation for summer AND fall has long since occurred. This means you will have students' term activated to plan stacks that may have been viable during term activation but have since been COMPed or DISCed. It's necessary to manage those stacks manually. Remember: Running QCS_SR_TERM_ACT_INACTIVESTACK and fixing the returned plan stacks will prevent future tuition calculation issues, NSC reporting errors, and various QARS and reporting-related errors.
- Note: You can significantly reduce the number of students activated for terms beyond completion by using a Global Exclusion Rule to ignore students with an expected graduation term earlier than the activation term when running Batch Term Activations.
- In the attempt to "COMP" a Student Program Plan where the student is currently enrolled in classes, a notification states, "Warning -- Student is enrolled in classes after the effective date. (14600,616) The action selected may require the student to be removed from the classes he / she has pre-enrolled. Otherwise the student might not have a program/plan associated with those previously enrolled courses."
- Enter the Expected Graduation Term if the term was not previously entered when the graduation application was received. If a term exists in the field, ensure it is the correct term you will award.
- Select the Student Degrees tab.
Degree Checkout Stats can be found in the Student Details section of the Student Degrees tab.
- Degree Checkout Stat: It will display "Approved" and be grayed out, and the student's homepage will indicate this status.
- Completion Term: Input the term the degree is being awarded.
- Degree GPA: Input the Degree GPA if that is a part of your college's business practice.
- Degree Honors 1 and 2: Input or look up Honors codes if applicable.
- Select the Update Degrees button. The record will display, "The Degree records were updated successfully," and automatically save.
- The Degree Checkout Stat field will update to "Degree Awarded."
- Further edits will require a user to revoke the degree or make updates on the Student Degree page. Follow the Remove (Revoke) a Degree QRG to revoke a degree.
- Process complete.
The video below demonstrates the process actions described in the steps listed above. There is no audio included with this video. Select the play button to start the video.